Spin Class..I'm scared

Options
nikii14
nikii14 Posts: 403 Member
This is one class I am so afraid to try, but I really want to attempt it.
I'm not sure if I will be able to keep up. I mean, I can ride the bike, but I don't think I can go as fast as they do. Every time I see the class let out, they look like they just rode in a marathon...I can't do that!! :grumble:

Whatcha think??
Those of you who Spin, what's it like??

Replies

• nikii14
    Options
    I'm not sure if I will be able to keep up. I mean, I can ride the bike, but I don't think I can go as fast as they do. Every time I see the class let out, they look like they just rode in a marathon...I can't do that!! :grumble:

Whatcha think??
  • Girlmom282109
    Girlmom282109 Posts: 2,643 Member
    Options

Whatcha think??

Go at your own pace. If you think you can try it harder then do it. I love spinning!
  • quinnybear
    quinnybear Posts: 243
    Options
    i LOVE spin!:bigsmile:

it is definitely a work out. i tried it for the first time in december and know i spin 4 days a week. its addicting! the class is usually a mix of sprints and strength. you add resistance to your bike throughout the class and if its too much for you just add a little less than the instructor tells you to add.
  • nueta1922
    nueta1922 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I really love spin class dont get to go a often to my fav teacher due to my work schedule, but you will be sore after the first class. Especially if you have not worked out in a while... but it will pass. I found that buying a gel seat helped with the soreness. You can get them at any WalMart, Target or sporting goods store and they are not that expensive. My but thanked me for getting it.

Good luck and it is a great workout!
  • nikii14
    Options
    I really love spin class dont get to go a often to my fav teacher due to my work schedule, but you will be sore after the first class. Especially if you have not worked out in a while... but it will pass. I found that buying a gel seat helped with the soreness. You can get them at any WalMart, Target or sporting goods store and they are not that expensive. My but thanked me for getting it.

Oh..I completely forgot about the seat part. I have no hiney...so just riding a regular bike hurts, can you imagine if i spin?? :sad:
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I did my first spin class on Saturday because someone(s) on MFP told me to just go for it--did it kill me? Absolutely. But I was a very happy corpse. :noway: :tongue: :laugh:

No but seriously, if you go in a few minutes before the class starts, find your bike, and play around with the resistance levels, you'll be able to gauge it just fine when you're pumping your brains out through your quads. Cheers! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

PS I am signed up for next Saturday's class, so the dead really do live again. :smooched: But if I do it on a regular basis, I am going to have to get my own seat... :blushing:
  • mandyc1108
    mandyc1108 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    You should definately try it. The worst that could happen is that you do not like it. Then you could always try to find something else, but at least you can say you tried.
  • abermingham
    Options
    I try and spin regularly and was scared to death my first time, but what everyone is saying is true. Plus, if you feel you can't keep up, no one knows your resistance but you so that kept me from feeling embarrased. The more you go too the easier it will be, give it a few tries and for sure get the seat, that can be a lifesaver. Just have fun with it and I think you will be surprised how great a workout it is. I love your pic btw.
  • Girlmom282109
    Options

Oh..I completely forgot about the seat part. I have no hiney...so just riding a regular bike hurts, can you imagine if i spin?? :sad:

Buy a GEL seat cover. My hiney hurt for a week afterwards!
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    I just tried it for the first time last week. My gym offers their classes for free, so I figured, what the heck? My butt hurt so bad from the seat when I was done, and I pretty much hated it. But, I'm going back again tomorrow! LOL. I figure I should try it at least three times before I write it off entirely. And I think once I figure out how to make the seat comfortable, it will be a lot better.

You don't have to go as fast as they say, and you don't have to stand up every time they do. If you can, then great, and if you can't, well, listen to your body and do what it says. Just make sure you bring a small towel and a large water bottle, you sweat A LOT, and you'll need something to mop yourself up and keep yourself hydrated. Oh, and let your instructor know that you're new. Mine came over and helped me set up my bike so that it was right for my height.

Good luck!
  • lightpath246
    lightpath246 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My first experience with spinning was not that great b/c I was as nervous as you seem to be. It indeed felt like I had just raced a marathon and my butt was sooo uncomfortable. I never attended another spinning class for years. This past summer, I joined a new gym and I tried out a spinning class there b/c the instuctor seemed really good and I absolutely loved it. I began to go to his classes twice a week and got leaner. Spinning is a total body workout and you'll burn about 400 calories in about 45 min. My instructor makes the class very interactive as well so that helps alot. I would suggest that you go buy yourself one of those gel bike seats- in order to avoid discomfort- and then go for it. You'll love it! It WILL be hard at first but go at your own pace and then build yourself up as time goes by
  • ghodgkins
    Options
    You've got to do it! My wife and I started in January and have been going twice a week ever since. It is such a great calorie burner (you feel tired but fantastic afterward) and really nothing to be scared of, especially if you: wear padded bike shorts or get a gel seat cover and use as little resistance as you need to the first few times to be comfortable. As has been said, no one knows how much resistance you have on your bike, you can do everything everone in the class is doing but still work into it slowly by starting out at a comfortable setting. It is great advice too to arrive a little early the first time and let the instructor know - everyone I've met has been extremely gracious and accommodating - they like new people. Seriously, it's no big deal - granted it can be hard - but how hard will be totally up to you. Good luck!
  • nikii14
    Options
    What about your knees?? Do they hurt? Is it not smart for me to do if my knees tend to hurt or do you think it will strengthen them??
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    What about your knees?? Do they hurt? Is it not smart for me to do if my knees tend to hurt or do you think it will strengthen them??

JUST DO IT

there is nothing to fear but fear itself
    (I forget who)
  • star139
    star139 Posts: 134
    Options
    i LOVE spinning. I added it into my workouts because my knee was killing from running more than two days in a row. its true...only you know your resistance and you can make the class your own pace. your instructor should say that too...whatever feels good to you. after my first one, i was soo sore and thought i could never do it again. now im doing it at least three times a week and im obsessed. you feel great afterward! just try it! you're no worse off than if you never tried it at all :tongue:
  • turtle31
    turtle31 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    i love spin class, these are the days I can really eat what I like and don't feel as guilty
  • nikii14
    Options
    Does that mean I have to go out and buy those "SEXY" spandex outfits??:laugh:
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    I'm going to my fourth class tomorrow. You WON'T want to go back after the first, but it does get easier. I wouldn't be going back if it didn't. Lots of fun if you get a good instructor & it is challenging! Good luck!
  • Girlmom282109
    Options

It's not your knees it's your quads that will burn! It's a great burn and my instructor said you burn anywhere between 600 and 800 calories per hour.
  • tomyhealth
    tomyhealth Posts: 181
    Options
    I love the class. It is true that your butt will hurt the first few times but give it a chance and go at you own pace.

Good Luck:smile: