Anyone else feel hungrier on days they DON'T workout?

Options
Okay, so I am sure this is weird and maybe I am the only one, but I usually work-out at least 5 days/ week, sometimes 6 if I feel like it. However, I feel like on the days that I don't work-out, I am super hungry and that everything digests faster. Is this normal?

Replies

• KKluvUSC
    KKluvUSC Posts: 37
    Options
    Okay, so I am sure this is weird and maybe I am the only one, but I usually work-out at least 5 days/ week, sometimes 6 if I feel like it. However, I feel like on the days that I don't work-out, I am super hungry and that everything digests faster. Is this normal?
  • joonieB
    joonieB Posts: 101
    Options
    I am exactly the opposite! My work out days I am sooo much hungrier. I've learned to eat about 100-150 calories extra on those days, in the morning hours. It seems to "get my hunger" out of the way faster. I don't know what to do though, about extra hunger on the non-workout days.
  • angelinaz
    angelinaz Posts: 262
    Options
    I am exactly like you are. On the nights that I do martial arts, I definitely am not hungry afterwards. I usually have a protein shake just because...100 calories. On the nights that I don't do martial arts, I feel soooo hungry and can just eat and eat and eat and..... :heart:
  • xbonbonx
    xbonbonx Posts: 170
    Options
    I'm opposite, for the most part... but maybe working out keeps your mind on what you need to do, and non-workout days feel like lax days to your brain and it thinks you need to eat more, so it sends you a signal that you're hungry... I don't know if that even makes sense. it's late :laugh:
  • stephalvarez5
    stephalvarez5 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    i *think* it has something to do with your metabolism. think about it, your body doesn't know you're taking a day off so it assumes it's just another work out day since it's what you do most often then not. therefore it's expecting more food.

also i have this theory that on days we work out we are less stressed and less focused on "what we can and cannot eat" because we have a lil more of a ways with earned calories. also, when your mind is occupied with something else (focused on form and exercise) you don't think of the things you don't/can't have. this applies to all aspects of life, or so i've learned.

.s.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I find the same thing. I am much more in control of my eating when I work out
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    that's very much the case for me. i don't know why this happens.

maybe banks or songbyrd or kerri or cmriverside and post up with an answer. :ohwell:
  • rockchic9382
    Options
    Exercising works as an appetite suppressant. That is probab;y a huge factor of why you are hungrier days you don't work out. Have you ever noticed you may be a little hungry before you hit the gym and when you're done you're not hungry at all.

174331.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Exercising works as an appetite suppressant. That is probab;y a huge factor of why you are hungrier days you don't work out. Have you ever noticed you may be a little hungry before you hit the gym and when you're done you're not hungry at all.

^^ This is a huge part of it. You also repair and do and growth when you're resting. That may influence your physical hunger feelings due to an increase in growth hormone. I also feel hungrier on my resting days, and I go ahead and eat more.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    The lady above me knows far more then I do, so I'd just sit back and read her post. I would have very little meaningful insight to add to it.:glasses:
  • cquick
    cquick Posts: 220
    Options
    i agree with banks/song...do you notice if you're drinking more water on your workout days and less water on your rest days? maybe take in some more h2o or a tea, add an extra snack like prunes, dried apricots, a handful o nuts or a bananer?

i loves bananers....and sammiches....:happy:
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    thank you banks and songbyrd for coming onto the thread, as requested. :happy: and rockchic thanks for sharing your knowledge too!
    :flowerforyou:
  • purrrr
    purrrr Posts: 1,073
    Options
    I'm absolutely the same, the more i excercise during the day, the less hungry i am... Apart from what SBS already said and she knows so much about the physical part of it, I would say there is also a spiritual side where people involved in sports are less apt to commit crime, to lechery and generally unhuman acts. It's like we invest our energy in excercise instead of wasting it on doing something unnatural. Overeating is also unnatural so the more often we excercise the less we will ever feel the urge to eat so much. Sport elevates us at so many levels :flowerforyou:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Yes! Today is my rest day and I'm always starving! I think exercise suppresses my appetite plus I have more time on my hands while I'm not working out to want to eat. :noway:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Today I was supposed to work out but I just twisted my ankle falling down the stairs in the crappy dark hallway of my apartment building and I am much hungrier than I would have been otherwise. :sad:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Today I was supposed to work out but I just twisted my ankle falling down the stairs in the crappy dark hallway of my apartment building and I am much hungrier than I would have been otherwise. :sad:

Ouch!! Hope you are feeling ok! :flowerforyou:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    This one hurts more than when I strained my other ankle on Tuesday during Turbokick. :grumble: They need to fix the lights in this building. :explode:
  • Pattyisgr8
    Pattyisgr8 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. On the day (today) when I don't workout I'm starving, but I really try to pump extra water in me just to make sure its real hunger (plus I get in some more water!)
  • butterflydiva
    Options
    Yes, all the time. On days when I do workout I'm rarely hungry and find it easier to say within my calorie range. But on days I don't (usually the weekends) I'm starving and want to eat everything I can.
  • cmstief
    cmstief Posts: 59
    Options
    wow i can totally identify. today i didn't exercise and i totally splurged and went way way over my calorie count! but i was soooooo hungry. i drank tons of water too.. i guess its okay to let yourself splurge every once and awhile.. : )