What do you do when at a work party/any other party?

Options
I work in an office and we have 'birthday lunches' bi-monthly. Basically it's like a potluck...so I'm just wanting to get an idea of what others do when you have no way to calculate calories for the day.

Do you just not bother and chalk it up to a 'cheat day'? I don't give myself a 'cheat' day really, I just try to eat healthy everyday...and if I have candy or cake or something I just count it in my meal plan like normal and try to stay at my calorie goal. If it's only 6 times/yr I may as well not worry about it (I want to stress that I'm not being obsessed with my food and if I have a day where I go over, I'm not going to lose any sleep! Just curious =D) but what do you guys do at other get togethers where finger foods/snacks are involved? Like holiday parties, other girlfriend oriented things like (Pampered Chef/31/Premier jewelry/etc...), or just get togethers at friends homes? Not worrry about it or do you have an 'average' amount of calories you add for a meal like that that seems to even out over time?

Replies

• Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I find that if I keep having a little bit here and a little bit there, a birthday, a cheat day, a convenience meal, before I know it I'm unhappy with my appearance/maintenance.
    So I would be really, really picky if it's a constant thing.
    There are usually some good choices to be made at a potluck....Even if you only eat the thing you bought? chicken legs or something?
    At jewellery parties just have coffee. and get busy with the jewellery.
    I took some devilled eggs to a get together recently for sharing so I wouldn't feel the need to eat something I didn't want to.
    Sometimes I make a salmon dip for the same reason.
    I worked with a girl who had severe allergies to almost everything, including wheat, eggs nuts and dairy poor love. She would even come out to dinners and just sit at he table and have a drink and chat. ( she also had the best figure at our workplace - lol)
    stay strong!
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i do my best to guess and log using the database.
  • uk_james
    uk_james Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean! I sometimes have to have work related lunches, usually buffet type things as part of conferences or social introduction / mingling events. Got one today, so instead of taking lunch with me, I'll have to show willing and do the social thing and have a pre-workshop nibble with other people.

I'll just watch what I eat, have things in moderation and go for the low fat, low calorie options. Then do best guess at logging them later!
  • DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    Options
    I usually cook/bake something healthy and eating it at any party so I won't need to feel guilty and this way I avoid bad junk or full of sugar foods. Check my site for cooking/baking ideas.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cooking-ideasHomemade-Healthy-Foods/179121125503371
  • jchester71
    jchester71 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about it. I try to control my portions, i don't "try" everything, and I don't make my diet into a burden for other people. I take what I ate into account the rest of the day and act accordingly.
  • supershiny
    supershiny Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    At my work parties (they happen about every week, I just stick to the veggie plate and a nice beer.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    i do my best to guess and log using the database.

Yup, I do the same thing.

If I need to "bring a plate" (which is the Aussie term for a potluck and means that you bring a plate or dish filled with food!), then I make sure that it is something healthy and filling which other people will enjoy - rice salad, roasted pumpkin salad, zucchini slice, chicken drumsticks for example. Then I know that I have one dish which I can count on and I just pick a little bit of other things,and concentrate on the healthier options or the things I really like and don't often have.

If it is a conference lunch or cocktail party then I try to be choosy and not eat everything that goes by, but try to keep track (for example, how many sandwich quarters or sushi rolls etc) and log an estimate later.

If there is alcohol involved I will usually have one glass of wine and make it last a while. After that one drink, I'll look for a water or soda water so I have a drink in my hand and other people don't feel the need to press a drink on me.

If it is a birthday party - well, I'll have my cake and eat it too, because I don't have that every day! Just a small slice if I can.
  • RosieWest8
    RosieWest8 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Thanks. =D Thankfully there are some healthy eaters/cooks in my office so they usually pull through for me when I'm not responsible for bringing anything in. I do have to say that my weakness is sweets so it was hard through the holidays!