Q: Effects of busting individual levels, but under calorie g

Options
So you've ended the day under your calorie goal, even by 200 calories let's say, but you've gone over on protein or sugar carbs or something else.

How is your body actually dealing with that? I guess the question is, what levels are okay to bust through without too much weight concern and which should you also watch with your calorie level?

* I don't wish to be rude, but if you don't know can you refrain from posting - i hope this would also be of interest to others as well as me.

Michael

Replies

• hazedot
    hazedot Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I know that salt is one of the macros that you should refrain from going over as it just encourages the body to retain water, thus making you put on weight. I'm pretty sure that sugar is one you should watch out for too but then I regularly go over on and so long as I keep the sodium to a low then my weight moves in the right direction.

Hope this helps just a little bit :)
  • SparksFly460
    Options
    I'm a hard believer in calories in and calories out. Excess of calories = weight gain...whether it be calories from fat, carbs etc. "A calorie, is a calorie, is a calories....is a calorie".

1 gram of carbs = 4 calories
    1 gram of protein = 4 calories
    1 gram of fat = 9 calories

Nutritionally....yes, it's 'best' to keep a balance. What type of balance is just based on the individual, their preference and/or needs.
  • caroline_g
    caroline_g Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Too much sodium will make you retain water and bloat. Too many carbs can have a negative impact as well but different people react in different ways. You'd have to be WAY over protein for it to be an issue. Sugar really depends on the type of sugar, which MFP doesn't take account of, sugar is sugar whether it's a spoonful of granulated sugar or an apple.
  • amyofftherecord
    amyofftherecord Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Try not to go over your sodium, because that will make you retain water.

Keep an eye on sugar. As long as your calories are under your goal you'll lose weight even with too much sugar, but added sugars come from foods that don't offer much in the way of vitamin/mineral content, so you'll feel like hell. MFP doesn't seem to distinguish between added sugars and natural sugars, though, so if you know it came from fruit and not candy, it's less of a concern. Same with carbs: as long as you're eating complex carbs from healthy sources, it isn't a concern, but if you're a white-bread-and-candy kind of guy, stay under your carb goal.

Protein is more or less a free pass.

Fat is another like carbs: only worry about going over if you know it's the wrong kind (i.e. saturated fats from fast foods or too much red meat). If your fat comes from things like nuts and lean meats, I wouldn't worry as long as your total calories are okay.

That wasn't very concise, but hopefully it was at least a little informative.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    going over on protein GOOD your body can handle up to 2g per kg (0.9 g per lbs) of protein
    going over on carbs and fat if you are not diabetic or watching it for other reason is ok - your body will burn it anyway as you are on deficit in general - altough lot of people will tell you that carbs are evil or fat is evil, depending if they are on low fat or low carbs diet

watch sodium, you may want to watch sugar, saturated fat, trans fat,
    fieber is good, vitamins, calcium, iron good...
  • michaeltoye
    Options
    Thank you all - very useful info :-)
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I believe sugar makes us fat, so I watch that one.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    holy broscience.

cals in vs out is KEY.

If you are set at MFP base macros then the protein is low and carbs are high.

If you have an abnormally high sodium day (without adequate potassium or water intake) then you will retain water. This does not hinder fat loss.

For every gram of carbs, the body holds 3grams of water so excess carbs can cause excess water retention or "bloating". If you are under maintenance cals this still doesn't hinder fat loss.

If you are under cals and over on sugar, whether it is from bananas or pop tarts you will still lose weight.

p.s don't weigh in every day. Weight loss is not linear.

Have a read of this
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/420390-40-things-you-should-know
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Don't go over sugar ot salt....but if you're working out you should have higher levels of protein. MFP sets the protein levels low. For someone who works out 5days a week you should be getting about 150 grams of protein a day. This is help with muscle blding etc
  • TheDeviation
    Options
    I know that salt is one of the macros...
    It's not a macronutrient.

Like chrisdavey said, don't weigh in every day. I weigh in monthly (with measurements). For most, weekly is more than enough.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I believe sugar makes us fat, so I watch that one.
    Calories make us fat.