Night shifters

Options
Just a general question to the experts and others who don't do the 9-5/M-F life. I'm a RN, work 1930-0800 shifts (7:30pm-8am) 3 or 4 days a week (if I remember NOT to answer my phone for the typical begging please come in we're short). I do try to keep to a routine even when off, doesn't always work. Right now, I count my calories over 3 meals..."breakfast, lunch, dinner" whether my dinner is at 5pm, 8pm or 2am the next day.

So many routines, tips, plans focus on the typical cycle that most sane people follow. How does working and being awake, having an alternate circadian cycle and all that play into wt loss, nutrition, etc.

I'm doing pretty good, have lost over 40lbs since November and will bust my 300 lb burden for the first time in like 16+ years in the next few weeks. I also want to try to be better educated and make sure I am doing all I can to have a healthier lifestyle.

Kasey

Replies

• hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I work 9pm-7am on Mon, Sat and Sunday. What I do is just follow the normal clock. Like today, I will be up all day because I have a 2 year old at home so I will eat my normal meals and take a snack to work to eat around 11pm. Sometimes I will take a piece of fruit to eat in the early am if I am hungry. I immediately come home a eat something, sometimes breakfast, sometimes a sandwhich.

I know this wouldn't work for many people but it works for me! As long as I stay within my calorie goal in a 24 hour period I figure I'm okay!