Daily Calorie Intake

Options
Just needed some insight...

I have been told I should be eating anywhere from 1200 to 1800 calories. Thats quite a big difference. My trainer said I should be eating around 1700-1800 a day. My nutritionist said 1500 and MFP tells me 1200. Im 24, currently around 205 and need to lost about 70-80lbs to be at my target weight for my body type. I work out 6 days a week for at LEAST an 1-1&1/2 hours every day. I was trying to stay around 1400 calories a day but I havent been able to lose weight consistently. i can see changes in the way my clothes are fitting and I know i am building muscle back because i was an athlete for most of my life and I build it fairly quickly.

Can anyone help me out? I'm not sure where exactly i am supposed to be.

Replies

• japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Its hard to say without knowing what you're burning in your workouts. MFP seems to always say 1200 if your goal is 2 lbs a week. If you eat 1500 calories and burn (through exercise) 300 calories, you are at 1200. If you eat 1800 calories and you burn 600 (through exercise) you back to 1200 calories. It all depends.
  • Gshields42
    Options
    Go by what your nutritionist says if you are in doubt. MFP uses statistics to estimate, and mileage can vary. Nutritionist presumably has some schooling/training on this, and can (should) give you fairly tailored advice for your situation. Just make sure that they are aware that you are going to be working out as well, though that may not change their advice much.

Trainers are incredibly hit or miss, since there is no standard certification or training for them. They tend to be more akin to salesmen pushing their services than health/medical professionals. If you get a bad one, it can very easily become dangerous to your well-being for you to listen to them. Because of this, most around here will tell you disregard a trainer's advice in any case of conflicting information. That said, there are some good trainers out there that know what they are talking about, it's just hard to pick the diamonds out of the rough.

If there is further question, see your doctor and ask for their advice.