running shoes now or later?

Options
I am walking my first 10K next Saturday and I am a little unsure of what to do about shoes. I have never really used good shoes for working out, for instance my shoes right now are sketchers and while they are sports shoes, I am sure any true athlete would laugh at them.

So I had planned on asking my dad for nice running shoes for my birthday in May. I went today and the sales guy helped me pick out a type, but I didn't want to buy yet because there could be a coupon for that store in my race packet next weekend.

So my current shoes I have are sketchers....I have my older pair which fit good, but are older. And then I have a newer pair but I think they are slightly too big because my foot slides around a bit. I figure the older ones are better to wear for the 10K, but not better by much.

I COULD go next Friday and get a new pair of shoes with the coupon that will likely be in my race packet so I have nice shoes to wear the next day.....I figure it's pretty stupid to walk further than I ever have, in shoes that are old. But yet, is it smart to walk in shoes that haven't been broken in? And, it's kind of silly, but if I get my shoes now I will have nothing to open on my birthday next month...at least from my dad anyway. What to do?

Replies

• amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I am walking my first 10K next Saturday and I am a little unsure of what to do about shoes. I have never really used good shoes for working out, for instance my shoes right now are sketchers and while they are sports shoes, I am sure any true athlete would laugh at them.

So I had planned on asking my dad for nice running shoes for my birthday in May. I went today and the sales guy helped me pick out a type, but I didn't want to buy yet because there could be a coupon for that store in my race packet next weekend.

So my current shoes I have are sketchers....I have my older pair which fit good, but are older. And then I have a newer pair but I think they are slightly too big because my foot slides around a bit. I figure the older ones are better to wear for the 10K, but not better by much.

I COULD go next Friday and get a new pair of shoes with the coupon that will likely be in my race packet so I have nice shoes to wear the next day.....I figure it's pretty stupid to walk further than I ever have, in shoes that are old. But yet, is it smart to walk in shoes that haven't been broken in? And, it's kind of silly, but if I get my shoes now I will have nothing to open on my birthday next month...at least from my dad anyway. What to do?
  • WillPillageYourVillageForFood
    Options
    Just a quick question....are the sketchers the shoes you normally walk in? If so, I would wear those because you are used to them and know how your feet feel in them. As far as anyone laughing at you, I say screw them, the only thing that matters is that you are comfortable and finish the race. I wear Asics only because they come in tiny sizes but they are the gaudiest and ugliest shoes out there in my opinion and I really don't care what people think, I am just glad that my feet don't hurt.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    and if your dad runs away and joins the circus then there will be no present from dad...so this one is a real brain twister,.,,,I will have to get back to you soon
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    First of all, if you are walking, don't get running shoes, get walking shoes. The motion of your foot is different and therefore, you need a different kind of support and cushion.

Of your three options, I would say wear your older shoes that fit well. Yes, they are older, and probably not the ideal situation, but you don't want to wear shoes that are too big or brand new. Either one will probably cause terrible blisters that will make you miserable by mile two. You want to finish feeling good so that you'll do another one!

I wish you the best of luck on Saturday! My fingers are crossed for sunny, warm weather and not a lot of wind :smile:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    don't get new shoes now. I did that for the 5K, and while it was "ok", I would've been more comfortable in the broken in ones.
  • amymeenieminymo
    Options
    Just a quick question....are the sketchers the shoes you normally walk in? If so, I would wear those because you are used to them and know how your feet feel in them. As far as anyone laughing at you, I say screw them, the only thing that matters is that you are comfortable and finish the race. I wear Asics only because they come in tiny sizes but they are the gaudiest and ugliest shoes out there in my opinion and I really don't care what people think, I am just glad that my feet don't hurt.

No I don't care what people think, I'm just saying despite the sketchers LOOKING like athletic shoes and me using them as such, they don't really compare to actual running or walking shoes. They are more for the look of athletic shoes and not the cushion and support of them.

But yes, they are the ones I have been walking in all along.
  • amymeenieminymo
    Options
    First of all, if you are walking, don't get running shoes, get walking shoes. The motion of your foot is different and therefore, you need a different kind of support and cushion.

Of your three options, I would say wear your older shoes that fit well. Yes, they are older, and probably not the ideal situation, but you don't want to wear shoes that are too big or brand new. Either one will probably cause terrible blisters that will make you miserable by mile two. You want to finish feeling good so that you'll do another one!

I wish you the best of luck on Saturday! My fingers are crossed for sunny, warm weather and not a lot of wind :smile:

Thank you!!!!!
  • amymeenieminymo
    Options
    and if your dad runs away and joins the circus then there will be no present from dad...so this one is a real brain twister,.,,,I will have to get back to you soon

ummm, okaaaay
  • phetzgetfit
    Options
    I had this same dilemma when i walked my first marathon. i had been training in not so good shoes and they were really worn out. i bought really good shoes just before the race. bad move. I had horrible blisters and it almost ruined my race and i think i would have been fine in my old shoes. I recommend getting a really good shoe, just not changing shoes right before a race.

Don't know of anyone mentioned this before (I forgot to read all the posts before i jumped in) but I do this now:

Even though it was expensive to begin with, I bought two of my favorite shoes (same style, same size...in fact i always buy the same kind...wait for a sale). I made one pair my "sunday" pair. Doesn't have to be that day of the week of course, but i try to just wear that pair about one day a week but mostly train in the other pair. That way, when the pair i train in most is nearly worn out, I have a slightly broken in pair ready to use (and I buy a new pair that then becomes the sunday pair).

Did that make any sense?
  • debmac63
    debmac63 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I had this same dilemma when i walked my first marathon. i had been training in not so good shoes and they were really worn out. i bought really good shoes just before the race. bad move. I had horrible blisters and it almost ruined my race and i think i would have been fine in my old shoes. I recommend getting a really good shoe, just not changing shoes right before a race.

Don't know of anyone mentioned this before (I forgot to read all the posts before i jumped in) but I do this now:

Even though it was expensive to begin with, I bought two of my favorite shoes (same style, same size...in fact i always buy the same kind...wait for a sale). I made one pair my "sunday" pair. Doesn't have to be that day of the week of course, but i try to just wear that pair about one day a week but mostly train in the other pair. That way, when the pair i train in most is nearly worn out, I have a slightly broken in pair ready to use (and I buy a new pair that then becomes the sunday pair).

Did that make any sense?

I love that idea!
  • phetzgetfit
    Options
    thanks. i loved it to. not my idea originally. i just read about it somewhere when i was first training. I forgot to mention that once a pair of shoes gets too worn out, it becomes my latest pair of gardening shoes.!
  • amymeenieminymo
    Options

Did that make any sense?

That's a great idea, thanks for sharing! And your advice about using new shoes.....I will be sticking to my old ones for the race!
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Amy, it took me almost two full weeks to break in my new shoes... the "breaking" was mostly my feet aching, if you know what I mean. Don't get yourself stuck in the middle of an event in shoes that are going to give you blisters the size of quarters (speaking from experience), but I wouldn't wait any longer than you have to to get yourself into a good pair of shoes. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Did that make any sense?

Yes, a ton of sense... and it's brilliant!