Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

How to lose weight in an office job?

I work a 9-5 job in an office. I rarely go out of the office and I find it very difficult to not snack during the day. I have put on just under a stone since starting my new job and I just don't know how to combat putting on more weight!

Any help would be great!

Replies

• careyharv
    careyharv Posts: 134 Member
    I too work an office job. I have a couple of suggestions that may help. One is to not keep food at your desk. If your office has a kitchen, keep all your food in there. If you are in an office building and not on the first floor - take the stairs. For your lunch - leave the office and go for a short walk - even if it is just around the block. And if you can, walk around to talk to people about work issues. I know in my office the other people do not answer their email. So I would walk to their office and ask them. Good luck!
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    I don't bring a lot of food with me to work. and I make sure I have no money for the cafeteria. when I'm at home I let myself eat whatever, but while I'm at work at least I can plan ahead and control my portions/quality/etc.

in terms of calorie burning/moving around I don't have any suggestions really... except sometimes I take excessive trips to and from the copier or printer. but that's kind of a waste of time so maybe your boss would not appreciate it :) haha
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    First you really have to want it.

Second do not keep food at your desk

3rd, drink water if you want to put something in your mouth, or even gum

4th, Eat protein, it makes you feel full longer.

5th, you really have to want it. We can't stop you from eating, only you can do that.
  • annrum
    annrum Posts: 144
    It's really difficult sometimes in an office job, if you hit a quiet period. What I'd do, is, as some of the others have suggested is not have anything easily available, or if you must have something, get some sunflower seeds or you could try munchyseeds (either www.munchyseeds.co.uk or I'm pretty sure I've seen them in Sainsburys) and weigh out a portion of those & eat them 1 at a time and take the time to actually taste them. It'll slow you down, which can be part of the problem - if you get a kitkat or choccy bar, it's gone in 15 seconds & you don't realise it.
    Drink loads of water. If you're happy drinking from a bottle get a 750ml or 1l one & keep refilling it. Every time you feel hungry, take a sip of water instead. Only if your stomach is growling reach for proper food! Our brains are bad at interpreting hungry/thirsty signals, often we're more thirsty than hungry.
    Also, have a decent breakfast - it should keep you going through to lunchtime.
    If you can, get out at lunch, even if it's just for 30 minutes walk round town/the block/wherever :)

Oh - if you're getting into a snack machine habit, everytime you fancy a choccy bar/crisps/coke/whatever, put the equivalent money into a jar & earmark it as a treat for yourself (new clothes/spa trip/holiday money etc etc etc) - you'll be amazed at how much you're saving up & it gives you an incentive to avoid the snack :-)

Hope that helps a bit :-)
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    I make sure I do some sort of exercise before work so I am not so lethargic all day. Usually it is just a brisk one mile walk with my dog in the morning. I always make sure I bring lunch and snacks so I am not tempted by all of the food floating around my office (lots of leftover meeting food, like muffins, pastry, etc. as well as bowls of candy everywhere). I have fallen into a groove of knowing when I get snacky and when I will be at my weakest. I eat breakfast at home, eat almonds as a mid-morning snack, eat lunch, then have a yogurt in the afternoon. It keeps me full all day without giving into the office temptations!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    eat less & move more. That's about it.

Workout outside of work hours.

Hit your cal goals daily.

Take food to work that is nutritious & will fill you up. (I like tuna cans & fruit)
  • HeikkiLaukkanen
    HeikkiLaukkanen Posts: 123 Member
    I'm going to go against the grain and say keep food and snacks at your desk! That being said make sure it's stuff like broccoli, carrot sticks, etc. Log everything you eat in your MFP journal. Drink your water. Take the stairs instead of an elevator, find little ways to bring up your heart rate through the course of the day.

You have to want it. Success is where planning and preparation meet.
  • I have the same problem. Started an office job and put on 20 lbs. I love all the responses! Great help and motivation. "you have to want it" is definitely something I have been struggling with. Laziness wins my want most of the time, but stepping on the scale this morning was like a slap in the face. Its TIME. Haha.

Anyway, to offer my tip of advice, I enjoy my work at the office, but it doesnt get me moving or stimulate my muscles. If you are like me and find it difficult to get that motivation to get to the gym on your own schedule, find a part time job/volunteer doing something physical of take a fun class. I started working 2 nights a week at a horse barn and LOVE it. Lugging water buckets and wheelbarrows makes me feel great. I also did a Zumba class with my mom last season. What a BLAST! Also, if you are responsible for cleaning the office like i am, cleaning more often is a good idea. I vacuum about once a week, but it could be done every other day at least.

Good luck and thanks all for the motivating words and advice!
  • JenniferInNY
    JenniferInNY Posts: 65 Member
    Everyone's different, but I say keep snacks at your desk -- but only very healthy ones, like baby carrots, cucumber sticks, almonds, greek yogurt. Then, when you get hungry, or when there are office treats, you have something to eat that's healthy. And log EVERYTHING -- even the piece of candy that you steal from the candy jar. That usually keeps the mindless eating at bay for me.

Sometimes I stand in my cubicle when I'm on the phone or doing something repetitive. Then I have to bend over or squat a little to type, which I figure is just more movement and good for me. But I can only do that for maybe 1-2 hours per day.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Other stuff:
    park further away than you need to
    take the stairs
    do some air squats every time you go to the bathroom (drink lots of water so you have to go often :tongue:)
    have a good stretch every time you go to the printer

A bit of willpower goes a long way too :) I keep "healthy" snacks as well as the most addictive peanut butter in the world at work. I just know how much I can have of it each day. Too easy :smile: