4mph vs 4mph (15min/mi)...is there really a difference?

Options
Can someone please explain what the difference is between walking 4mph and walking 4mph (15 minute mile). I'm confused...it seems to me that, if you are walking 4mph...you would be doing a mile every 15 minutes yet, there is almost a 200 calorie difference - for my weight and that time frame - when I look it up. I did 4 miles and another 2 laps (around an arena where 7 laps is a mile) and I did it in an hour...I don't know what to log...would that be considered 4mph (15 min/mi)? I'm new to doing this so please don't hold this question against me!

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. The only 4mph walking I see in the database is "Walking, 4.0 mph, very brisk pace". Where is this coming from?
  • blissy_girl
    blissy_girl Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Honestly... I take it all with a grain of salt. I am pretty sure that my 5' tall 199 lbs body will burn a ton more going 4 on the treadmill then a man who is 5'8" at 180 lbs. When I log in the 4 mph it says "walking briskly." I am so short that there is NO WAY for me to walk at 4mph. I think the calories on here are educated guesses.

I am sorry, I am not much help. My suggestion is take the one with less calories to be safe. I know people will tell you to get a heart rate monitor and track your calories burned that way.

Good luck figuring it out.
  • aprildawn81
    aprildawn81 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    It comes from livestrong.com :)
  • aprildawn81
    Options
    Thanks for your help! :)
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Um why not just use the one here?
  • aprildawn81
    Options
    Um why not just use the one here?

The database on this site isn't as extensive as livestrong. I can find it in more detail there...and I've been on their site for a year or so now so I think I'm just used to it. I am loving mfp though.
  • rlrlnash
    rlrlnash Posts: 1
    Options
    I know your post is a little old, but I just came across it. The 4 mph calculation can be used to figure calories burned while walking distances less than a mile or for an average. The 4mph(15min/mi) is used when you walk a FULL mile at the 4mph speed. Maintaining the speed for the duration of a full mile (or more) will burn more calories than say walking 30 min. in the morning and 30 min. in the evening at the same speed. Hope you are still here and this post helps:)