At what time do you eat your last meal?

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,688 Member
    Options
    I eat dinner between 5 & 6 depending on the day, and I don't eat after 7pm. Although I agree with Motocity and ACG, you wanna be careful not to eat close to bed time cause it stores the food as fat as opposed to working it off with more activity.
    This isn't true. Any surplus, whether eaten during the day or evening gets stored. If you're in calorie deficit, then this isn't true. This is a myth.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    I try to eat by 7PM. If I eat too late my dreams would give any Stephen King book a run for its money!

JM
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    In Europe they eat the same number of cals as Americans per day (particularly in the UK). Oddly enough we have twice the amt of obesity

No you don't have twice the amount of obesity, you have 4% more.

Ref: http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/hea_obe-health-obesity
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Dinner is usually around 9:00 p.m. because I workout after work and it is usually 7 - 7:30 before I'm done. Then I like to rest a little before I start cooking. After dinner I like to have a handful of cocoa roasted almonds for dessert, and we generally turn in around 10:30 - 11:00 p.m., so I don't usually stop eating until shortly before I go to bed.
  • desirae500
    desirae500 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I usually exercise from 530-630 pm so I eat a small meal around 715. I might have another snack around 830 or 900 if I'm hungry.
  • AskBeans
    Options
    7pm ! i so agree with you JM i used to think that was a myth then all types of crazy creatures would be in my dreams and I end up waking up at 4 in the morning not cool ! but yea 7 is great that way your body has lots of type to digest and no scary dreams lol
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,688 Member
    Options
    True. In Europe they eat the same number of cals as Americans per day (particularly in the UK). Oddly enough we have twice the amt of obesity and this is because we eat a lot of processed food and things that come in bags and boxes. They also eat later than us in Europe. Think on this for a minute: same calories per day and less obese? Why is that?
    Let's not assume things here. If ANYONE eats in surplus (more than they burn) they will gain weight regardless if the food is fresh, natural, processed, etc.
    I KNOW for a fact that many Europeans eat less calories (they have small plates there) and EXERCISE (walking being the main exercise) more than the average American.
    You can't get obese without excessive calories even if the food was processed.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Queenb62303
    Options
    i try not to eat after 7 pm - i get off work and home by 5pm..get a quick workout in, cook dinner for the family.. another workout..THEN BED!! lol
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Depends on when I go to bed. I like to have something small, usually some cookies with milk, before I go to bed. Helps me sleep. :)
  • Goldenbast
    Goldenbast Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I used to believe that you shouldn't eat close to bed...but flip-flopping as I do between being on a day schedule or a night schedule, i sort of just eat when I am hungry until I have used up my calories and I simply track by wake/sleep patterns; that is I log as long as I am awake and close it out before I go to bed, weather or not it's after midnight....makes my journal look a little strange sometimes.

I do notice that I do not like to sleep on a fully empty stomach, if I am even a little hungry, I will get a heartburn-like pain that goes away immediately if I eat even just a little bit.
  • linnzers82
    Options
    I am staying within my calories and losing nothing! boo.
  • PeaceLoveVeggies
    PeaceLoveVeggies Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Between 7 and 8pm.
  • alli4350
    Options
    I eat dinner fairly late because I work late. I usually eat around 8pm, but I also stay up until 11 usually.
  • corine103
    corine103 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    you wanna be careful not to eat close to bed time cause it stores the food as fat as opposed to working it off with more activity.

I don't think it does. I've never seen a scientific study that backs that claim up.

True. In Europe they eat the same number of cals as Americans per day (particularly in the UK). Oddly enough we have twice the amt of obesity and this is because we eat a lot of processed food and things that come in bags and boxes. They also eat later than us in Europe. Think on this for a minute: same calories per day and less obese? Why is that?

I lived in America for 6 months and ate the same as i do in England and put on lots of weight... Processed fooods!!
  • ms1978
    ms1978 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    We eat dinner between 5-6pm. It's the last time I eat for the day and not for any other reason than I'm just not hungry. I don't suffer from night time munchies like my husband...he always has a bowl of cereal before bed ;)
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I lived in America for 6 months and ate the same as i do in England and put on lots of weight... Processed fooods!!

If you ate the same then that would show that your weight gain was not due to any type of food.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Usually have dinner around 530-630ish, and maybe a light snack or a bit of dessert after. I'm probably food-free after 8 unless I'm up super late and get hungry again.

I don't lock myself down to a time where I won't eat. If I'm hungry, I will - I just make sure I've left good choices in the fridge/pantry so I don't throw myself into a box of cookies or crackers at 10pm at night.
  • corine103
    corine103 Posts: 14 Member
    Options

If you ate the same then that would show that your weight gain was not due to any type of food.

Well yes because nothings fresh, for example.. We have fresh Orange Juice.. In America theOJ is full of sugar.
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    It can vary for me. I eat when I'm hungry and if I'm not I still try to have something small every few hours.

Dinner at my house varies based on our shifts at work. Sometimes it's at 3pm, sometimes it's at 6, sometimes it goes to as late as 11:30. As long as I have the calories left I'll eat. I have eaten a full meal right before bed.

It's a myth that if you eat close to bedtime that it gets stored as fat.
  • tnkrueger
    Options
    I was just at a nutrition seminar saturday, and my personal trainer told us that it really doesnt matter when you have your last meal. What does matter however, is what you choose to eat. Typically as the day moves on, you are supposed to decrease the amount of carbohydrates you eat, as you will not need the energy from carbs through the night. You should be eating healthy fats and lean proteins at night. And you can eat them as late as you like!!!