Most nutritious shake?

Hey all,

I'm not looking for a quick fix to weight loss- I am honestly looking for a shake to help me with nutrition. I know I don't eat as healthy as possible but most of my major screw ups are at work. The only places near my job are McDonalds, KFC, WaWa and there is a subway but it's always too packed to get in and out in a half hour, let alone have time to actually eat. I don't like to bring food because we don't always eat at the same time and eating in the office on a day like that most likely means being called away from said meal 4-5 times. Anyway, tasty nutritious shakes?

Replies

• LaComadreja14
    LaComadreja14 Posts: 277 Member
    Please?? I'm not doing this as a quick fix- I just want something quick and nutritious
  • I have done the Slim Fast shakes before (you need the Slim Fast brand though, the generic kinds don't work). But those work pretty well, keep you satisfied until later afternoon. I have the same problem at work, so I always go for a walk to get out of the office on my lunch. Hope that helps!
  • LaComadreja14
    LaComadreja14 Posts: 277 Member
    Thank you :)
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    It seems to me that shakes fall into two categories, supplemental and meal replacement.

Supplemental tend to be higher protein and lower fat/carb, the meal replacement take a more balanced approach with other macronutrients. If you eat a bunch of crap you're probably already getting plenty of carbs and fat, so I'd say look for the higher protein/lower calorie options described as whey drink mixes or whey protein shakes. Most will get you 20 plus grams of protein in about 130 calories. When needed, I convert this into more of a meal replacement by mixing it with milk (with some fat in it) instead of water. It adds another 110-150 calories to it.

Brands- they abound. Gold standard whey is quite popular and is sold at amazon. Even walmart sells several brands. You just need to try a few flavors before you buy a lot. Some taste like crap.
  • fitforlife34
    fitforlife34 Posts: 331 Member
    I usually make shakes quite often, I call them protein smoothies. It really does fill you up as well, if you make one with about 220 calories. I will toss frozen strawberries, peaches, mangoes, blueberries, or something like that, a banana, and a scoop of protein powder (or greek yogurt) in a blender. I also add splenda or vanilla to make it sweeter.

Thing is, luckily frozen fruit is cheaper than fresh, and you can find protein powder at any GNC store, or even Wallmart. Mine was about $30 from Emerald smoothies. It's yummy. ...hope this helps.
  • paisley2288
    paisley2288 Posts: 913 Member
    I use Shakeology. Do some research on them. They are very costly but they give you energy, make you "regular", and help you lose weight. I love them.
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    I like blending a scoop of protein powder with almond/peanut butter and almond milk. Sometimes I add a banana. As for pre-mixed shakes... I occasionally go for the Myoplex Carb Control if I don't have time to make my own
  • I use Body by Vi, it works out to be around $2.00 a shake, they are the best tasting that I ever had, and I get all the energy I need from them.:smile: