Exercise calories- Do you multiply by 0.8?

Options
I know I could probably search the forums for this, but I don't feel like it. I couldn't believe that while working out, the machine said I burned 700 calories in 30 minutes, so I asked the fitness attendant how accurate the calorie count on the machines were. He told me the easiest thing to do was to multiply my total burn for that workout by 0.8 to be more accurate. I've been pretty successful at losing weight at a slow and steady pace and keeping it off without doing this, but I've hit a plateau. Does anyone else do this? I know it definitely won't hurt to burn the extra calories, just wanted to know if anyone else had any other opinions.

Thanks!

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    No, I don't, but then I record my calories burned with a HRM, so I know it's accurate.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    700 calories in 30 minutes is insane (perhaps impossible?)! 560 is also very high (doable only for those who are both heavy yet fast).

The real answer is get a heart rate monitor.
  • CoachDMarz
    Options
    I want to use that machine. What burned 700 calories in 30 minutes? Some gyms preset the weights and ages of their treadmills so you wont always get an accurate calorie count.
  • dadoffo
    dadoffo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    700 in 30 is pretty high. I worked out last night for 60 minutes and burned 650 calories. I was using a HRM.
  • run4yourlife
    run4yourlife Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of this before but it still sounds too high to me. I ran for 60 min on the TM last night and the machine said I burned 960 cals. If I multiply that by 0.8, my burn would be 768. I was wearing a HRM and it said I burned 555 calories. Low-balling it is definitely best when you just have the machine to go by, but a HRM will give you the most accurate data.
  • MollieMorgan
    Options
    I'm not sure what machine it was. It was a leg press type thing. I had it up to level 18 on resistance though.