Can someone look at my food diary and tell me what I need to

Options
Okay I am a pear shaped woman 6'0 tall and 185 pounds with all of my problem areas of course in my thighs. I am doing spinning class at least twice a week and try to incorporate zumba, turbokick, and elliptical at least five times a week from 30-60 min a day. Two years ago I lost 20 lbs on a vegetarian diet but I was not working out as much and felt a little tired for the first two weeks. My waistline is good but could stand a little more tightening up and I have excess fat on my arms from pregnancy. Please help...

Replies

• stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Up your protein! I looked through your diary, and some days it's super, super low.
  • runwithmike
    Options
    Agree with sisforvenus.
  • pmich08
    pmich08 Posts: 193
    Options
    I would cut carbs a bit and up protein by like x3-4. As a general rule I like to get 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight.

Also your sodium is really high. That can make you retain water and make it look like you weigh more. I would try cutting all the processed stuff from your diet.

And at breakfast, maybe cut back to one piece of fruit and have some eggs or greek yogurt to get that protein in!
  • alexa_image
    alexa_image Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Totally agree,
    You should increase your protein intake, specially in the morning so you feel energized all day long.
  • MommyofLily
    MommyofLily Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Up your protein! I looked through your diary, and some days it's super, super low.

Ditto!! Add protein to your breakfast especially. I'm not always good about this, but I lose weight easier when I eat a good breakfast consistently that contains a fair amount of protein. Also, make sure you're drinking plenty of water.
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Much more protein and more fat, remember that fats don't make you fat, excess calories make you fat. Dietary fats are extremely important to your health. Aim for 1 gram of protein and .35 grams of fat per lb of lean body weight as a minimum and fill in the rest as you please.
  • marbit
    marbit Posts: 108
    Options
    It looks like you were doing really well with sodium till about a week ago. I would cut down a lot on sodium. And what everyone else said about protein.
  • kris_patch
    Options
    UP PROTIEN !!
  • mrau719
    mrau719 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Up the protein!! Aim for a g per LB of body weight. Cut back on sodium and if you're wanting to tone up make sure you're doing some weight training. Good luck!
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Me too. Your protein is too low for your weight , and your carbs too high, and the last three days (didn't check much before that), you were eating restaurant food, mostly.

Go for lean meats and fresh vegetables and fruits and you will see better results. You can do it!

Good luck.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Sure, you could be more consistent with protein, but for the most part, your eating is stellar.
    Don't anybody go peaking at my diary.....
    I've been bad.....:blushing:
  • foster59803
    foster59803 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I also agree that you should increase your protein, some days you are as low as 14g. I typically try for 1g of protein for every lb of lean muscle mass you have or more. You seem to be hitting your daily calorie goals, but some of the food choices could cause you to retain water etc. Seems like there is quite a bit of potato chips, hash browns and french fries. :) If you can try to use those calories to eat more whole food, like a sweet potato or yam... increase your green veggies... lean protein, chicken, fish, lean beef. Sometimes it just takes a little trial and error to see what works for you. Some people can continue to loose as long as they are hitting their calories for the day, but others need to make more nutritional adjustments. Also drink a lot of water. Good luck to you!
  • Slugsasarus
    Slugsasarus Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Try filling out your diary before you start your day. Balance it so that you're getting high protein intake and lower carbs. Some days I feel like balancing my food diary is like balancing my check book, but hey, it really does work I promise!!!

It seems like you like pizza (so do I!) so maybe you could make home made pizza on a wheat tortilla? That'll cut out some unneeded processed calories.
  • kerricolby
    kerricolby Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I only looked at a few of your days and I agree with everyone about the protein. Also you're only drinking one glass of water a day and I no vegetables. Up your water and get a few veggie servings a day!!
  • Front_Runner
    Options
    I would cut carbs a bit and up protein by like x3-4. As a general rule I like to get 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight.

Also your sodium is really high. That can make you retain water and make it look like you weigh more. I would try cutting all the processed stuff from your diet.

And at breakfast, maybe cut back to one piece of fruit and have some eggs or greek yogurt to get that protein in!

Agree! Check out the recipe forums for some simple things you can make from fresh foods. I really think by cutting back on the premade stuff (i.e. frozen foods, prepackaged foods, and meals out) you will be able to greatly reduce your sodium, cut back a bit on the carbs, and increase your protein. Don't get too hung up on crunching the numbers - just try to plan ahead and prepare some simple meals. I love using chicken - as it's pretty inexpensive & cooks up quick (especially anything boneless/skinless).

Good luck! You can do this!
  • computerchick
    computerchick Posts: 2,655 Member
    Options
    I have to agree, you're not eating enough protein. And today your breakfast was all fruit. Egg Beaters, turkey bacon, ham, or even regular eggs are all good proteins for breakfast.
  • flibberdajibbitt
    flibberdajibbitt Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Protein!
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    more healthy fats. your overall intake is okay but the sources are less than ideal.

begin your day with a couple eggs, 1 slice whole grain toast topped w/ tbsp pb, and some coffee w/ skim milk

cut back on the refined carbs (granola thins can be replaced with whole grain cereal and a tbsp dark chocolate chips)
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    i would scaled back a wee bit on the carbs and up the protein . especially at breakfast. watch the sodium too . im always ocd with sodium because i have high blood pressure but it really isnt good for you. try to cook more of boneless skinless chicken breast and turkey breast as opposed to processed food .

exercises for your thighs and butt -- lunges and squats .. two of my very least favorite exercises but they do work
  • GeoJenna223
    GeoJenna223 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Protein!

If you are leery about adding more meat to your diet, try a tasteless protein powder to any of your normal drinks...if you are really into planning, you could do it right after a work out. Also, you definitely need more protein for breakfast, it will keep you fuller between breakfast and lunch.

I've had my breakfasts and snacks planned by a nutritionist, here are some of her suggestions:

"Lox and Bagel"

2 Slices 50 cal each nature's own whole wheat bread
    2 tbsp whipped cream cheese
    2-3 oz smoked salmon

295cal, 25g carb, 27g protein

"Quick Egg McMuffin"

Whole wheat english muffin (or nature's own bread-2slice)
    2 egg whites, 1 whole egg - scrambled with slight amount of olive oil spray
    1 oz cheese (should be low fat if using an egg yolk, sub full fat if egg white only)
    2-3oz sliced deli meat (I like turkey pastrami)

371 cals, 30 g protein, 25g carbs

"Quick Breakfast - on the go"

1 EAS Carb Control Advantage Chocolate protein shake
    Whole Wheat Toast with 1/2 tbsp butter or 1 tbsp whipped cream cheese

Protein shake only nutridata: 110cal, 17g protein, 4g carbs

You also may consider upping your calorie consumption from 1200 to the 1400-1600 range.

If that doesn't work, try limiting your carb intake to 140g, and try not to have starches for dinner (keep your last meal and snack of the day to 15g of carbs each - no rice, potatoes, pasta, etc). If you are going to be drinking alcohol that night, keep your starches to only breakfast and limit lunch, afternoon snack and dinner to 15-20g carbos each with no starches.

Good Luck!