Original ideas for exercise!!

Options
Hey guys, I've just discovered the web based version of MFP and thought I'd mosey on into the forums and see if I can get some opinions! I have decided that I need to lose 24Ibs and I'd like to do that at approx 2Ibs/week. So far I've lost 4Ibs by just changing my diet over the past 2.5 weeks. I assume I'm not going to continue losing weight merely by a change of diet and my lifestyle is fairly sedentary, I used to be a primary teacher (all over the place all the time!!) now I just work in an office. Now, here is the tricky bit....I hate gyms and I just seem to waste money buying those passes - anyone have any ideas for some fun/original and cheap exercise?

Hope you're all having a happy Tuesday :-D

Replies

• jinglebells
    Options
    Hey, i also am not a big fan of the gym and work in an office. I usually find myself just waiting for the next meal most of the time when i am at work and snacking mindlessly. What i have found does help instead of the gym is walking. I started a new job about 8 months ago and in the last 5 months i have been spending my hour lunch break walking with a couple of the girls from work. We go about 3 times aweek and i have managed to lose a stone by doing this. I am lucky that i work near the south downs in surrey (UK) so we have a proper hike/walk at lunch. You can get a little hot and sweaty by the time you reach the top but it is seriously worth it when i got to buy a smaller dress size.
    Another good exercise is running. i run just twice a week for 15 minutes with my mum on top of walking for an hour 3 times a week and it has really helped.
  • Aaloo79
    Aaloo79 Posts: 105
    Options
    Hiya,
    I would say, do things in a phased manner. I have been through the same phase.
    I lost some just by monitoring my diet (and its going to be a life long thing now, else I would be back to where I started).
    1. Next thing for me was walks. I started doing about 3 miles/day (once and then twice) but that was autumn. This time of the year in windy city like Brighton, its upto you if you are brave enough for the elements. But still give it a try. Just try to find reasons to walk if you cant go out just for walks.
    2. At some point you will get used to walking (and build upon some endurance, then try running.
    3. Slowly, introduce some weights training during your regime. You can buy some weights for reasonable money from sprotsdirect or lot of other places.
    4. Last but not the least, you can also try things like jillian michaels 30 days shred dvd workout. Cost around £ 5-6 and doable indoors.

In nutshell, all that I'm trying to say it do things one by one, increasing your pace/intensity. That will keep you motivated as well. Instead of trying to run 5miles on day 1 and lifting 40kg weights..

All the best.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Ah brilliant guys, thanks for the advice!! Yeah I work near the seaside at Worthing, so that would make some nice afternoon walks. That's a great tip about phasing running in, I really don't think i'd have the endurance to run anywhere at the moment!
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Options
    And definitely very lucky Jingle, that's a lovely part of the country :) Must also be awesome to have a lot of support where you work! I've been doing this mostly by myself, which can be a bit lonely, so thank you guys for your ideas/tips and encouragement :)
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Options

4. Last but not the least, you can also try things like jillian michaels 30 days shred dvd workout. Cost around £ 5-6 and doable indoors.

Hadn't considered DVDs either, that's also a good idea. What kind of workouts does this DVD encourage? The closest I've had to a workout DVD is the yoga section on the Wii fit! (which is fun ;) )
  • Aaloo79
    Aaloo79 Posts: 105
    Options

Hadn't considered DVDs either, that's also a good idea. What kind of workouts does this DVD encourage? The closest I've had to a workout DVD is the yoga section on the Wii fit! (which is fun ;) )

Lol. There are a number of DVDs in the market but I would personally suggest this one to begin with. Its mix of cardio/strength/abs exercise.

What happens personally with me e.g is if I buy 10 books in 1 go, i end up reading none of these :grumble: Thats why i buy one at a time so that I can read them all :bigsmile: . I hope you understand what I mean... Same goes for exercises DVDs for me too. Just start with one :happy:

All the best.
  • Slimmasaurus
    Slimmasaurus Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Ah brilliant guys, thanks for the advice!! Yeah I work near the seaside at Worthing, so that would make some nice afternoon walks. That's a great tip about phasing running in, I really don't think i'd have the endurance to run anywhere at the moment!

If you're brave enough, take a dip in the sea! I live in Cornwall and although it's FREEZING, a swim in the ocean is a great calorie burner. Maybe one to save for the summer months though...
    Or you could always swim in a pool. It's normally a lot cheaper than paying for the gym.

I agree with 30 Day Shred, it's great for working out at home! Also online fitness videos. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Pop Pilates: http://blogilates.com/beginners. I started with the Beginners total body work out and it really eased me in.
    She has a workout for every part of your body, and you're sure to ache the next day! :)
  • BenderFitness
    Options
    Check out my blog: www.fitnessbender.com it's tons of different home workouts, totally free, for all levels. :) It can give you some ideas for different exercise moves you can do at home.

Other fun things you can do are jump roping, hula hooping, and jumping on a mini trampoline (but the first two are cheaper!) :)
  • mcriley9906
    Options
    hi,
    I hate gym's feel so funny at them.. and I have two kids a husband that works 2nd shift.. no time for a gym I would have to pay a baby sitter and don't have the extra money. So i do things at home.. i have to push sometimes to do it but so far i've done great.. One of my favorite things now is ZUMBA for christmas my dad got me the dvd's.. it is so great.. my kids love it.. they are 4 and 2 and are dancing right along with me...we laugh and make up songs.. so much fun that i forget i'm working out. I'm hoping to take a class or two around here in the near future, but for now the dvd's work great.. another thing is if you have the wii.. wii fit is great.. my dad who just retired wants to stay in shape since he does not go to work anymore and does not do much he does the wii fit everyday and loves it...I love to go over to the park by my house and walk...but i don't like the cold and well in winter time around here it's cold.. so i just do things inside. And it makes me love spring when it finally comes..

Check out zumba's website.. you can even find out if there are classes near you
    www.zumbafitness.com
  • sweetyedie
    sweetyedie Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Dance, Dance, Dance!!!! Put on some of your favorite tunes and dance. Here in the states we have some places that have anything from square dancing, to a place you can polka,Line dancing or of course if you're of the younger set night clubs. I don't do it as often as I like but it is a fun way to get excercise and a fun work out.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Options
    Haha, that is awesome guys xD thanks for all of the ideas ... although Slimmasaurus I may indeed wait for summer to go dipping in the sea ;) Although I can imagine it'd be a real calorie burner!! Ah, the pilates sounds really good - I have quite an interest in yoga, and they're fairly similar?

I know exactly what you mean Aaoloo - I'm just as bad, get loads of supplies and never actually manage to use them, but the Shred fitness vid looks quite good thanks :-D

Ah excellent Fitness, I will definitely check your blog out - thank you for making resources available!!

Yeah the Wii is great Mcriley, they've really put some thought into what will motivate people to carry on with it, very subtle!! And Zumba? hmmm, I've heard people talking about that, I'll check that out now!

Lol Sweety, I love dancing xD been trying to persuade my hubby to come learn ballroom dancing with me, so far not much success - any tips on encouraging stubborn men? ;)

Thanks again for the awesome ideas guys! You're starting to make me think it might be possible!! xD
  • annemama
    annemama Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Loads of ways to burn calories without going to a gym. At work, use the restroom on the next floor up or down so you cover a flight of stairs each time. Use a water cooler at the opposite end instead of the one close to you. Like someone else said, walk at lunchtime, maybe someone will join you! When you are out shopping and running errands, park in the furthest spot and burn some extra calories just getting there. At home, buy a step (like you would use for step aerobics) and step up and down while watching tv... or use a rebounder (mini trampoline) and watch tv. I love DVDs... most people really enjoy Tae Bo.. its kickboxing, but don't let the name scare you, its fun! I also have Insanity... but it is definitely NOT for easing yourself into exercise! And for the Wii... my absolute favorite is Just Dance.... you said you like to dance, so you should really enjoy it. Everyone I know has fallen in love with this "game"... and I think its fun that they have made a game out of exercise. You just follow the person on the screen throughout the dances and you can even compete with another person if you have an extra controller! Enjoy the journey!

Beth