has anyone else felt this before?

Options
cquick
cquick Posts: 220
so i just got done being sick again...mostly a thick yellow mucus/drainage/head cold with head aches....

i'm not a big medicine person, but i'm so sick of being sick, i said to hell with it, and i took sudafed to dry up my sinuses since i felt a lot of pressure in my frontal/maxillary sinuses, and also took echinacea and vitamin c....

now, i'm over it, and i'm having weird earache-like symptoms. i haven't had an earache since i was a child and i know that some head colds can lead to earaches because the eustachian tubes can get backed up with infected fluid...

but here's the weird thing...i don't really have an ache, but i feel like my eardrum is quivering!!!! oh, it's the oddest feeling ever! i'm not off balance, my ears don't feel full, i have not pressure in my ear at all, and i'm not off balance...but it honestly feels like my eardrum is like some little butterfly wing fluttering in my ear....when i pull on my ear, there isn't any pain like they say there should be...it's odd as hell...

has anyone else felt like this before? :frown:

Replies

• cquick
    Options
    so i just got done being sick again...mostly a thick yellow mucus/drainage/head cold with head aches....

i'm not a big medicine person, but i'm so sick of being sick, i said to hell with it, and i took sudafed to dry up my sinuses since i felt a lot of pressure in my frontal/maxillary sinuses, and also took echinacea and vitamin c....

now, i'm over it, and i'm having weird earache-like symptoms. i haven't had an earache since i was a child and i know that some head colds can lead to earaches because the eustachian tubes can get backed up with infected fluid...

but here's the weird thing...i don't really have an ache, but i feel like my eardrum is quivering!!!! oh, it's the oddest feeling ever! i'm not off balance, my ears don't feel full, i have not pressure in my ear at all, and i'm not off balance...but it honestly feels like my eardrum is like some little butterfly wing fluttering in my ear....when i pull on my ear, there isn't any pain like they say there should be...it's odd as hell...

has anyone else felt like this before? :frown:
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    That is weird ...

I take Sudafed when my ears are stuffy ... it doesn't do much to dry me out. So maybe your ears are as un-stuffed as they've been in a couple decades? I'm just guessing ...
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options
    I get frequent sinus infections and they mess with your ears. If it gets worse, you'll probably want to see a doc... but you might wait it out and see... I know the feeling you're describing, too... and that drives me nuts! I try a lot of steam baths and hot liquids, because sometimes it brings clarity for a while... but mostly I just have to wait it out.

I have permanent tinnitus from chronic sinus infections... :grumble:
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    it sounds like you have fluid on the ears. The drainage you were feeling has proably gone into you tubes and it needs to dry up. I would go see the doctor.

I messed around with my ears 2 years ago when I had a sinus infection and lost 50% hearing in my right ear from it.
  • tiff1632
    tiff1632 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have that right now. Took meds and my sinuses feel better but my ear feel like there are going to shake right off of me. :explode:
    My parents always did the "eye candles" on me when i was a kid, and it always seemed to work...so when I feel better I am going to the natural health store to get more....

Hope you feel better!!!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • cquick
    Options
    it sounds like you have fluid on the ears. The drainage you were feeling has proably gone into you tubes and it needs to dry up. I would go see the doctor.

I messed around with my ears 2 years ago when I had a sinus infection and lost 50% hearing in my right ear from it.

oh my goodness, i'm so sorry....:brokenheart: did you have problems with earaches before? what do you mean when you say you messed around with your ears....? did you hold em hostage wif a q-tip! i've done that before!
  • cquick
    Options
    I get frequent sinus infections and they mess with your ears. If it gets worse, you'll probably want to see a doc... but you might wait it out and see... I know the feeling you're describing, too... and that drives me nuts! I try a lot of steam baths and hot liquids, because sometimes it brings clarity for a while... but mostly I just have to wait it out.

I have permanent tinnitus from chronic sinus infections... :grumble:

permanent tinnitus! oh my word, that has to be annoying...:sick: ...i'll definitely try a steam bath today and i love tea, so i'll put down some o' the hot liquids today, thanks for the advice!
  • cquick
    Options
    I have that right now. Took meds and my sinuses feel better but my ear feel like there are going to shake right off of me. :explode:
    My parents always did the "eye candles" on me when i was a kid, and it always seemed to work...so when I feel better I am going to the natural health store to get more....

Hope you feel better!!!!!!! :flowerforyou:

eye candles? you goob, i know you meant ear candles lol thanks for the giggle lol

i've always thought of trying it, but i don't clean my ear often (maybe once every two months) because i just don't have much wax in there (my brother says you build up wax to protect your brain...i must not have much gray matter, then :laugh: )

i might try that sometime later, but right now i'll stick with a steam bath/tea and see how it goes...i'll let you know what happens when i try it out!

thanks everybody, i thought i was a little crazy because i've never heard of such a thing before and i couldn't find any information online or in my health encyclopedias...thanks a ton (o' wax)! :indifferent: :laugh:
  • angelinaz
    angelinaz Posts: 262
    Options
    ear candles are amazing! I have to order then on the internet because they are "illegal" to sell in stores in Texas. :cry: There are natural garlic drops for ears at whole foods or natural food stores that really help. Your ears probably are draining. If not better really soon, please go see the doc! :smile: :heart:
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Like others have said you might want to see the dr so you don't risk damage to your ears.

This won't help you now but with future colds, allergies, sinus problems use a neti pot. I started using one a year ago and I'm still amazed at how much better I feel. Normally through spring/summer I would go through boxes of sudafed. It was the only thing that worked. But last year I only took it a few times. I use the almost daily. (I try to everyday but somedays I skip it.) I had a head cold in the fall and used it a couple of times a day. Made the cold much less annoying. My DH was sick with a bad head cold/sinus thing a couple of weeks ago. I talked him into using it. He could not believe how much better he felt after using it one time.

Someone else mentioned ear candleing. I was not a believer in it until my niece did my daughters ears a few weeks ago. My DD always has ear problems when she flys. Had the candleing done on a Thursday. Flew on Monday with no problems. She said this is the first time she's ever had such enjoyable flights. Usually the pressure is so painful she's just miserable.
    I'm going to try it next time I fly.
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    I've had a "plugged" and painful ear for two years. I've been to the ENT doctor, and his final say was allergies. Told me I could take allergy medicine (I believe he prescribed Allegra) and when the pain got so bad I couldn't stand it, to go back in and they would test for what I was allergic to.

I roll my eyes a bit when I say it, but the earache does get a bit better (although it never goes away entirely) when I take allergy meds. I've quit on the Allegra, I think I'm taking OTC Zyrtec right now.

I'm with everyone else, have it checked by a doctor...
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Must be a trend!

I woke up about a week and a half ago with a fever, aches and pains and chills....and bad sore throat...had it for a few days and last Sunday thought it was almost over....and then Monday night had a bad earache!

I went to the Doc and he of course said I have a sinus and ear infection and I've been on antibiotics since. I am pretty much over it now but my ear still has that plugged kind of feeling (where I hear myself talk! I hate that!)

So, go get some meds for it. That kind of stuff can drag on! Hope you feel better!
  • cquick
    Options
    you guys are awesome....

angelinaz: seriously? ear candles are ILLEGAL in texas? weird....oh, and garlic is like the herb of the gods, my dad got rid of a tooth ache sucking on a clove of garlic after dealing with the pain for a month...garlic is a godsend...

illpeturbunnyifulike: i'm glad that you found something that worked for you...it seems like you don't like taking medication either, just like me....but if zyrtec works for you, it just plain does and it's worth it!

keiko: i've been using my neti pot for months now, and i love it! at first i didn't like it too well b/c it gave me a feeling like i was drowning, but now i know how to hold my head properly and it works really well...spread the word on neti pots, i think it helped me shave a couple of days off this time around...

hey tam! : oi, what is with our ears? so odd........this is probably what we get for all of those years of using antibacterial this and that for everything, you know? we have this young man here in central ohio that just had his legs amputated because of MRSA...:cry: so sad....he was the captain of his row team and so athletic...it makes me think my little ear-flutter isn't so bad, esp since it hasn't affected me in any other way....

i'll give this thing one more day, then i'll go to the free clinic and see if they can help me out (kind of low on funds right now, so even just a simple doctor's visit could break my bank :brokenheart: )
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    Sooooooo... what's the update? How's the ear doing?
  • cquick
    Options
    i can't tell you...i is scared of zombies... lmao

well, i drank a lot of warm liquids, took a steam bath, used my neti pot...the i thought i would just TRY a q-tip, just by sticking it in my ear gently to see if it would soak up any liquid or what not....

well, it definitely did! the fluttering immediately went down to a shake for the rest of the day on sunday, and now i have only a low tremble in my ear once or twice a day....maybe it was just "water" on my ear? it was different color than usual, kind of dark but watery, not waxy....

i feel a TON better! i just feel so much better....

thank you guys! i'm glad i asked you guys first, i really thought myself to be a nutjob....(like i'm not lol)

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

cquick