What to do with a sweet potato?

Options
lq022
lq022 Posts: 232 Member
I want to try baked sweet potatos, but I'm at a loss on how to "do 'em up" ... I know I can eat them plain & they are delish that way .... but can you jazz them up like a regular baked potato??? What do you guys put on them?

Replies

• hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Baked, add honey and cinnamon

Cut into disk (or fries), toss with cinnamon (or other spices) then bake (or fry)

I:heart: sweet potatoes
  • sashalarue
    sashalarue Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    LOL i brought a raw sweet potato to work with me today....and i have some honey and cinnamon at my desk and i'm going to pop that sucker in the microwave and have it with my salad. Never put honey on it tho...tks for the tip Hottie. I will be putting a tablespoon of honey on it! I :heart: them also!
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Julienne those suckers and spray them with cooking spray, then bake them. Sweet potato fries!
  • beduffbrickie
    beduffbrickie Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I always make sweet potato wedges. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • lq022
    lq022 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    mmmhmm with honey & cinnamon sounds soo good ... With regular baked potatos im a fan of loading them up with veggies & a slice of lowfat cheese ... but i think on a sweet potato that'd be gross lol

thanks for tips!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    What is it with the sweet honey and cinnamon, huh?

I like mine blasted in teh micro and then mashed with olive oil and black pepper.

Or into wedges and oven baked.

I would top a baked one with natural yoghurt and chives. O rsome canned shrimp/ prawns.
  • MarilynGrube
    MarilynGrube Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I either dice them or cut them into wedges, toss them in extra virgin olive oil or light butter and bake them. With sea salt and pepper,they are my FAVORITE food..So glad I can enjoy them still.
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    bake and sprinkle with pumpkin pie spice...delish!!!
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I don't like my sweet potatoes any sweeter than how they come :) So I tend to nuke them and add a little yogurt spread and kosher salt with either some garlic or Mrs. Dash
  • abbybean11
    abbybean11 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    after they come out of the oven (or microwave), I cut it open and put one Laughing Cow Cheese Wedge and a tablespoon or two of plain greek yogurt and mash it up a little - it is SOOOOOOO good! you have to try it! i have it like once a week.
  • Craig_hyde
    Craig_hyde Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Boil 'em, Mash 'em, Stick 'em in a stew

(that's it inner-geek, fly free.......)
  • FionaNiConnor
    FionaNiConnor Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I had a baked sweet potato last night, incidentally, and we had Land o'Lakes cinnamon butter to top. I had never had it that way before and it was *fantastic.*

I still prefer a little Smart Balance and kosher salt, but that LOL cinnamon butter was really, really tasty.

I've also had them grilled- cut into rounds, put foil or a grill topper down, a little butter, and grill those rounds until they're done.
  • jiggs31
    jiggs31 Posts: 117
    Options
    Baked sweet potato with low fat cream cheese and sweet chilli sauce - YUM!!!
  • ChangingJojo
    ChangingJojo Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I like to slice them, spray with a little olive oil cooking cpray and add cayenne pepper or creole seasoning, then broil them. A little sweet and spicey.
  • FionaNiConnor
    FionaNiConnor Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Boil 'em, Mash 'em, Stick 'em in a stew

(that's it inner-geek, fly free.......)

With a nice brace o' coneys?
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    sweet potato fries!!

Cut into fry shapes and put in a ziplock with some EVOO, salt, pepper, and rosemary. Bake until delish!

Be careful to make all fries the same shape or the small ones will burn
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I cube mine and put a bit of salt and cinnamon (and maybe a couple other spices) maybe a bit of honey and bake them just like that.
    I've also baked them with cubes of tofu and made a great meal out of that. Don't be afraid to be creative.
  • vzucco
    vzucco Posts: 229
    Options
    This isn't the healthiest thing in the world but if you've got some extra fat calories put a little butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon on a baked one. Top that with roasted pecans! And bake it in the oven, if you've got the time. There will be a noticeable difference in taste and texture.

Cut them into fries and add chili powder or cayenne pepper and salt. I also love cube them, bake, and sautee together with onion and peppers into a breakfast potato type thing.

Can you tell I love sweet potatoes?
  • kvreeken
    kvreeken Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I want to try baked sweet potatos, but I'm at a loss on how to "do 'em up" ... I know I can eat them plain & they are delish that way .... but can you jazz them up like a regular baked potato??? What do you guys put on them?

ENJOY!
    My all time favorite. Don't knock until you try.
    Raw or slightly steamed sweet potatoes cut into french fry strips then dipped in yellow mustard! Great appetizer!!

Halibut with Sweet Potato Fries and Lime
    Whole Living, January/February 2012
    Yield
    Serves 2
    Add to Shopping List
    Ingredients
    2 sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1-inch wedges
    2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
    2 (4-ounce) halibut fillets, skin removed
    1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley
    Lime wedges, for serving
    Directions
    Heat oven to 425 degrees.

On a rimmed baking sheet, toss sweet potatoes with 1 tablespoon oil. Season with salt and pepper. Roast, tossing occasionally, until golden and tender, 20 to 23 minutes. During the last 10 minutes of cooking, brush fish with remaining oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast on a second baking sheet until cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes.

Squeeze fish and roasted sweet potatoes with lime and sprinkle with parsley.

Baked Sweet Potatoes with Citrus

Detox Cred: Eating this winter superfood is one of the best ways to get more beta-carotene, an antioxidant the body converts to immunity-boosting vitamin A. The hearty but low-calorie root veggie is also great for weight loss. Bake several of these ahead and store in your fridge for up to 3 days.

Whole Living, January/February 2012
    http://www.marthastewart.com/151391/baked-sweet-potatoes-citrus
    Rated(6)6
    Yield
    Serves 2
    Ingredients

2 small sweet potatoes
    1/4 cup chopped toasted almonds or pecans
    Dash cinnamon
    Dash freshly grated nutmeg
    Flaky sea salt
    2 orange wedges
    Directions

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Prick sweet potatoes with a fork and wrap in foil.
    Bake until tender, about 1 hour. Unwrap and split top with a knife.
    Top with almonds, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Squeeze orange wedges over sweet potatoes and serve.
  • 6mimi
    6mimi Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    after they come out of the oven (or microwave), I cut it open and put one Laughing Cow Cheese Wedge and a tablespoon or two of plain greek yogurt and mash it up a little - it is SOOOOOOO good! you have to try it! i have it like once a week.

Yummy! I'm going to give this a try!