Runner's Knee?

Options
2»

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Shoes are important. But have you considered strength building as a way of working with the knee? I get knee pain when my muscles aren't strong enough for the strain of running (I'm still pretty big). As I've built my strength, I get less and less pain.

Also remember, the kind of pain you can 'run through' is part and parcel of the experience of learning to run. It does hurt a bit at first. As long as it's just 'a bit' and not 'ouch that hurts and awful lot' it may just be the ordinary aches and pains associated with the new demands you're putting on the old bod?
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Also remember, the kind of pain you can 'run through' is part and parcel of the experience of learning to run. It does hurt a bit at first. As long as it's just 'a bit' and not 'ouch that hurts and awful lot' it may just be the ordinary aches and pains associated with the new demands you're putting on the old bod?

I guess thats kind of my other question...the pain is only in one knee but its not debilitating. It makes me walk a bit slower but its not like I want to scream in pain or anything...I'm not totally sure if its just normal pains or if it is in fact runners knee. I suppose the glucosamine and some strength building exercises can only help though.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    You can get a drink called Joint Juice,it's sort of like Propel but has the joing supporting vitamins in the water. Tastes all right, and helps towards your water goals while providing you the nutrient support. I also say strength exercises like leg curls would help. I know it helped me. I got "runner's knee" from just being heavy and walking around!

Also, you can get extra support in your shoes with a simple pair of inserts for like 10 bucks. Walgreens has those recommendation stations now, so you could probably get a temporary fix for not too expensive.
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options

Not sure I guess...I'd say heel.

If you are hitting with your heel first, you are more likely to be putting increased force on your knee. Try this the next time you go for a run. Force yourself to run so that the balls of your feet are the thing that hit first. Don't let your heel hit at all. It will feel odd at first, but its supposed to be the more natural way of running, and allowing your arch to act like a spring.

Running like this has really lowered my Runners knee.
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

If you are hitting with your heel first, you are more likely to be putting increased force on your knee. Try this the next time you go for a run. Force yourself to run so that the balls of your feet are the thing that hit first. Don't let your heel hit at all. It will feel odd at first, but its supposed to be the more natural way of running, and allowing your arch to act like a spring.

So kinda like running in high heels....Interesting.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I have an injured knee (I'm actually getting surgery on mine), but other forms of strength exercises have really helped.

I like squats and lunges but aren't allowed to do them now my knee has been diagnosed.

I was recommended a lot of hip flexor exercises. Leg risers etc.
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine recommended Glucosamine Chondroiton. It's a supplement that is good for your joints.

Don't take it if you have a shellfish allergy though. I can't take it because of this. :frown:
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options

Interesting...I'll try this!