Mindblowing statistics (prediabetes)

Options
Prediabetes is a serious health condition that increases the risk of developing type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and stroke. Yet the vast majority of people with prediabetes do not know they have the condition, according to CDC research.
Just 7 percent of people with prediabetes are aware of their condition.
79 million Americans—35 percent of adults aged 20 years and older—have prediabetes.
Half of all Americans aged 65 years and older have prediabetes.
People with prediabetes have blood sugar levels that are higher than normal, but not high enough for a diagnosis of diabetes. They are at higher risk for developing type 2 diabetes and other serious health problems, including heart disease, and stroke. Without lifestyle changes to improve their health, 15 to 30 percent of people with prediabetes will develop type 2 diabetes within 5 years.

http://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/prevention/factsheet.htm

Replies

• jobie4153
    Options
    I wish I had read your information earlier in life. I am 61 and was diagnosed with type II diabetes in October, 2011. My understanding is that there is no cure...only keeping it under control. It was a real wake-up call and I immediately started taking control of my life. I have lost 26 pounds since then and joined the gym recently. I still have about 40 to 50 more pounds to go...and may reassess that number when I reach my goal. My dietician is thrilled with my progress so far. Thanks for getting the word out.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    I wish I had read your information earlier in life. I am 61 and was diagnosed with type II diabetes in October, 2011. My understanding is that there is no cure...only keeping it under control. It was a real wake-up call and I immediately started taking control of my life. I have lost 26 pounds since then and joined the gym recently. I still have about 40 to 50 more pounds to go...and may reassess that number when I reach my goal. My dietician is thrilled with my progress so far. Thanks for getting the word out.

I was a little shocked at how undiagnosed it is.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

Yep unfortunately their is no cure, once you have it, you have it for life... I was diagnosed Type 2 Diabetes in 2009 with A1c running @ 10.0.... I have dedicated the last 32 months to a new life and have been pre-diabetic now for the last 12 months with A1c averaging 5.4...... My Endo Dr. is overjoyed with my work on slowing this disease... I lost my sister to diabetes complication in 1993 and I vowed to not follow in her foot steps.....
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I haven't been diagnosed, everything was normal with my last test, but I know I am high risk and that is why I follow South Beach Living. It was originally developed to help prevent diabetes and heart disease, the weight loss was a bonus.

Ed--congrats on such a huge loss and improving your health!