Kale anyone?

Options
So i've been seeing a lot of people making friends with kale lately. What are some tastey and EASY ideas for cooking kale? Do you use fresh or frozen?

Replies

• kendib
    kendib Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Kale chips are my new favorite! So easy to make..spritz with olive oil and bake...so good!
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I. LOVE. KALE!

It's amazing. I like to sautee it with a bit of olive oil and copious amounts of garlic and just serve it as a side. It also goes great tossed in pastas or throw a handful into soup. It's basically a good spinach alternative, is a super food and is just totally delicious! Some people make kale "chips" out of it, but I've never tried that.
  • vsyates
    vsyates Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I've cut up some fresh kale and added to my salad
  • MsMargie1116
    MsMargie1116 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    :love: OMGoodness!!! I LOVE Kale!!! I saute it in a couple of teaspoons of Olive Oil, then use the Olive oil spray if I need more. I'll add mushrooms & onions and saute until the onions are carmelized and add some fat free feta to top it off. SOOOO good!!! Oh, and I use fresh... :-) :love:
  • shellyt1
    shellyt1 Posts: 119
    Options
    Fresh if can be and roasting to make kale chips! Sauteeing with galic and olive oil and in soup!
  • ellie0213
    ellie0213 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Great in soups: I add it the last few minutes so it doesn't get over cooked. Also, Kale Chips, tear into bite size pieces, sprinkle with olive oil and a little sea salt or seasoning and bake at 350F until crispy--like potato chips or crackers. Good sprinkled on soup like this too.
  • CNG223
    CNG223 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I like to buy it fresh at the farmers market, I typically put it in soups. Last week I made a veggie soup, cooking the kale in msg free veggie broth and added diced tomatoes, mushrooms, green onions, great northern beans, red potatoes and a few seasonings. A lot of time I will forgo the potatoes and just add shredded chicken breast.

I really love Kale, I think it works excellent in just a broth with green onions and tofu. :)
  • MsMargie1116
    Options
    Kale chips are my new favorite! So easy to make..spritz with olive oil and bake...so good!

I really need to try kale chips one of these days. I've seen them on "Hungry Girl" but have yet to try them.
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I. LOVE. KALE!

It's amazing. I like to sautee it with a bit of olive oil and copious amounts of garlic and just serve it as a side.

Pretty much my fav way of cooking it - I can't do too much garlic though, it has a habit of sticking with me for a while :blushing:
  • wreath7
    wreath7 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    definitely fresh. it lasts a long time when refrigerated too.
  • greengirl1978
    greengirl1978 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I always buy fresh kale (lacinato, traditional, red-- they are all good) and my favorite way to eat it is in fresh fruit/veg smoothies. It may sound weird, but if you start off just putting a few greens in your smoothies and then slowly increase the green content over time you may find that green smoothies are just the ticket for getting those greens in your daily diet. It is important to rotate your greens, so I use a different combination of greens in my smoothies and salads each day. I hope this helps! Kale is great. :)
  • MsMargie1116
    Options
    I like to buy it fresh at the farmers market, I typically put it in soups. Last week I made a veggie soup, cooking the kale in msg free veggie broth and added diced tomatoes, mushrooms, green onions, great northern beans, red potatoes and a few seasonings. A lot of time I will forgo the potatoes and just add shredded chicken breast.

I really love Kale, I think it works excellent in just a broth with green onions and tofu. :)

Ooo this sounds awesome... May have to try this one!!! :-)
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I do both fresh and frozen. I love it in soup the best!
  • kar74
    kar74 Posts: 49
    Options
    I also LOVE kale! I've tried making the chips before but burned them and have yet to try again. When I'm pressed for time, I'll sautéed some kale in a little veggie broth, strain, and toss it in with my WW Smart Ones pasta meal. My only catch is that i have to sautée or juice my kale. I can't eat it raw. Too bitter for me.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I'm adding kale to my shopping list!
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options

I second this!
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I love this Provencal Greens Soup from the New York Times. If you have a leek, an egg, a bunch a kale, and two cloves of garlic you can have a delicious soup in less than 30 minutes:

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
    1 leek, cut in half length-wise, sliced, rinsed of dirt and drained on paper towels
    2 garlic cloves, sliced
    3 cups chopped greens (leaves only)
    3 cups water
    Salt, preferably kosher salt, to taste
    Freshly ground pepper to taste
    1 large egg
    Grated Parmesan for serving (optional)

1. Heat one tablespoon of the olive oil in a large, heavy soup pot over medium heat, and add the leek. Cook, stirring, until tender, three to five minutes. Add the garlic and 1/4 teaspoon salt, and cook, stirring, until the garlic is fragrant, about one minute. Add the greens, and stir until they begin to wilt. Add the water and salt to taste, and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, for 15 to 20 minutes, until the greens are very tender and the broth sweet. Add pepper, and taste and adjust seasoning.

2. Beat the egg in a bowl. Making sure that the soup is not boiling, whisk a ladle of it into the beaten egg. Take the soup off the heat, and stir in the tempered egg. Ladle the soup into bowls, sprinkle on some Parmesan if desired and serve.

Yield: Serves two
    Advance preparation: You can make the soup through step 1 several hours before serving.
  • Shayyy01
    Shayyy01 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I. LOVE. KALE!

It's amazing. I like to sautee it with a bit of olive oil and copious amounts of garlic and just serve it as a side. It also goes great tossed in pastas or throw a handful into soup. It's basically a good spinach alternative, is a super food and is just totally delicious! Some people make kale "chips" out of it, but I've never tried that.

^^^ this!!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options

I really need to try kale chips one of these days. I've seen them on "Hungry Girl" but have yet to try them.

I did this last year, they were excellent! Apparently Kale is a good "lettuce" to add to smoothies as it has even less taste than spinach.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Last night I sauted 12 oz of crimini mushrooms with 1/2 med yellow onion in a couple tbls of olive oil, then added a big bunch of fresh kale (about 6-7 cups) and some leftover red quinoa (just over 1 cup) and heated it just until the kale started to wilt.

I did this because the kale was several days old and needed to be eaten, I had a plethera of mushrooms because they were on sale, and I needed to use up the leftover quinoa.

My husband raved about how good it was all evening, so I guess I now have a new kale recipe.