Confused about Calories and disheartened

Options
2»

Replies

• sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I am in the same quandary! I exercise 7-8 times a week. It's like an addiction. I burn anywhere between 350-1000 calories a day. I am not about to work that hard and then eat it right back. No thank you! I lost 12 lbs so far and may eat close to my calories once a week. I have seen many posts that say you should and many that say you shouldn't. Patience, exercise, and healthy eating are my own directions to follow. Keep doing you and eventually your body will adjust.

you know our bodies get used to the exercise we do so thats why they say start low gradually increase and change it often from weight bearing to cardo swimming walking one week exercise classes another its like walking the same distance everyday we wont lose the weight by this as our bodies know we do this its our life also exercise alone wont lose weight unless its very extreme and you eat very little
    Try changing exercises x
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    If you have used the goal generator on here and are close to your recommended net calories but are not losing weight, you might want to find somewhere to get a bodpod or other body measuring test done. When I was tested in a bod pod, they gave me an estimate of my RMR (resting metabolic rate) and a chart of the estimated calories I would burn based on activity levels. In my case, they are pretty similar to what MFP generated, but it's possible it could turn out to be different. I have also read people posting about things like the fitbit/bodybugg, which might help you get on track, though I haven't used one.
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I support eating exercise calories back because it provides you with proper fuel and you are still eating at a deficit if you're going with the MFP default.

Also, find alternatives to the scale to feel rewarded. Measurements, bf%, how healthy/energetic you feel, those endorphin rushes, genuine enjoyment of exercise, how you feel in your clothes, cholesterol indices, knowledge of increased longevity, enhanced quality of life, new friends you're making at your gym or on MFP, etc. Find other things to value with this because the scale is a fickle, fickle beast and will whip your soul around for fun.
  • Noel1114
    Noel1114 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    No problem in not eating your exercise calories. Obviously doing this should help with weight loss. Seems strange you lose one week and then steady the next. keep track of everything you eat, are you rewarding yourself for the eweight loss week an dnot recording it ( its easy to do) I;ve found by recording everything I have taken foods out of my diet that i feel just aren:t worth the calories.
  • princilam99
    princilam99 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    This is the way MFP calculates it... Let's say your body needs 2310 to maintain the weight. And you choose the setting to lose 2 pounds a week. Well, MFP is going to deduct 1000 calories from your "maintain" number in order to give you a calorie deficit of 7000 (each pound is 3500 x 2 = 7000). Which means ideally you should be able to eat 1310 calories, every day (just an example), without any exercise and lose weight (because the calories have already been deducted for you). If you exercise, you are going beyond the 7000 calorie deficit for the week. MFP fears your body will go into starvation mode so they want you to eat the calories back, so that you stay within the range. Hope that makes sense.

That being said, everyone is different and some people find that eating their exercise calories just doesn't work for them. They don't lose weight like that. I eat mostly all of my exercise calories back, leaving just a few on good days or on bad days I go over a bit. It all depends on what works for you. Try eating a bit back and see if that gets the weight loss going.
  • jodren11
    jodren11 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    bump
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    The premise behind it is that you want to create a relatively small caloric deficit. If the caloric deficit becomes too large, your body will resist and do things like induce excess hunger or make you tired and lazy so that you expend less energy. In the end the weight loss battle becomes harder with less payoff.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Your going to get people on both sides of the fence on this but I stand with the camp of eating back your exercise calories. I also believe in using a HRM to get a more accurate calculation of your calories burned. My BMR is set to 2450 and that is with an MFP deficit built in to lose 1 lb. a week. (500 calorie deficit built in) I split train most days and with eating the majority of my exercise calories back (about 85% leaving 15% for error) I consume 3200 calories a day and after 32 months I am still losing 1 to 2 lbs. a week. You do not want to run a large caloric deficit or you stand to slow your metabolism and cause your body to start holding on to calories you are taking in because it is not getting enough to fuel your system.... Good Luck......
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    What really helped me was to do as another MFP member did... I set my MFP goal calories as my maintenance calories. Then I log my calories and exercise as usual. What I watch is the number at the bottom that says (calories remaining). When logging your calories this way... that calories remaining number is actually the deficit I have created. I try to keep it between a 500 and 1,000 calorie deficit so that I will lose 1-2lbs per week.

So if my goal calories say 1800 (that's my maintenance calories) and I eat 1400 calories, MFP will say I have 400 calories remaining. That means I've created a 400 calorie deficit. If I go for a short stroll and burn 100 calories. MFP adds that to the 1800 making it 1900. Now my deficit is 500 calories (1800 +100 - 1400 = 500)

I makes it easy to see when I need to eat more or when I need to eat less.

I eat back some of my workout calories b/c (1) I want to lose fat and not muscle (2) it gives me a way to workout a lot and burn a lot of calories so that I can eat a little more on special nights out (3) some of my workouts are pretty intense - I need that fuel and get tired and weak feeling if I don't. I can't do intervals on elliptical at high heart rate and then eat 1200 calories. I would feel horrible. If I feel horrible, guess how long this new "lifestyle" is going to last???
  • deisegirl34
    Options
    Last week I lost 4 1/2 lbs and then on Saturday I had a cheat meal, which was just homemade burger with oven chips and a small chocolate bar for desert and the next morning when I weighed in I had gained 3 1/2 lbs back!! I just don't get it. I then read after cheat days the weight gain is not real weight and is just water weight and if you start back straight away you will lose it but I did start back on Sunday, exercising and strict diet again and when I weighed in this morning the 3 1/2 lbs were still there!! what the hell!!! It's so frustrating and at times soul destroying.

^^^^ this exact same thing happened to me!!! On thursday the scale showed I had lost 3 1/2 lbs, had a cheat meal on friday night, worked out over the weekend (gym and cycling) and yesterday the scale was up 4lbs! I was so disheartened by it i ate a Crunchie chocolate bar, which was stupid!!

:smile: Thank God I am not the only one, it's good to hear the same thing happens and I am not some sort of genetic weirdo (which I feel sometimes as weight just falls off the rest of my family)

but it's definitely tough going and would have me wanting to reach for the chocolate too. I just feel like this week is terrible now as I am just trying to lose the fecking weight I put on from just 1 cheat meal!! Frustrating is just not the word :sad:
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I have also never understood the mindset of eating back what you've burned off (especially ALL of it!). I typically eat close to my calorie limit for the day and stay under, even before adding in my exercise calories. I rarely eat back any of my exercise calories (maybe half of them depending on how much I worked out and how hungry I am) and I've lost 13.6 pounds this month. So I guess what works for some doesn't work for others.

Bcause you have over 100 pounds to lose, your body can cope with a large daily deficit in calories - basically you've got a lot of fat stored.

But someone who only has less than 30, maybe even 50 pounds to lose, will end up losing some of their muscle mass - remember muscle burns calories at rest. This in turn will slow down their metabolism.... which in turn will slow down the wright loss.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I can not get my head around this whole eating your exercise calories, I know this may sound stupid and naive but it just does not register in my head. I like to eat within my range and then if I exercise that is a bonus! Something is not working though because I am not loosing pounds. One week I will loose then the next nothing! I would love it to just be steady!

Can anyone explain why I would eat my exercise calories...

Please no "you are stupid" comments, not in a good mood today as the scales didn't move this morning :(
    MFP has calculated our total calories required each day WITHOUT exercise to lose 1lb per week.
    And after we log in our exercises, our calorie limit goes up.
    Why?
    Because it's telling us to eat our exercise calories.
    Large deficits are unhealthy, because while you will lose weight, what's the quality of the weight loss?
    In many cases you'll lose lean body mass - MUSCLE - which LOWERS your metabolic rate, making weight loss harder.
    Then you have to lower calories even more to compensate, and the cycle continues.
    Be smart.
    Exercise well both cardio and resistance, and eat back the calories.
    The exercise will RAISE your metabolism and burn more fat at rest.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    This gets to me a bit after reading it as a topic 5-10 times a day on here... not that I don't understand the confusion. I didn't get it at first either, but some of the responses are... Meh.

Anyways, think of it this way - as it was what made me finally understand the logic of eating back exercise calories. If you use up all the fuel you have for the day, then exercise, where exactly do you think your body is going to get energy from? It will start taking it from your muscle tissues before it will take away from your fat stores. Do you really want to lose lean muscle mass and be left with a flabby, weak body? I think not.

Sure, one day here and there of not eating back all your exercise calories is fine. But not eating them back at all, or only half of them consistently is not good. That's when your body's metabolism will eventually start to slow down to conserve the stores that are left in your body. "Restarting" a slow metabolism is not an easy thing to do, either. Hope this helped, best of luck to you! :heart:
  • Kelly_S
    Kelly_S Posts: 11
    Options
    My rule has always been to eat half of my exercise calories. It gives you enough for your body to get through, but you still get that extra weight loss kick.

I would have to agree here too! I should eat 1500 a day and if I burn 400 through a run I'll eat about 1700 - 1800 depending on how hungry I am. I can totally see how its confusing but eating 1700 even if it means burning my exercise cals is probably less than I'd eat if I wasn't watching what I was eating and the exercise burns fat and cals AND boosts your metabolism. Why not try eating half the exercise cals back for one week and see if it makes any difference? Maybe try veg and lean protein (carrot sticks and humous) instead of say an extra slice of toast...
  • chellekoren
    chellekoren Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    You are going to get a lot of responses on this question. From my experience, and I am still tweaking my diet and my needs change like the season, apparently, you need to try the recommended settings while eating back most of your calories. Log every bite, sauce, raisin, chip, etc. Keep on the same track for a while, probably two or three months. See what happens. If nothing, evaluate how many pounds you are trying to lose and make sure you aren't trying to lose too many too soon. If you see a possible discrepancy try that for a while. Try looking at WHAT you are eating and tweak that. Maybe your body works best on higher protein or on more vegetables. It's a guessing game and once you find a solution, the game changes on you!!! You plateau and you need to change your workout, make it more intense or just try something completely different to surprise your body.

My body seems to be smarter than I am and it is frustrating. I am not giving up though. There is a lot of information on this site alone, not to mention other sites.

Oh and last thing. I agree what others say, get some sleep. It really does make a difference. Then you get exercise harder and longer.
  • marianne_s
    Options
    I am in the same quandary! I exercise 7-8 times a week. It's like an addiction. I burn anywhere between 350-1000 calories a day. I am not about to work that hard and then eat it right back. No thank you! I lost 12 lbs so far and may eat close to my calories once a week. I have seen many posts that say you should and many that say you shouldn't. Patience, exercise, and healthy eating are my own directions to follow. Keep doing you and eventually your body will adjust.

Ok, can I explain the difference between MFP and any other calorie controlled diet.

Most calorie controlled diet clubs will advise you to eat your BMR + daily activity calories, and then exercise to create a deficit, without eating the exercise calories back.

For example -
    BMR = 1600 calories
    Exercise = 400 calories
    Daily Total = 1200

Whereas, MFP generates a BUILT IN CALORIE DEFICIT to allow for weight loss, without any exercise.
    So, when you exercise you are creating a larger deficit - which some would consider a good thing. But it isn't when you get closer to goal, as you will end up losing muscle mass and possibly slowing down your metabolism.
  • star87cc
    Options
    Its something I have been endlessly reading into to try and understand too! I can completely see arguments from both sides, but the one thing I have gathered from all of this is that .... everyone is different, the same as someone can sit and eat chocolate and burgers and rubbish and not gain a ounce, whereas some of us just have to look at chocolate and put on weight! So not eveything religiously applies to everyone. I've decided to mix things up a bit this time, keep my body guessing I suppose, see how that works, one week I only went to the gym twice and I ate my cals each day - I lost 3lb, the next week I went to the gym 6 days I was strict with my cal's and again I lost 3lb, this week im going to go gym 6 times again but im going to try eat back half my exercise cals (mainly because im too full normally and do struggle to eat my alloted cals) I havent even started on changing my food types yet lol! but I guess its about trying and finding out how your body works best :)
  • marianne_s
    Options
    Its something I have been endlessly reading into to try and understand too! I can completely see arguments from both sides, but the one thing I have gathered from all of this is that .... everyone is different, the same as someone can sit and eat chocolate and burgers and rubbish and not gain a ounce, whereas some of us just have to look at chocolate and put on weight! So not eveything religiously applies to everyone. I've decided to mix things up a bit this time, keep my body guessing I suppose, see how that works, one week I only went to the gym twice and I ate my 1200 cal each day - I lost 3lb, the next week I went to the gym 6 days I was strict with my cal's and again I lost 3lb, this week im going to go gym 6 times again but im going to try eat back half my exercise cals (mainly because im too full normally and do struggle to eat more than 1200 cals) I havent even started on changing my food types yet lol! but I guess its about trying and finding out how your body works best :)

It's not an argument per se - it's a question of trying to explain so people can fully understand how MFP works and then apply it correctly to themselves.

The post below clearly explains how to set up your own details on MFP and why.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics

We already know the detrimental causes of over-eating, but people need become more aware of the potential (long term) issues that can come from not eating enough (calories).
  • star87cc
    Options
    Its something I have been endlessly reading into to try and understand too! I can completely see arguments from both sides, but the one thing I have gathered from all of this is that .... everyone is different, the same as someone can sit and eat chocolate and burgers and rubbish and not gain a ounce, whereas some of us just have to look at chocolate and put on weight! So not eveything religiously applies to everyone. I've decided to mix things up a bit this time, keep my body guessing I suppose, see how that works, one week I only went to the gym twice and I ate my 1200 cal each day - I lost 3lb, the next week I went to the gym 6 days I was strict with my cal's and again I lost 3lb, this week im going to go gym 6 times again but im going to try eat back half my exercise cals (mainly because im too full normally and do struggle to eat more than 1200 cals) I havent even started on changing my food types yet lol! but I guess its about trying and finding out how your body works best :)

It's not an argument per se - it's a question of trying to explain so people can fully understand how MFP works and then apply it correctly to themselves.

The post below clearly explains how to set up your own details on MFP and why.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics

We already know the detrimental causes of over-eating, but people need become more aware of the potential (long term) issues that can come from not eating enough (calories).

I agree, and I understand the MFP calculations, I've done all the BMRs, BF% and BFS so that I could have all the data to me, and I've done weightwatchers in the past where you do best when eating your allocated points etc I'm just finding what I'm comfortable with, I havent restricted my normal diet as such I was just suiting my Cal's to match. I've also trained my head for example to realise that when I go to the cinema that is the treat, not the popcorn, coke and sweets! (eek this accounted for so much! and so much cheaper now too!) saving me lbs and £'s :)

Once this week is out I shall however change my Cals to match my BMR as I've learnt alot more since actually reading so much on the forum this last few weeks :)