If you own an elliptical...

Options
I am going to buy an elliptical to have at home and I don't want to spend any more than about $300 before tax. If you have one, what kind is it, where did you get it, how much was it and do you like it? Even if yours costs more that's okay, I just need a few reference points. I know I won't be able to get anything as nice as what they have at my gym, but a basic one that is smooth and allows me to work up a sweat is all I need so any suggestions are helpful.

the two I saw online so far that I liked were:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Marcy-BF-1201-Elliptical-Machine/15435699

and

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym-StrideTrainer-310-Elliptical/17164465?findingMethod=rr

Replies

• honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    anyone??
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Ellipticals are pretty expensive... In order to get a good one you are probably going to need to spend more than $300... I have one that I don't hardly use because it is pretty rickety but it was free... Garage sales, Craigslist, and thrift stores is your best bet for finding a good one for an inexpensive price... plus then they are already put together and you don't need to worry about assembly :)
  • honeysprinkles
    Options
    Ellipticals are pretty expensive... In order to get a good one you are probably going to need to spend more than $300... I have one that I don't hardly use because it is pretty rickety but it was free... Garage sales, Craigslist, and thrift stores is your best bet for finding a good one for an inexpensive price... plus then they are already put together and you don't need to worry about assembly :)
    I don't plan to spend more, I'm just going to have realistic expectations for what I can get with $300. I have a gym membership so I really can't justify spending any more money on an elliptical. I was just hoping that there were some people on here with cheaper ones that could give me some honest recommendations!
  • shrinkinginQualicum
    shrinkinginQualicum Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have had two, both were nice machines, and both were used. I paid $50 for each one, and have been so happy. The first one was more basic, so when the 2nd one came along I got it because it had some programming that the other one didn't. You will find that if it has some programs where it changes the intensity every minute or so, it will be less boring to do. I really enjoy using it now, and the other one made the time drag a little.
    I wouldn't buy a new one, used ones are usually hardly used at all, and waaaay cheaper. Check the Craigs List in your area, or even put your own ad in the paper. I bet $50 would buy you twice the machine $300 would new.
  • honeysprinkles
    Options
    I have had two, both were nice machines, and both were used. I paid $50 for each one, and have been so happy. The first one was more basic, so when the 2nd one came along I got it because it had some programming that the other one didn't. You will find that if it has some programs where it changes the intensity every minute or so, it will be less boring to do. I really enjoy using it now, and the other one made the time drag a little.
    I wouldn't buy a new one, used ones are usually hardly used at all, and waaaay cheaper. Check the Craigs List in your area, or even put your own ad in the paper. I bet $50 would buy you twice the machine $300 would new.
    I'll have to look into that. thanks for the advice! do you know the name of the one that you had (the 2nd one)?
  • shrinkinginQualicum
    shrinkinginQualicum Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I will check when I get home. I think Sears sells the brand, but can't remember right now. I'll post it for you later this evening.
  • shrinkinginQualicum
    Options
    It's called a Free Spirit 910, and has a Sears (Canada) sticker on it. The main advice I would give you is try them out for general feel, since they are all different, and get one with some preset programs. I have them on my treadmill too, and it makes such a difference to how fast half an hour (or more!) goes by. Good luck.
  • swilk627
    swilk627 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I have the second one you posted -- the Gold's Gym one. I love it. It's not rickety to me. I'm 5'2" and 145 and it's sturdy to me. My husband who is a foot taller and 50 pounds heavier has no problem with it either. We use it daily.
  • honeysprinkles
    Options
    I have the second one you posted -- the Gold's Gym one. I love it. It's not rickety to me. I'm 5'2" and 145 and it's sturdy to me. My husband who is a foot taller and 50 pounds heavier has no problem with it either. We use it daily.
    awesome, thank you! that's exactly the kind of review that I wanted to see! If you like it and use it everyday, I think I might go for that one! I am taller and about 35lbs heavier than you, but if it works for your husband it should be fine for me!
  • Shootingfish
    Options
    I have a Kettler and I love it. Not sure what I paid for it, been awhile. It's still going strong though.
  • mama1229
    Options
    Don't know where you live or anything but I bought my elliptical at Play it Again Sports which sells used sports equipment. New it was a 600.00 machine but I paid 200.00 for it from there. It appeared as if it had never been used. If you have a place that sells used sports equipment nearby you should give them a shot. I agree Craiglist is a good place to check out as well, it just creeps me out a bit.
  • honeysprinkles
    Options
    Don't know where you live or anything but I bought my elliptical at Play it Again Sports which sells used sports equipment. New it was a 600.00 machine but I paid 200.00 for it from there. It appeared as if it had never been used. If you have a place that sells used sports equipment nearby you should give them a shot. I agree Craiglist is a good place to check out as well, it just creeps me out a bit.
    I just looked it up and there is one not to far from where I live, I'll have to go check that out! thanks :)
  • honeysprinkles
    Options
    I went to play it again and they had a really nice one for $299, only problem was that it was too big and I had no way of getting it home and no where to put it in my apartment. I went to Wal Mart and got the Gold's gym one as it's a bit smaller! Now I just need to put it together! thanks for all of the replies!
  • Hyoderrn
    Hyoderrn Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am going to buy an elliptical to have at home and I don't want to spend any more than about $300 before tax. If you have one, what kind is it, where did you get it, how much was it and do you like it? Even if yours costs more that's okay, I just need a few reference points. I know I won't be able to get anything as nice as what they have at my gym, but a basic one that is smooth and allows me to work up a sweat is all I need so any suggestions are helpful.

and

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym-StrideTrainer-310-Elliptical/17164465?findingMethod=rr

I have the Golds Gym 310 from Walmart in December, I love it, it is easy to use, has 6 onboard workouts, and you can change the resistance easily. Right at $300. I recommend it for sure! :happy:
  • Hyoderrn
    Hyoderrn Posts: 54 Member
    Options

and

I have the Golds Gym 310 from Walmart in December, I love it, it is easy to use, has 6 onboard workouts, and you can change the resistance easily. Right at $300. I recommend it for sure! :happy:

I'm 5'4" and 194lbs and have no trouble using it...
  • perpetuallyfit
    perpetuallyfit Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I have a Nordic Track Audio Strider 990. I had bought it from Sears about two years back . It cost close to one grand at the time. I am very happy with it.
  • godricshollow
    godricshollow Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Be careful with what you buy. I thought I'd be cheap and bought a $200 elliptical about two years ago. Within the first few weeks, the left foot pedal snapped off. I super glued it back on rather than dealing with the warranty claim, but then the other pedal snapped off. It actually hurt my knees and was overall really terrible. I joined a gym after I threw it out and the difference was amazing.

I'm not saying that all $200 and $300 machines break or anything, just make sure you do your research (unlike me) and read reviews, maybe even see if you can try one out at the sport store?
  • tinkytootie
    tinkytootie Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello, bumping for a follow up on this one. I am interested in purchasing the Gold's Gym 310 and wondered if the machine was still ho
    I went to play it again and they had a really nice one for $299, only problem was that it was too big and I had no way of getting it home and no where to put it in my apartment. I went to Wal Mart and got the Gold's gym one as it's a bit smaller! Now I just need to put it together! thanks for all of the replies!

Hello, bumping for a follow up on this one. I am interested in purchasing the Gold's Gym 310 and wondered if the machine was still holding up. Thanks!
  • Edie30
    Edie30 Posts: 216
    Options
    I don't know if you have this scheme where you live but I once rented one for 18 months or something and then paid quite a small amount to buy it. It was a gym standard one with flashy computer etc. at the time I was in an apartment so didn't know if I might move so rental seemed a good thing :-)
  • mmgavitt
    mmgavitt Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Look on craigslist!
    A lot of people sell them this time of year for holiday cash. I bought mine new for 1200 then saw the same one a couple months later, used, for $600. You can get a very nice used one for $300. Just make sure you ask to use it before you buy it. I mean actually get your butt on it and have it powered on and do a 1/4 to 1/2 mile. Otherwise you might miss the clunks and get a piece of junk. If they aren't willing to let you try it then walk away from the sale.