What do you guys say?

Options
I don't consider my eating habits a "diet", rather as a healthy lifestyle.
Butt im sure you all have had similar experiences where someone looks at what youre eating and pulls the old "you eat like a bird" (No, i can actually limit myself to one serving unlike U! and I eat every couple hours, so im not famished and eat 2 hamburgers!), or "holy are you on a diet", or when you turn down unhealthy stuff at family dinners etc.
What do you guys say to those things? That arn't rude of course :smile: , but sometimes need to be firm to get them to stop it..

Replies

• Dasani
    Dasani Posts: 7
    Options
    Butt im sure you all have had similar experiences where someone looks at what youre eating and pulls the old "you eat like a bird" (No, i can actually limit myself to one serving unlike U! and I eat every couple hours, so im not famished and eat 2 hamburgers!), or "holy are you on a diet", or when you turn down unhealthy stuff at family dinners etc.
    What do you guys say to those things? That arn't rude of course :smile: , but sometimes need to be firm to get them to stop it..
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Well, I do have this happen, and yes, it is a pain....

Generally, I just look at theirs and look away and finish eating,

but sometimes, I say thanx, a bird eats all day!!

But then again, I have been known to have my days and blurt out what ever comes to mind, like, yeah, I hate to sit down and have a roll of fat pop up!!!

Because generally, it's fatties, too, that say those things!!!
  • strawberry25shortcake
    strawberry25shortcake Posts: 183 Member
    Options

That pisses me off!!! My sister in-law does it ALL the time. It's like...OK, maybe I don't eat three Taco Bell Tacos for lunch but make better choices instead. I don't usually say anything. It drives me CRAZY, but my husband usually ( when family members make those stupid comments) gives me a kiss and says "I love you" and "who cares what they say". That always makes me feel better. There is no point in arguing or saying anything because I feel that others are jealous we are capable of resisting to those brownies or super-duper greasy meals and they will get a kick out of our reaction. So, just say something like "I love the way I look and want to keep it that way" or "I don't want to get unhealthy" or "It works for me and my body". Oh...I totally know how you feel. I am already mad just thinking about my last family dinner...
  • strawberry25shortcake
    strawberry25shortcake Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Well, I do have this happen, and yes, it is a pain....

but sometimes, I say thanx, a bird eats all day!!

But then again, I have been known to have my days and blurt out what ever comes to mind, like, yeah, I hate to sit down and have a roll of fat pop up!!!

So true- insecure and jealous people are the ones making unnecessary comments. Seriously- if they were comfortable with their own bodies, why would they even notice your eating habits? It is because they can't resist the food and eat unhealthy that they say those things. :explode:
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options

i do that as well and the reactions are priceless:laugh:

i come from a family of BIG eaters. we're persian, eating is what we do (see my big fat greek wedding x10^5). my grandmother and aunt will actually be offended if i don't eat whatever they put in front of me, yet at the same time, they pinch my hips and stomach and make jokes about how college is treating my VERY well:grumble:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I don't say much...usually I just pick up the offender and squat him/her a couple times before returning to my meal.....

:devil:

Actually I usually just say I like to be in shape and I do what it takes to stay that way.
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    I usually say, "Actually, a bird eats at least half of it's weight in a day, so really, I'm eating more like a pig". It's an actual fact, and usually throws the person off balance and they walk away a little stunned and confused.
  • DawnInOhio
    DawnInOhio Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem, since I eat 3 mini meals and 3 snacks, the people I work with are like "no wonder you can't lose weight you're always eating" or like "eating again?? I thought you were on a diet?" It's like are you LOOKING at what I'm eating? While you scarfed down a happy meal for lunch, I've eaten a quarter of those calories and I've been 'eating all day' and I still have half my calories for when I get home! Of course I don't say that...I just keep munching on my snacks and smile! :smile:
  • InTheMoney
    InTheMoney Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    personally I hate the word "diet"
    Tell them you are working with a dietician and they are monitoring what you are eating so you have to eat right.
  • Dasani
    Dasani Posts: 7
    Options
    Haha I knew I wasn't the only one who gets angered by this!!
    Thanks for your replies, now I have some more come backs to add to my repertoire.

It really is the people that have their own insecurities about eating that make these comments to us.
    With my immediate family, I like to say "worry about what you eat, not what I eat" but its sometimes hard when other people make comments and you cant be so abrupt.

I think a positive thing to get out of these stupid comments is to realize that we, unlike them, are in control of our diets and ultimately our health! :drinker:
  • johnblake
    johnblake Posts: 661
    Options
    I say LOOK AT ME AND LOOK AT YOUR FAT A##.

after that they don't really have anything to say if they do say something I do the samething songbirdsweet does
  • gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    OMG!! I just died laughing at the response of picking them up and doing a squat!! It is great! I actuallly always brag about MFP etc so most people I eat with know what I am talking about and why I am eating the way I do.
  • xbonbonx
    xbonbonx Posts: 170
    Options
    I don't really have that problem yet. everyone I actually eat around knows I'm on a diet. but I do say diet cuz then I don't have to explain further and also because I hope to be able to eat relatively normal (not as much as I used to- but consume my exercise cals too) when I reach my goal weight. you say "I'm doing a lifestyle change" and you'll get funny, confused looks. but also another way I could put it is "I'm eating less." so that would probably work too.
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem, since I eat 3 mini meals and 3 snacks, the people I work with are like "no wonder you can't lose weight you're always eating" or like "eating again?? I thought you were on a diet?" It's like are you LOOKING at what I'm eating? While you scarfed down a happy meal for lunch, I've eaten a quarter of those calories and I've been 'eating all day' and I still have half my calories for when I get home! Of course I don't say that...I just keep munching on my snacks and smile! :smile:

This just happened to me the other night, I was with a bunch of women at a Bunco. I really hadn't eaten that much all day and had worked out a lot at the gym and so what if I had 2 tiny brownies? I was still well within my calories. This woman just stared at me eating (most of what i was eating was salad and fresh fruit, and then the 2 small brownies) like she couldn't believe I was eating. I'm like, sheesh, lady, it's not like I'm stuffing a bag of oreos in my mouth or a whole gallon of ice cream, it's freaking salad and fruit and a small brownie! She didn't say anything, she just stared at me. Really freaked me out.
  • flcaoh
    flcaoh Posts: 444
    Options

I swear, I get the most crap from other fatties LOL.
  • flcaoh
    flcaoh Posts: 444
    Options
    they pinch my hips and stomach and make jokes about how college is treating my VERY well:grumble:

Ugh... my gramma does the same thing. She ALWAYS mentions when I've gained weight and half the time she criticizes what I'm eating if she doesn't deem it 'healthy', but then the other half of the time she tries to shove cookies and cake and brownies down my throat. Talk about frustrating!!!
  • cquick
    cquick Posts: 220
    Options
    I usually say, "Actually, a bird eats at least half of it's weight in a day, so really, I'm eating more like a pig". It's an actual fact, and usually throws the person off balance and they walk away a little stunned and confused.

bless you, you little piglet...i'm using that one for now on...:laugh:
  • cquick
    cquick Posts: 220
    Options

i'm sorry, but i would flat out flip them off and tell them to go be anorexic somewhere else....:angry:

you're a saint, i would be so biligerent with them....or i'd drop kick them, whichever came first...