What do you do to cutback on carbs?

Options
So I'm thinking I need to start tackling letting go of even more carbs....what does everyone replace them with?

Replies

• lenmana
    lenmana Posts: 171
    Options
    So I'm thinking I need to start tackling letting go of even more carbs....what does everyone replace them with?
  • Jennnnnnnny
    Jennnnnnnny Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    my brother did the atkins diet. he ate meat and that was basically it....though you need some carbs you could cut down on pasta, don't eat the garlic bread, eat wheat instead to make you feel fuller, and try to eat more fruit. so instead of chips grab some grapes. i think im gonna do that now lol
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I eat my protein first and then I go for the veggies and then if I have room, I might have some of the starch. Most of the time I don't have room.

I also try to make all my snacks protein based. So I used to have a Yoplait Lite yogurt (25 g carbs) or a granola bar as a snack. Now I have cheese sticks or FAGE yogurt (20 g protein, 5 g carbs) or a hard-boiled egg.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    You definitely need carbs, but make healthier choices. I try to stay away from the white stuff (white flour, pasta, regular potatoes, etc).

Try low-carb whole wheat tortillas or pitas instead of bread (higher in fiber too), oatmeal, brown rice, sweet potatoes, the *good* carbs. Fruit can be higher in carb, so while it's good for you, eating a TON of it is a lot of carb too.

Good luck!

Jess
  • codykitty
    codykitty Posts: 729
    Options

Why don't you try just cutting out pasta and bread to start with....
  • girth
    girth Posts: 5
    Options
    eat the bulk of your carbs in the A.M. then after lunch stick to lean proteins and veggies. This is very effective because you need the energy early on and you are likely to be more active during this time frame.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Cucumbers make a better replacement for chips .. at least you can crunch and dip them ;-).

Stick with whole grain, high fiber stuff. Make friends with rice cakes; even the non-whole-wheat ones have less carbs than most bread and crackers.

Don't cut back on veggie carbs; be sure to have your daily 5 ... go for the less starchy ones. You don't need too much fruit. A cup a day is plenty.