Bump
  • Chanels_mom
    Chanels_mom Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I love tofu. As someone else mentioned try it stir fryed, its yummy.:smile:
  • Flissbo
    Flissbo Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    You wouldn't eat raw chicken fresh out of the package, so you gotta look at tofu the same way.

I've had my best success with tofu if I press the moisture out, freeze it, thaw it and marinate it, usually in soy sauce, ginger and lime juice. Then I slice it up and stir fry it with lots of veggies! The freezing gives it a great chewy, toothsome texture.

If you're not into that, it's also tasty if you cut it up, bread the pieces, and bake them as nuggets!

^^^^this - It's not very nice unless you squidge out the water, freeze it, defrost it and then squidge out some more!
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who thinks tofu is basically like eating a hard boiled egg white?
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of the spongey stuff - and check the label because I think it's often deep fried to get that texture.

I like the firm tofu best - cut it into cubes or rectangles and marinate it then pan fry or oven bake it and use it with salads or other dishes like you would grilled chicken.
    I've used the soft tofu a few times in smoothies and I used to have a great baked artichoke dip made with soft tofu - yum!

If you want to try it out, then look for some recipes that sound good and experiment.
    If you just don't like it - then eat something else, there is no tofu police forcing you to eat it!

To Robo - yes, the soft kind is pretty much like egg white, with not much taste. Mostly harmless, I think!
  • unsuspectingfish
    Options
    i dont understand why anyone eats the stuff gross!!!!! not to mention its actually not all that good for you its basically a filler if genetically processed crap

Um, I don't know what tofu you're eating, but mine is soy beans, water, and calcium. It's also made of non-GMO soy beans. Some of us eat it because we need the protein and calcium (because we don't eat meat or dairy).

You wouldn't eat raw chicken fresh out of the package, so you gotta look at tofu the same way.

Except for the fact that tofu isn't raw and therefore won't kill you if eaten without being cooked.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    It is so gross to me and I am a vegetarian. I wish I could help you.. I even went to a noodle restaurant where it was made in a delicious pasta and I had to pick it out! lmso. P.S. No to the egg white because I love egg whites and it is not the same to me.
  • Sianarella
    Options
    I love tofu and there's loads you can do with it. I currently put a square in with my smoothies, but you can stir fry, roast, bake and more - it can even be scrambled!
  • VinVenture
    Options
    Mind you, I'm not a vegetarian or vegan, and I care surprisingly little about the treatment my food receives. Still, I love tofu.

The main thing people do wrong with tofu is use it to replace meat. On its own, it's brilliant in soups and stews and you can blend it with fruit for quite tasty, high-nutrient foodthings. Protein levels are fairly high, if you're willing spend more than ten minutes on your food you can make it absolutely delicious and awesome. Deepfried, stir-fried, sautéd or baked it makes a great addition to simple foods such as salads and pastas.

I personally don't understand omnivores' problems with tofu, especially the kind that instruct others to re-view their dietary beliefs due to their own sensory issues.

Sadly, I don't have any recipes to share. Tofu's surprisingly hard to come by here.
  • jenny66
    Options
    Not gross...can do lots with it. I have it a few times a week

1. I had it for dinner about ten minutes ago, stir fried with chilli garlic coriander spring onions soy and sesame oil. yummy!

2. Also my vegan lover made for me mushrooms filled with mashed pumkin and soft tofu belnded together with cummin and nutmeg. it was quite a revelation!
  • PeaceLoveVeggies
    PeaceLoveVeggies Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Tofu is awesome! the easiest thing to make is scrambled tofu.--tumeric and tofu in a skillet. boom. tastes/looks like eggs. add some nutritional yeast and seasonings (such as salt & pepper & sriracha)

=)

why not just eat eggs????

Some people are Vegan :)
  • rinea141
    rinea141 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Its not that bad. Before you cook it be sure to press it well. The more water you get out the more flavor it will pick up. Baking it crispy with seasonings is a good way to start trying it.
  • rinea141
    rinea141 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    love scrambled tofu! tofu is ment to be scrambled!
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Except for the fact that tofu isn't raw and therefore won't kill you if eaten without being cooked.

I meant more that it's pretty bland when eaten straight-up with no prep or seasonings.
    why not just eat eggs????

Because there's more to life than animal products?
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I love tofu. I usually fry it up with some garlic and onions, plus spices and put it over rice or quinoa with some tomatoes, spinach and peppers. I add a little bit of cheese because I love cheese. It gives me the protein I need, plus I just love the flavor it has. To each their own I say.
  • unsuspectingfish
    Options
    Mind you, I'm not a vegetarian or vegan, and I care surprisingly little about the treatment my food receives. Still, I love tofu.

The main thing people do wrong with tofu is use it to replace meat. On its own, it's brilliant in soups and stews and you can blend it with fruit for quite tasty, high-nutrient foodthings. Protein levels are fairly high, if you're willing spend more than ten minutes on your food you can make it absolutely delicious and awesome. Deepfried, stir-fried, sautéd or baked it makes a great addition to simple foods such as salads and pastas.

I personally don't understand omnivores' problems with tofu, especially the kind that instruct others to re-view their dietary beliefs due to their own sensory issues.

THIS.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Tofu is the most loathsome substance ever created by man.
    And it makes people crazy.
    Everybody I see eating it is crazy.

Throw it out now before it's too late.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    replace the meat in your chili recipe with cubed firm tofu

also, i'm surprised more people don't google when they are looking for recipes... there are thousands of recipes for every food type imaginable if you just take a minute to look for them :smile:
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    ~ Miso Soup ~ .. Yummy ! :)
  • SeekingKarma
    SeekingKarma Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    i hate it, period.