Portion Sizes

Options
Hey guys

Sooo I think I have conquered the healthy eating part of dieting and am staying under my calories each day unless I have a wobble and I am keeping up with my exercise each week but think I am still out with my portion sizes so might not be doing as well as I think.

How do you guys judge your portion sizes? x

Replies

• aamb
    aamb Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    i weigh everything
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Weigh stuff, and read the nutrition labels. when it says 1 cup, it means 1 measuring cup, etc. Nothing crazy about it.
  • showtyme37
    Options
    I bought a kid bowl and plate lol..
  • dirtbikegirl5
    dirtbikegirl5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I read the labels on things so I know what a serving actually is. If 6 crackers is a serving, I take out 6 and close the box up. I also use a small dish at dinner. A lot of people measure and weigh but I don't do that, however, I think that is an excellent way to control your intake.
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I use my scale and also measuring cups & spoons !

I have used a food scale for many years........I started using one when I had joined Weight Watchers ages ago. It will definately open your eyes, well it surely did mine :noway: to portion control especially when measuring food with measuring cups and spoons or by eyeball :ohwell: and you won't believe how much more food you really may be eating by not weighing it. I weigh almost everything I have to eat now.....

The food scale I have is a Kitrics Digital Nutrition Scale (which I bought on QVC but have seen it on amazon and some mail order catalogs too) and it has food codes programmed into it and you can add more food codes for your favorite foods and the scale gives you the nutritional info for the items you are weighing. It has a tare button and you can change between grams and ounces for weighing items.

You can buy any food scale from a regular digital scale to the much fancier ones. I think the main point is basically the measuring of the portions :wink:
  • apena_06
    Options

I kind of like that idea. How's it working for you?
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    When I cook just for me, I weigh and measure everything. If I have to cook for me and my husband, I have certain meals. I weigh like noodles in general and know how much I get and he gets the rest...same with potatoes and stuff...I may be a little off when I am serving up mine and his but we're pretty consistant with how much I get and how much he gets...
  • vsyates
    vsyates Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I measure, weigh, and read labels. I dont let anything up to my guessing :ohwell:
  • isaacs06
    isaacs06 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I read the labels on things so I know what a serving actually is. If 6 crackers is a serving, I take out 6 and close the box up. I also use a small dish at dinner. A lot of people measure and weigh but I don't do that, however, I think that is an excellent way to control your intake.

me too! i read on the label the serving and that's what i take - i'll break out measuring cups if i'm at home. i have also started using the smaller plates and bowls from my dishes.
  • supergr33n
    supergr33n Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    At home, I stick to what labels define as a single serving, and then I measure or weigh.

Away from home I use these guidelines for measuring (a visual guide using your hand as reference): http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=32681&sc=3006
  • kittycarson
    Options
    I measure, weigh, and read labels. I dont let anything up to my guessing :ohwell:

This...
  • showtyme37
    Options

I kind of like that idea. How's it working for you?

Working good..
  • natalieg0307
    natalieg0307 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    When I first joined MFP and started looking at portion sizes on labels....I was shocked. They looked so TINY. Now......I look at restaurant portions and they look so HUGE!

After a little more than 30 days on MFP.....I'm finding that I'm okay with having 11 Funyans....or 13 chips. I take the one serving out and put the bag away. Sometimes, I don't even eat the full portion.

I don't weigh.....but I do used measuring cups.
  • jellymuffin
    Options
    Love the kid plate option and will deffo start using my scales! Thanks guys x
  • showtyme37
    Options
    Its working good.. I have no choice lol..:smile: