Yes, it's only been a week, but...

Options
2»

Replies

• Kelekat
    Kelekat Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    So my trainer seems to think that my weight gain is related to the fact that I work out in the evening and then go home and eat dinner, even though I have calories remaining. Because I'm not eating until about 7 and going to bed about 9, I'm going to bed on a full stomach.

So, on the trainer's advice, I'm off solid food for dinner and relegated to protein shakes within one hour of my workout.

Yum.....
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    So my trainer seems to think that my weight gain is related to the fact that I work out in the evening and then go home and eat dinner, even though I have calories remaining. Because I'm not eating until about 7 and going to bed about 9, I'm going to bed on a full stomach.

So, on the trainer's advice, I'm off solid food for dinner and relegated to protein shakes within one hour of my workout.

Yum.....

Get a trainer who knows what he's talking about. Stick to your deficit, eat back the calories you burn, and you WILL lose weight.

Honestly, they still let trainers spread ridiculous myths like that?
  • Kelekat
    Options
    Something isn't right.

I've been dieting for 9 days, working out for 7 and I've gained three pounds. I haven't lost enough fat to start making muscle, so honestly, I'm at a loss.

I stayed the same weight fairly consistently by just sitting on my fat butt on the couch eating Baskin Robbins for months. Now I'm moving and eating right and I'm gaining weight.

At this point, I'm willing to try his "20g protein shakes" for dinner. I'll just eat a bit more than I did today during the day to ensure I eat enough calories.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Im assuming since you have a trainer you are doing strength training. I'm also assuming that because you are paying someone to show you how to exercise that you weren't before. That being said when I started strength training I gained about 5lbs from water weight. I was sore and my muscles were retaining water. Also, let me ask you this.... What now?

Are you going to drink a shake instead of eating dinner for the rest of your life? Forever? Because when you start actually consuming real food and replace a 100-200 calorie shake with a 400-600 calorie dinner you will gain again.

If this is a lifestyle change and you plan on doing this indefinitely you need to realize you did not gain this weight over night and you will not lose overnight. This takes time, but if you change your activity level, your eating habits, and stick with it you WILL reach your goal. It may not be now, next month, or even a year from now. But if you eat a balanced diet, learn to change your habits, the only obstacle in your way is YOU.

I highly doubt something is wrong because you are gaining weight after starting a training regimen.

Also pro-tip I'm sure your trainer didn't tell you. Your weight is just a number and means absolutely NOTHING. You need to focus on body fat- period. Stressing about 3 pounds seems ridiculous because unless you have consumed 10500 calories over your TDEE in the past week it isn't body fat.
    Something isn't right.

I've been dieting for 9 days, working out for 7 and I've gained three pounds. I haven't lost enough fat to start making muscle, so honestly, I'm at a loss.

I stayed the same weight fairly consistently by just sitting on my fat butt on the couch eating Baskin Robbins for months. Now I'm moving and eating right and I'm gaining weight.

At this point, I'm willing to try his "20g protein shakes" for dinner. I'll just eat a bit more than I did today during the day to ensure I eat enough calories.
  • TashaLLN
    TashaLLN Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Both burning fat and building muscle are hydrolic processes, meaning that in order to do either, your body uses water. If you are not drinking enough water, your body cannot sufficiently build muscle or burn fat, which can leave you just damaging your body without showing any progress. I drink 4-6 bottles of water a day (meaning 8-12 glasses of water a day) because i run 10 miles a day and do strength training. Make sure you drink enough water, and give it time!
  • Kelekat
    Options
    I do thank everyone for their input. I think that I wasn't clear in my last posting about my evening meal replacements.

I had a discussion with my trainer last night about my weight gain over the last week and a half. She had me talk to one of the guys at the gym with an actual degree in nutrition. I have to work out after work, which has me eating dinner at about 7:00-7:30. I have to get up so early for work that I go to bed by 9:00. He was concerned that my food didn't have a chance to digest, so he suggested that I have the majority of my calories before I work out every day and substitute a protein based shake for my evening meal--and to have that within 45 - 60 minutes of my workout. I did so last night--I made a shake with 21g protein powder, 3/4 C 1% milk, 1/2 C water, a frozen banana, and frozen berries and cherries. A good 330 calories, so I'm not starving myself with a 200 calorie meal replacement.

I woke up this morning feeling better than I have for awhile, plus the scale moved and for the first time in a week and a half, it wasn't up!

I'm sure that I won't replace EVERY evening meal with a protein shake. On my cardio days, especially as the days get longer, I have the opportunity to exercise AFTER I eat my last meal of the day. On strength training days though, I have to go from work to the gym--which makes dinner awfully late.

I believe I'm hydrating well--I drink 8-10 cups of water a day...most often more. My "work" water cup is the size of a large fast food soft drink cup and I fill it up several times a day. Plus I finish off a 23.7 oz. bottle during my workouts and cardio exercise.

There is so much good information on MFP and I really appreciate the amount of accumulated knowledge there is in these forums.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Lol read this! Youll eat every meal at night.
    BTW you are still under eating and wont lose much weight that way..

Great article by Martin Berkhan about night eating and the metabolic effects in humans.
    Enjoy!

http://www.leangains.com/search/label/Fat Loss

When you plateau send me a PM and i'll run dietary numbers that will make the fat fall right off of you!
    =D