Cardio, cardio, cardio...

Options
Okay so I want to incorporate more cardio into my workout. The problem is - I get SO FREAKING BORED!!!!! See with strength training it's like you're moving around, changing workouts, etc. But with cardio, it's just this long boring stretch of one thing. So I'm looking for something, or many somethings that are just completely out of the ordinary. Any suggestions? In other words, no running, swimming, stairs, boxing.... I want something out there. Like pogo sticking on jello. :tongue: haha.

Any ideas? Any unusual, yet realistic ideas?

Replies

• bathedinshadow
    bathedinshadow Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Okay so I want to incorporate more cardio into my workout. The problem is - I get SO FREAKING BORED!!!!! See with strength training it's like you're moving around, changing workouts, etc. But with cardio, it's just this long boring stretch of one thing. So I'm looking for something, or many somethings that are just completely out of the ordinary. Any suggestions? In other words, no running, swimming, stairs, boxing.... I want something out there. Like pogo sticking on jello. :tongue: haha.

Any ideas? Any unusual, yet realistic ideas?
  • MissResa
    MissResa Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    My saving grace is volleyball!!! I don't know if you're really into sports, but I have a blast-and can burn over 1,200 calories in one night while playing. I know that no matter where we were stationed, there was always a league, a YMCA, or just a group of people who would play. You end up having so much fun you don't realize you're working out. And it's inexpensive...

I also do the P90X program, which has FUN cardio-especially Plyometrics, which is jump training... Talk about a workout that'll kick your butt.
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    At my gym, we have a "Fit Bag" class. It's essentially kickboxing--but none of this wussy shadow stuff. You wail on a bag for an hour, learning combos, kicks, jabs, all interspersed with some bootcamp work, like crunches and planks. It's an asskicker. But sooooo fun. I feel like I'm making my body more useful--it's awesome.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    I have a ton of exercise videos that keep me from getting bored. My faves are Turbo Jam, 30 Day Shred, Biggest Loser anything.
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    have you tried going to a spin class? I know you said "no biking", but I went to my first spin class yesterday and almost died... my pending demise held my attention and I was certainly far from bored.

Have you tried High Intensity Interval Training?

The other thing to remember is that exercise can be a mental workout too; that could be especially relevant for you with regards to cardio. Rather than focus on how boring the swimming or running is, maybe engage your thoughts into every step you are taking, every stroke through the water. Just a thought. :flowerforyou:
  • rachel41
    rachel41 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I get bored to,I still go on my treadmill though Ido short walks to add up to 40 mins.Also ,I just got a wii,It is great ,I have had it about 3 weeks.I am not bored of it either.I want to get a wii fit.They sat its a workout and lots of fun.:flowerforyou:
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Taebo amped different dvds, or if you go to the gym use the machines like the bike and the elliptical in one of the programs as well as the stair stepper- You caold also take a workout class- Try rollerskating as well thats alot of fun and a good workout- Play some sports a good game of one on one b-ball will get your heart rate up- Me and My husband play (I used to play in highschool) and I am very competetive and he doesn't take it easy on me just because Im a girl either he body checks me and everything but I like that he actually plays rather than taking it easy on me- We both hate losing so the game gets serious with alot of running and jumping.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    wall climbing
    hiking

many cities now have wall climbing places...awesome workout

look for trails to hike on,,,,nice workout and might see some nature
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Dance!:flowerforyou:
  • jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    have you tried Zumba???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf0q6qtThF4

i burn like 500-600 calories per class!!! and its so much fun!!!
  • bathedinshadow
    bathedinshadow Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'm really just looking for something crazy I think. haha. I haven't tried Zumba. I actually looked it up recently as something different. I do a lot of biking and hiking and that's about it right now. Not too big on going to the gym since I really can't stand the smell of BO (strong gag reflex) but I suck it up when the weather isn't permitting - which is often!

I'm really trying to mix it up to keep from getting bored. One night last week I hiked up one of the local ski hills with my board. It was a good workout but left my back pretty sore. I think I carried my board too low.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    At my gym, we have a "Fit Bag" class. It's essentially kickboxing--but none of this wussy shadow stuff. You wail on a bag for an hour, learning combos, kicks, jabs, all interspersed with some bootcamp work, like crunches and planks. It's an asskicker. But sooooo fun. I feel like I'm making my body more useful--it's awesome.

that's awesome, do you happen to have a good routine that you could give me. I knew there was a great cardio workout in heavybags, but I don't have any and I just bought my wife a heavybag for her birthday, and need some routines for it. I guess I could create some, but It would be far easier if I had one to go off of.
  • xbonbonx
    xbonbonx Posts: 170
    Options
    I really like the Biggest Loser Cardio Max DVD, but I guess it would probably be a lil boring too. there are different things done in it though, and it's intense... well maybe not if you're already fit lol... hope this helps :)