Should myfitnesspal track smoking too?

Options
I've just started dieting and I'm a smoker (about 20 a day).

Ideally, I want to be fitter and healthier - I don't want to reach my target weight and find all I've done is replace food with cigarettes and be slim but smoke 80 cigs a day!

Last time I gave up smoking, I gained 4 stones (56 lbs) so I went back to it.

I wish myfitnesspal offered a way to track how many cigarettes I'm smoking along with weightloss and exercise.

I'm sure it would also be useful for people who want to give up smoking without putting on weight.

Any thoughts how this might work?

Replies

• diam0nddagger
    Options
    Well I just had a wee browse and "Mayfair Cigarettes - Cancer Stick" is in the database haha! So I guess you could add a 'cigarettes' category into your diary (it's in settings>diary settings I think) then you could track them there? That's great you're cutting down you'll really feel better :)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    You could put it in the notes section.
  • EmilyLock
    EmilyLock Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You could put it in the notes section.

Yes, I could, but what I like about myfitnesspal is that it motivates me and measures my progress - really I wanted to set myself a target which would automatically reduce by one cigarette every 3 days (or whatever I set it to) and give me a progress chart and a timer which would spread the remaining cigarettes out over my waking day (e.g. 7am to midnight or whatever I set it to), and say something like, 'try not to smoke for 17 minutes' or however much was left, to encourage me to wait a little longer.

Or is there perhaps a mysmokingpal website somewhere?
  • Bexx435
    Bexx435 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Have you checked out quitnet.com? I used it when I quit smoking, but I don't recall if it had a tracking feature or not. Good luck though!
  • Alice_H
    Alice_H Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    You could record it as one of your measurements, like weight - click "weigh in", down at the bottom there's a link for "change measurements". That will give you graphs. I can't think of a way to set it as a goal, though.
  • AlbertPooHoles
    AlbertPooHoles Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    You can add different measurements here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/measurements/change

The measurements don't have to be the circumference of body parts. It could be miles run/walked, cigarettes smoked, days without a smoke, dogs kicked, bowel movement frequency, bowel movement total mass, etc..
  • Bexx435
    Bexx435 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    You can add different measurements here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/measurements/change

The measurements don't have to be the circumference of body parts. It could be miles run/walked, cigarettes smoked, days without a smoke, dogs kicked, bowel movement frequency, bowel movement total mass, etc..

Finally! There's a way to track my dog kicking activities!