For the 'veteren' MFPers... your tips?

Options
I've been here a while, but I haven't had much success. I'm not going to make any excuses... it's totally my fault. Between lack of willpower and lack of drive I haven't stuck with it. But I'm determined that this time will be different. :smile:

To those of you that have been here a while and HAVE succeeded... if you could offer 5 of your best fitness/nutrition tips, what would they be??

Thanks!

Replies

• flcaoh
    flcaoh Posts: 444
    Options
    I've been here a while, but I haven't had much success. I'm not going to make any excuses... it's totally my fault. Between lack of willpower and lack of drive I haven't stuck with it. But I'm determined that this time will be different. :smile:

To those of you that have been here a while and HAVE succeeded... if you could offer 5 of your best fitness/nutrition tips, what would they be??

Thanks!
  • marisa0918
    marisa0918 Posts: 178
    Options
    I've lost about 45 pounds since May 08 and kept it off

1. Drink LOTS of water
    2. Log EVERYTHING you put in your mouth
    3. Eat more then 1200 calories
    4. Don't weigh yourelf all the time and don't forget to take measurements
    5. Don't deprive yourself....with that being said I don't mean go to McDonalds and eat a supersized meal or eat a large candy bar :noway:

I watch what I eat, but I don't get so caught up in it that my life revolves around food and what I am eating...I mean thats why i got here in the first place. I don't want food to control my life whether it is healthy food or junk food. I have been here logging enough that I know what I should and shouldn't be eating.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    1. read the food's label of ingredients- if it has one or more of something that you have no idea what is or does, learn about it before putting it in your body

2. get more than one opinion on anything- just because it is on the internet does not mean it is for you

3. keep your metabolism at an even keel 24/7 eat your allotted calores spread out as evenly as you can

4. think of food as fuel only....it is not intended to comfort you or make you happy...it can do those things sure, but it is not its purpose.....find other things to comfort you and make you happy

5. break a sweat with some exercise of your choice every day

one of the most important tips for anything is a sense of humor with persepective ....
    you need some patience with this change of lifestyle and getting the results from this change...it will happen but not overnight,,,,laugh at yourself ....life is too short to be serious all the time
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    1. Take baby steps. Make small changes slowly to ease into the new lifestyle. Jumping in head first can lead to being burned out and giving up. But every change you make is leading you to a new way of living and if you do it without stressing, it will almost seem effortless.

2. Don't be afraid of food. It is your friend, though NOT something to comfort you when depressed or lonely. It can fuel you and provide you with energy and nutrients. Even fats are our friend if you eat the healthy stuff. Get out of that "fat-free" mentality and just get back to the basics of healthy eating and eating the right portions of food for your body.

3. Try to incorporate more water. It can take time to get used to liking it but it is possible especially when you realize how great you feel once hydrated.

4. Move that body!! Again, ease into if you are a newcomer to exercise. By jumping in head first, you are likely to get stressed out and burned out and ultimately give up. The more you do it, the better you will feel and the stronger you will get. That day you realize you don't breath heavy walking up a hill anymore or that walking up a flight of stairs is no biggie will make you realize the service you are doing by being fit. Everything you do, if done consistently, will make a difference..

5. Allow yourself to be human and enjoy yourself from time to time. I always say that life get's in the way sometimes of being on track 24/7. It is all how you deal with the intrusion! No one is saying you can't have a piece of cake or a slice of pizza or enjoy Thanksgiving dinner. But if those are OCCASIONAL and not the norm, it really won't ruin your efforts as long as you have the strength (and confidence in yourself) to enjoy it on occasion and get back to your normal, healthy living the next day (or even next meal!). Fun foods CAN be a part of a healthy lifestyle too.
  • flcaoh
    flcaoh Posts: 444
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Those are all really awesome tips. I especially like the one about food not being something you run to for comfort. I'm from the deep south where all of life's ups and downs are celebrated or cured with gooey fried goodness LOL... so, it's taken a while for me to mentally grasp the idea that you should eat to live, not live to eat.

Once again, thanks so much!!!