Women! Weight Lifting! Why so scary!

Options
It's totally not scary.

I thought it was. I lift at a university gym with (sexy, scary) twenty-something college men (and sometimes women) and they intimidated the hell out of me. I was sure they were watching the fat lady struggle to bench press the damn bar :( Or worse... they were laughing secretly at me when I read the directions three times over on the leg press.

But I'm so over that and I'm a lot stronger than I thought I was. I've seen huge improvements. I know it's not really muscle gain- no way can I gain strength that quickly- it's all about confidence. I was afraid of looking foolish. I was afraid of hurting myself. But I'm over that.

Soooo.... the moral of the story is: Ladies, just do it ! If this fat lady with bad hips and a bad back can do it, you totally can too.

Plus... I'm FINALLY losing weight again (watch... I just jinxed myself and the scale won't move for another 3 months).

Replies

• kristyhooker
    Options
    Thats awesome! Way to go! It is a little intimadating at first! But its soooo much more fun than cardio! I love lifting! I'm doing Jamie Eason's LiveFit 12 week program right now and the frist month is only lifting no cardio! So much more enjoyable! Keep it up!
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I always enjoy watching the women lift weights at the gym. Not because I am a perv, but I know how beneficial it is and I always know the weight lifting girls "get it". When I see a woman doing something silly I really try hard to resist the temptation to go over and help them (correct form, or tell them to do more weight, lol).

As long as I don't see someone doing bosu ball lunges with 2 lb dumbbells, I am good. Happy for them. And most importantly, I respect them for doing it because I know it can be intimidating.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    It's totally not scary.

I thought it was. I lift at a university gym with (sexy, scary) twenty-something college men (and sometimes women) and they intimidated the hell out of me. I was sure they were watching the fat lady struggle to bench press the damn bar :( Or worse... they were laughing secretly at me when I read the directions three times over on the leg press.

But I'm so over that and I'm a lot stronger than I thought I was. I've seen huge improvements. I know it's not really muscle gain- no way can I gain strength that quickly- it's all about confidence. I was afraid of looking foolish. I was afraid of hurting myself. But I'm over that.

Soooo.... the moral of the story is: Ladies, just do it ! If this fat lady with bad hips and a bad back can do it, you totally can too.

Plus... I'm FINALLY losing weight again (watch... I just jinxed myself and the scale won't move for another 3 months).

Very well said. =*) <
    tear on my smiley face.
  • G30Grrl
    G30Grrl Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Rebekah, your timing is impeccable! I just got 'The New Rules of Lifting for Women' in the mail yesterday and started reading it last night. A lot of what I am reading in there dovetails perfectly with the information I'm reading about the Paleo/Primal lifestyle. So this morning, instead of going to the gym and doing 65 minutes on the elliptical, I went back to weights, only instead of focusing on reps, I upped all the weights to the most I could handle and only did one set of each. And in between, I did some cardio (HIIT on the elliptical kinda made me feel like I was going to die after, but during, I was a machine!!) and ab workouts. I used my HRM for the first time, so I got a good estimate of calories burned.

Plus, I go so early in the morning, I mostly only see the folks who work at the school or hospital, my favorite coworker, and one military guy, so it isn't too intimidating if I can get up early enough. I'm excited to be changing the focus of my workouts, and look forward to building a lot more muscle, and hopefully burning more fat as well. Until this morning's weigh-in, I hadn't lost anything in about 6 weeks or more. I'm still going to be doing the 30-Day Shred, because even without the weight loss, I have lost SIGNIFICANT inches while doing that. But the rest of my workouts will minimize cardio and include a lot more weights from now on. Glad to know I'm not alone!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I've never thought it was scary. My problem is that I don't think it's fun. In fact, I find it to be the exact opposite of fun. I do lift some because I think it's necessary to keep my upper body as firm as I like it, but it's like taking medicine. I do it because it's good for me, not because I enjoy it. And I pretty much hate every minute of it. I wish I didn't.
  • Riverofbeauty
    Riverofbeauty Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Agree. I really don't like cardio, I like weight lifting sooo much better, and the results are awesome. :)
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I'm really glad you are getting more comfortable!
  • Erica002
    Erica002 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I always enjoy watching the women lift weights at the gym. Not because I am a perv, but I know how beneficial it is and I always know the weight lifting girls "get it". When I see a woman doing something silly I really try hard to resist the temptation to go over and help them (correct form, or tell them to do more weight, lol).

As long as I don't see someone doing bosu ball lunges with 2 lb dumbbells, I am good. Happy for them. And most importantly, I respect them for doing it because I know it can be intimidating.

If it were me, and I was doing it wrong, I'd want you to come tell me! Just don't do it in a cocky tone.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    At first I was so scared but now I love being the only girl in the free weights part of the gym. I really do not like it when another girl come....I do not like to share :)
  • lemonadem
    lemonadem Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I've never thought it was scary. My problem is that I don't think it's fun. In fact, I find it to be the exact opposite of fun. I do lift some because I think it's necessary to keep my upper body as firm as I like it, but it's like taking medicine. I do it because it's good for me, not because I enjoy it. And I pretty much hate every minute of it. I wish I didn't.

I'm the exact opposite. Lifting is a blast for me! It wins out over cardio big time in my book.

Glad you started lifting, and didn't let it intimidate you!
  • MotorCityFemmeFatale
    Options

this

I'm so glad you went into the weight room and started lifting, good for you!
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I don't find the idea of lifting scary. It's the free weights area that scares me. To many ripped men and me fatty only really able to lift about 10kg. :laugh:

Luckily I have a gym that has another area that I can go to to lift weights in.
  • janegalt37
    janegalt37 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I'm just worried about an iffy knee. I want to start soooooooo bad, but feel I need to do some other f-arounditis stuff first to make sure what's benched me in the past doesn't happen again. I've been able to do push-ups and chest flies without my shoulder problem coming back much, so there's hope.
    Thanks for the post. It's nice to know that people with uncooperative body parts can still effectively do this.
  • mattkellett
    Options
    there are 3 basic phases to a periodized model of training. Adaptation: strengthening core stablizing main joints, preparing them for load. Also this is the phase that a trainer will "take care of you" develop a habit of going to the gym. Next is the Stregth phase, a phase that most women will skip all together (for all the myths we all know hear about) this is where we need to increase the muscle tissue in your body. The reason for this is, the more muscle tissue on your body the higher your metabolic rate is at rest. (means you burn more calories while you are at your desk) next is the Metabolic phase where our focus should be on burning fat, so increasing the intensity and getting that heart rate up while taking the external stress off the body , giving it a chance to fully recover. This is a phase that most guys dont do, and they stay in the strength phase WAY too long leading to decreased strength, size, and INJURIES.

Women need to lift! a womens muscle is no different than a man's muscle. I know what you're going to say "but i dont want to get big and bulky" women have 1/8 the testosterone as guys and it takes a guy a long time to "build " muscle.

hope this helps. but LIFT and lift as heavy as you can, Women usually underestimate themselves with how strong they really are.

Matt
  • aregensb
    aregensb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    At first I was so scared but now I love being the only girl in the free weights part of the gym. I really do not like it when another girl come....I do not like to share :)

hahaha me neither. I love lifting though, so much more than doing cardio!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Women need to lift! a womens muscle is no different than a man's muscle. I know what you're going to say "but i dont want to get big and bulky" women have 1/8 the testosterone as guys and it takes a guy a long time to "build " muscle.

I could be wrong, but I think when many women say they don't want to get "big and bulky" they are not talking about getting as big and bulky like a man. They are talking more about looking like those pics of Jillian Michaels with her weird man arms and no hips that litter the internet banners.
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options

I actually appreciate when someone comes and give me some advice as long as they don't do it in a condescending way. I won't learn to do it the correct way if no one tells me that I'm doing it wrong :)
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    A great thread! Thanks - it's what I needed to read. I used to love lifting weights - I was strong but never 'bulky'.
  • wady24
    wady24 Posts: 75
    Options
    Ok so I have a question. I have done NROL4W before and I loved it. I gained a lot of strength and muscle (not defined yet as I went back to old habits of cardio).

Anyway my question is the last time I started doing heavy weights, I was at near perfect weight for my height. 5" 4' and about 120 lbs. I maintained my weight and ate like a dog and looked better.

This time around, I have had a baby 9 months back and am around 136 lbs. Do I need to shed the 10 lbs or so before I venture out fully with this program or can I start doing this again full heartedly and 'Look' the same. Don't really care too much about the number on the scale. I really want to look just lean.

Right now I have been doing Interval training for about 50 mins about 3 times a week. My off days, I usually do yoga or just walk.

Sorry for hijacking this thread but I am confused
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I have HUGE shoulders so I really don't want to get bigger there... yeah they say women don't have enough testosterone to get big but I have a testosterone problem, so while I'm sure I don't have as much testosterone as a man, I'm afraid that I will get big.