Chomping at the bit

Options
So... I like sports. I like aerobics. I like being active... but as I've gained weight more and more over the years, for various reasons (car accidents, emotional eating, downright laziness), I've gotten less and less inspired to be active... why? Because who wants to see my fat self sweating up a storm, when they're at the gym to show off, or look hot or whatever.

At least, this is what I have told myself. What it really boils down to is fear. I am afraid to do the activities, afraid to look like a moron, afraid of the looks, and of the comments. Afraid of just .... sucking at it in every way. So I've let myself get more and more sedentery, and I've inwardly despaired about it.

I joined Curves recently. I love. Like LOVE. it. And on my non-Curves days I'm starting to look for ways to knock those calories off... I look for ways to do things a bit differently, a bit better. Today, for example, I'm going to get off my bus 5 stops early so that I can do the uphill walk to get to where hubby picks me up. It's a small little thing, but I want to do it...

I've NEVER embraced being active like this. Even when I was super involved with sports, I approached it with difficulty. Now, I'm just stoked.

Has anyone else had such a turnaround?

Replies

• polarsjewel
    polarsjewel Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: Pass some of that over on this way!
  • breeanreyes
    breeanreyes Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I have! Today my dance class got cancelled so I called my hubby to bring me gym clothes so I don't have to go home first! It's weird how all of a sudden a switch just went off :) I've had this happen before, and it doesn't last forever but it helps create thehealthy habits so when it goes away you're still left with a healthier lifestyle that is easier to maintain
  • TheAncientMariner
    TheAncientMariner Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I wrote a blog post related to this a month or so ago, check it out:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/TheAncientMariner/view/fat-flapping-flippantly-in-the-fierce-wind-184322

I was the same way until that light kicked in and I realized that I was passing everyone who I "perceived" as watching me by!
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    That is a super NSV!!! Congratulations!
  • CanuckTracy
    CanuckTracy Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    So... I like sports. I like aerobics. I like being active... but as I've gained weight more and more over the years, for various reasons (car accidents, emotional eating, downright laziness), I've gotten less and less inspired to be active... why? Because who wants to see my fat self sweating up a storm, when they're at the gym to show off, or look hot or whatever.

At least, this is what I have told myself. What it really boils down to is fear. I am afraid to do the activities, afraid to look like a moron, afraid of the looks, and of the comments. Afraid of just .... sucking at it in every way. So I've let myself get more and more sedentery, and I've inwardly despaired about it.

I joined Curves recently. I love. Like LOVE. it. And on my non-Curves days I'm starting to look for ways to knock those calories off... I look for ways to do things a bit differently, a bit better. Today, for example, I'm going to get off my bus 5 stops early so that I can do the uphill walk to get to where hubby picks me up. It's a small little thing, but I want to do it...
    I've NEVER embraced being active like this. Even when I was super involved with sports, I approached it with difficulty. Now, I'm just stoked.

Has anyone else had such a turnaround?
    Way to go!! you are so inspirational.... I feel the same way about my Zumba--absolutely LOVE it and now want to do even more on my off days..keep up the fantastic work girl!!
  • ahjenny
    ahjenny Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic! I had that turn around happen in the last two months. Keep up the good work!
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Yep! My favorite part of my day is going to the gym! I feel fantastic after!