Working Shifts

Options
I work shifts........2 days, 2 nights then 4 days off.....will irregular eating patterns cause problems with weight loss?

Replies

• shellyt1
    shellyt1 Posts: 119
    Options
    I don't think so, as long as you watch what you eat on all the days. Days off for me are the hardest because I'm able to eat whenever I want making the right choices. Good luck on your journey to a new you!
  • holeshottdr
    holeshottdr Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Irregular eating patterns will only effect weight loss if you let it. IMO, I think the lack of quality sleep that is commonly associated with shift work has more of a negative effect on weight loss then anything else. I know it definately impacts the quality of my workouts when I'm deprived of sleep.
  • channy5022
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you. It is really difficult to eat healthy in the middle of the night when your body is craving carbs!!! Somedays, when I finish shift, I stay awake if I don't work that next night leaving me up for over 24 hours, leaving me eating all around the clock. Crunchy veggies and fruit for snacks, and lots of water!!!! Good luck, you are not alone.
  • proudtexan71
    proudtexan71 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person. I work in the hotel business and for a while, I was working 3pm-11pm for two nights, then 11pm-7am for two nights, then one 7am-3pm. This began right at the beginning of my weight-loss journey. I was lost - all over the place and gave up more than once.

It took me quite a while but I decided that I was just using my schedule as an excuse. I'm NOT saying that's what you are doing, I'm only telling you my story - I promise. My workouts - 3-11, I'd try to squeeze it in before work. The 11-7 and 7-3 I would do it afterwork. I think my biggest problem was food - when I worked the overnight shift, I used food to keep me awake. But eventually, I got that undercontrol, too.

Do things run like clock-work now? No, but when I stumble, it's my fault, I am human afterall. I don't let it derail me for too long.

You can do this - don't give up! :smile:

If you ever need to talk, vent, or whatever, feel free to shoot me a message. This site and all my new MFP friends have helped me so much and I'd love to pass it along.

Hope this helped.
  • hpynh2o
    hpynh2o Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Sure it will. So you have to work a little harder to overcome the challenge.

I have worked a rather random shift pattern for my entire adult life (emergency room). Whether I wake up at 5am or 3pm, I treat the first meal as breakfast and then spread my meals and snacks through the day. You still need to snack so that you're eating something five times a day. If you don't have easy access to good food at work then you need to bring it with you. Stay away from the junk food machines and soda. Don't skip out on the exercise!

Good luck!