water weight on "the pill"

Options
2»

Replies

• marbit
    marbit Posts: 108
    Options
    My doctor switched my pill last year. With insurance, that pill was not being made as much and it was extremely expensive to pay monthly. I was on that pill for 10 years without any issues at all. I switched to a new on and have gained 15 lbs that I can't seem to get off. I can exercise, track everything I eat and still nothing. Never gave it a second thought about gaining weight on the pill, never had issues in all the years I have been taking them. It was suggestioned to try the ring, but a little nervous about that.

I was super nervous about it at first too, mostly because I have serious psychological issues regarding using my fingers to insert something. I was also worried about losing it since it had no string or anything. The first few months I used it I kept checking to see if it was still there (which obviously triggered my aforementioned psychological issues). I was surprised as anyone when it didnt fall out, and I had no side effects. Additionally, eventually I was able to overcome my psychological block and also my fear of tampons. So really, it was a win win for me!
  • Mandykinz2008
    Mandykinz2008 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    It could easily be a result of the pill. Your body will adjust over a couple months. IF it doesn't go back to your doctor and try a different pill. It took me 5-6 different pills to find the one that works best for me, and I've had no problems since, but I've been on some that bloat me up and make me feel miserable!!
  • RunChinni
    RunChinni Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I was on Ortho, a generic version of it actually for about 2 years. And I gained 5 lbs at the drop of a hat. But my body got used to it and I dropped the weight when I started working out again after a year's gap. However, it did take longer than usual to drop the weight. I switched pills a couple of times after that because the bloating began again.

Now I am off the pill because I just couldn't handle the bloating after a while. I still haven't found a BC that suits my body (back to the condom!)

I am contemplating the NuvaRing as well. But I don't really know anyone who can give me a pros v/s cons of the same.
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I've been on the pill since I was 16 as a way to treat my abnormally heavy periods. I switched to Tri Sprintec (generic of orthotricyclin I think) earlier last year. It took me a few months to get used to it, but now that I have I don't have a lot of issues with bloating except around TOM. When TOM is approaching I gain a couple pounds of water weight, and then it drops off once TOM arrives. Once I start the new pill cycle I might gain a pound, and then steady out for the rest of the month.

It's a bit of a pain, but my husband and I don't want kids just yet and I don't want to deal with my crazy periods, so I'll take the 1-2 pound swings versus the alternative.

BTW, I'm losing weight at a very consistent rate despite being on the pill, so it is possible.