A good work out-- any tips?

Options
Hello all!

Im in a slump, when I goto the gym I dont feel like I am getting the best workout with the time I have. I usually stay at the gym for an hour and in the at hour I will do 35-45 min of elliptical and then SOME weights (im clueless when it comes to weights) I do the pull up machine/dip machine and I do squats.

I am 5'3 162 pounds. Im not a beginner in exercising but Im not intermediate yet. I probably burn 350-450 calories in that hour.

Any tips on getting a better work out in an hour?

Replies

• bethmatzke
    Options
    My first thought is, are you going the same pace on the elliptical? Just by doing intervals, you will be much more effective with your time. Warm up, then jack your level and speed for 30 seconds, then go back to moderate for a minute. (Or what time frame works for you). Repeat. You will burn many more calories!
    Also, does your gym have fitness classes? If so, challenge yourself and try something new. Variety is the spice of life!
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I'd say separate your cardio and lifting days. You can get more out of your lifting if you have a routine, 5x5, madcow, or even new rules.
  • lsilly15
    lsilly15 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    great tip! i usually do the interval selection. I notice some girls that work next to me just do high resistance and crossramp and they burn so much more!
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    My first thought is, are you going the same pace on the elliptical? Just by doing intervals, you will be much more effective with your time. Warm up, then jack your level and speed for 30 seconds, then go back to moderate for a minute. (Or what time frame works for you). Repeat. You will burn many more calories!
    Also, does your gym have fitness classes? If so, challenge yourself and try something new. Variety is the spice of life!

I was going to suggest the same. And intervals can be done on any cardio that you choose. I myself am not very fond of cardio, so I break it up into 3 sessions per workout. Changing up cardio equipment as well. I do a warm up, 10 minutes of moderate intervals, 1/2 my weights, another 10 minutes of hard intervals, the 2 half of my weights, another 10 minutes of hard cardio, 5 cool down. Then finish up with sit ups, push ups and stretching. just a suggestion.