protein?

Options
What do you guys think about taking protein in the form of shakes/bars? I know that i don't really consume at all enough protein as i should, but i always really thought that protein shakes were for bodybuilders and such people trying to build up their muscle as opposed to trying to lose weight? I'm a bit thick on this subject if i'm honest, and i'm not sure whether to try some form of protein shake or not.

Replies

• mrwoeste03
    Options
    Hi! Well i am 6foot and i weigh about 125 and im trying to put on about 10 pounds, and i started drinking protein shakes. They taste awful to be honest with you. But it seems like its working. But then again, i'm trying to gain weight. So im not sure how well they would work for losing weight.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    What do you guys think about taking protein in the form of shakes/bars? I know that i don't really consume at all enough protein as i should, but i always really thought that protein shakes were for bodybuilders and such people trying to build up their muscle as opposed to trying to lose weight? I'm a bit thick on this subject if i'm honest, and i'm not sure whether to try some form of protein shake or not.

If you cannot get enough protein in through whole foods, there's nothing wrong with supplementing your intake with bars/shakes, keep in mind that they are usually less satiating then whole foods
  • CoralBreeze
    Options
    I've read on various different things on the internet that apparently drinking whey protein (?) can actually help you lose weight, and i'm not entirely sure how much truth this holds. I don't want to spend a fortune on some protein just to find out i don't really need it.
  • danascot
    danascot Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I think these supplements are fine if you are lacking protein, although whole foods are best. But, there's the convenience of powders and bars. I would recommend trying Tera's Whey protein powder - the bourbon vanilla is really good with milk. I also like the Kashi Go lean rolls.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I just started using protein powder. I'm using it because I can never meet my protein goal... ever. Not without going over in carbs or fat. So, for me it was the perfect addition. Also, I've just started strength training and it's good to boost protein for muscle repair.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Check the label on your intended shakes.
    Locally the shelf where they sell "protein shakes" would be more truthfully marketed as meal replacement shakes as they have more carbs than they do protein.
    I buy my own protein powder either whey or hemp and mix it in my foods... morning shakes... yogurt... oatmeal... mashed potatoes.... whatever they will hide in.. spaghetti sauce....even pasta itself if you're making it fresh at home ;)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I don't drink protein shakes. But I do try to get protein with every meal. Are you adding protein to stay full or to build muscle? If it's to stay full .....adding fats and fiber also help you stay full longer.

Breakfast protein: eggs, egg whites, greek yogurt, low fat meats, whole grain cereals or breads. Kashi brand cereals have added soy protein - but taste yummy!

Snacks protein - cottage cheese, string cheese, nuts, nut butters, greek yogurt
  • CoralBreeze
    Options
    I think these supplements are fine if you are lacking protein, although whole foods are best. But, there's the convenience of powders and bars. I would recommend trying Tera's Whey protein powder - the bourbon vanilla is really good with milk. I also like the Kashi Go lean rolls.

I'm not sure if we can get these kind of things in the UK. I've been looking in the shops and online at different kinds of protein and there just seems to be soooo many. I don't want anything to build muscle, just really to stay fuller for longer/help me lose some weight. I don't at all eat enough in my diet as it is and feel i should somehow get some more in my diet.
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I personally use protein shakes/bars everyday.....It has helped me get passed a plateau. I limit my carbs to potatoes, brown rice and fruit, and eat higher amounts of protein. It definately wont hurt you!
  • ablykins
    ablykins Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I drink protein meal replacements every day and have for the past 3 years. I've lost 60 pounds using them and continue to use them as I prepare for figure competition. This is the brand I use: http://www.lean4life.awarenesslife.com/
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    i use chocolate whey protein and make smoothie, chocolate powder, half banana, and a cup of skim milk every morning with my english muffin, helps fill me up and get me that extra protein. Unless you are taking in high amounts right after your work outs it won't make you bulk up but rather help your muscles heal faster.
  • o0sunshine0o
    Options
    I use protein shakes because as a mostly-vegetarian, I never get enough protein. It doesn't stop my weight loss. I actually try to add a lil powder to almost everything I eat and it's reaaaallly helped with my losses. I'm on a low carb, high protein diet. :)
  • kcphilly
    Options
    I usually have a protein drink for breakfast. I'm a picky eater so there's not a whole lot of protein foods for me, especially while at work.

But as someone mentioned before, make sure you check the label first. A good whey protein powder will have about 18-23g of protein per serving and 5 or less grams of carbs and sugar.
  • CoralBreeze
    Options
    I'll have another look in the health shop next door to my work tomorrow and see what i can find. They just all seem really rather expensive. Does anyone here live in the UK and can recommend a brand, or know of any that could get imported in pretty cheaply? as far as i can see things in America seem to be cheaper than they are here (boohoo)
  • jenlb99
    jenlb99 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I use protein powder all the time; I'm in the process of losing fat (I'm guessing 30ish lbs of it), but I'm REALLY not wanting to lose the muscle I've already built -- I don't want to go from chunky and fit to skinnyfat!

I aim for over 100g of protein per day and am unable to eat enough through whole foods.
  • fabulousby45
    Options
    bump....
  • CoralBreeze
    Options
    bump....

?
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    bump = Bring Up My Post
    tags it under "my topics" so you can find it later when you have time to read the responses etc.
  • CoralBreeze
    Options
    bump = Bring Up My Post
    tags it under "my topics" so you can find it later when you have time to read the responses etc.

i didn't know about this, i'm new to MFP :) thank you
  • jsbgraphics
    Options

Losing fat is one thing, but you want to avoid losing muscle mass and if you are not getting enough calories as well as not enough protein, you can.