exercise and fat/carb/protein ratios

Options
I am trying to manually override the settings to find an ideal ratio for me. I workout hard about 3-4 times a week, and will walk or do something less demanding on a couple other days. Several people have mentioned that the ratios are here may not be ideal. I think the carbs may be too high and the protein not high enough?

Being doing research to find the best ratios for me. What have you found? I know that the type of fat and carbs make a difference and I am conscious of this. Wondering what you have your ratios set to and if you change them based on the days you work out? I have mine currently set to 50% carbs, 25% protein, 25% fat.

Replies

• dr_tina
    dr_tina Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Ratios aren't really great because everyone has different calorie intakes. Set minimum's

1g of protein per lb of lean body mass
    .35g of fats per lb of lean body mass
    Fill rest of calories with carbs or a combination of carbs/fats/protein.

Whatever % you require to hit the above is a good place to start.
  • HikerHigs
    Options
    How did you change your ratios? I want to to lower my carbs & sodium & raise my protein. Thanks for any help you can give me!
  • littlemsmuffet
    Options
    I did 50/25/25 just like yours are set to and it was terrible for me. I didn't lose, exercised moderately, and felt sick all the time (even during the night). I did it to improve my running speed but after two weeks of misery I went back to low carbing. I don't have a set ratio, but I'll tell you how I structure everything:

(1) Determine body composition and lean mass weight (mine is ~90 lbs)
    (2) Determine protein levels based on lean mass and activity. There are some good articles on Google scholar if you want to read recommendations or conclusions from studies that specifically measured protein levels and various exercise levels. My rule of thumb is 0.5g protein/lb lean mass when sedentary (~45 grams for me) and 0.6 -0.7g protein/lb lean mass (~54-63 grams for me) when exercising 40-60 min.

*Notice, I don't calculate calories first. Imo, the most important thing when trying to determine calories is knowing your lean mass first and then your protein.

(3) Calculate calories based on lean mass. I use the Katch-McArdle formula. I don't include my activity calories though (i.e., I don't multiply my BMR by activity factors). I just eat for my BMR (100-1250 cals)
    (4) Multiply grams of protein by 4 to get the represented calories: (45g)(4) = 180 calories
    (5) Subtract protein from BMR: (1100) - (180) = 920
    (6) Partition the remaining calories any way you like, from fat or carbs. I personally go a step further and subtract the calories of ~50g of carbs from that number (920 - 200 = 720 cals) because I eat a low carb diet. The remaining calories then becomes the represented grams of fat I need to eat to reach my goal calories (80 grams or so).

So I guess my ratio would be 65% fat, 18% carbs, 16% protein.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    For exercise, protein is definitely most important. If you don't eat enough protein, you won't build muscle, and more likely to lose it.
  • dr_tina
    dr_tina Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Yes, I recognize the need for protein, that is why I am upping the amount.
  • HikerHigs
    Options
    I understand how to calculate the ratios. What I don't know how to do is change the number in MFP. For example, if carbs are set daily at 188 g how would you change that to 160 g. Again, these aren't actual numbers I would just like to know how to change the preset numbers to ones that I want to use. Thanks!
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    When it comes down to it, nothing matters except eating less calories then you burn to lose weight.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    When it comes down to it, nothing matters except eating less calories then you burn to lose weight.

Except when you are shedding muscle and have no energy to even exercise, then it might to start to matter how you balance those calories.
  • HikerHigs
    Options
    It matters if you have health issues, i.e. high cholesterol, diabetes, high blood pressure, etc. For those with health issues you need to be sure to look at where the calories are coming from that you are consuming. In theory I agree with you, it is calories in vs. calories out, but it's also more than that.