eating healthy on a budget

Options
wreath7
wreath7 Posts: 104 Member
Hello, I'm trying to eat a lot of fruits and vegetables... but they cost a lot, especially since they spoil pretty easily. Does anyone else have this problem and how do you deal with it--how do you get the most bang for your buck, so to speak, that way?

Replies

• kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Options
    I grow most of my own fruits and vegetables. I also supplement with a CSA, which I find to be healthier and more economical than what you can get in traditional supermarkets. Does your town/city have a farmer's market?
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I had the same concern at first, but it doesn't matter and here's why...

You're gonna eat less. Which means even though the food costs more, you still spend less.

Besides, remind yourself that the money spent now will be repaid in full later when you save on hospital and medicine bills. :drinker:
  • beccala18
    beccala18 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Buy frozen vegetables - same nutrition, but usually costs less than fresh and won't spoil. You can also buy fresh fruits and vegetables on sale and freeze them. Or make something (like applesauce with apples) and freeze it. Buy whatever vegetables are on sale and then find ways to cook them. It'll get you from forming food ruts and also keep costs down.
  • kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Options
    Freezing vegetables is a good option, better than eating canned vegetables. But it is absolutely not the "same nutrition" as eating fresh vegetables and fruits. Some of the vitamins are lost.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    The steamed veggies are great/quick/cheap. Look for sales.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I always look at my grocery store's weekly flier for what's on sale. I also focus on seasonal veggies.

Right now, I buy a lot of root vegetables (carrots, beets, turnip, sweet potatoes and potatoes). I will get my steamer going, and prep all those veggies for a quick reheating later. I also buy whatever greens are on sale, and eat those raw in salads, or braised. I also roast vegetables in the oven when I am using it for another purpose. Roasted onions, mushrooms and bell peppers can really add to pasta or in a sandwich.

I also think beans and lentils are super healthy and cheap--especially dried, but canned can be good too, if sodium and BPA in the can linings isn't a concern. Also, cooking up a big pot of something like brown rice, quinoa, etc. to keep in the fridge can help.

Simple preparation of basic foods can be fairly quick and inexpensive. With a simple sauce, or not, they can make nice healthy meals by themselves.
  • wreath7
    Options
    awesome, thanks
  • wreath7
    Options
    i forgot about the CSA! good idea
  • chaitrex
    chaitrex Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Two words: Sale and frozen.
    It seems like every time I go to Whole Foods, they have some fancy leafy green, usually organic, on sale for two dollars. So, I buy that and that's my green of choice for the next few days. I discovered kale this way, and now I'm hooked. It's so dense that one bunch made a massive salad I munched on for 3 days, and the rest went into a soup. Also, crazy new ingredients makes you a better, healtheir cook :)