Can someone explain macros in simple terms?

Options
2»

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I keep reading about macros. Is it the little pie chart on your summary or is it a mathematical equation you do on your own each day? Has this formula been a good aide in your weightloss journey?

Macros, or macronutrients, are essentially anything that supplies calories to the chemical engine that is your body. This includes primarily Protein, Carbohydrates and Fats and secondarily Alcohol.

Each macro supplies a certain number of calories per gram. Protein and Carbohydrates supply 4 cal per gram, Fat gives 9 cal per gram and Alcohol gives 7 cal per gram.

When people describe their macros like this "My macros are 40/30/30 Carb/Protein/Fat" what they are saying is that 40% of their caloric intake comes from carbs, 30% comes from protein and 30% from fat.

If you ate 2000 calories that would mean that they would be aiming for (2000*0.4)/4 = 200g of carbs (2000*.3)/4 = 150g of protein and (2000*3)/9= 67g of fat.

The general wisdom is that you should eat 0.8g of protein per lean body mass, 0.4g of fat per pound of weight and the rest as carbs or more protein and fat. Hope that clears that up for you.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    ...and just realized this thread is ancient.
  • juanr2626
    Options
    AHHHHHHHH
  • jpathan
    Options
    new to site, but this guy http://www.iscreamfitness.com/ has been helping people not only with understanding the macro diet, but helping with meal plans that allow them to eat what they want and keep losing. Just thought I would share.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Zombie threads are a sign of the apocalypse to come!!