Am I fine without the videos?

Options
I have several Jillian Michaels videos and was under the mind set that Jillian Michaels was the end all be all of getting fit. That was until I discovered my love of running :love:. I noticed I was getting bored with the videos and actually dreaded my workouts. My question is, in combination with 3-4 days a week of strength training (just free weights at home) and abs, is running 6 days a week enough? I run about 5 miles a day right now, hoping to build up to longer.

Sooo....do I need the videos?

Replies

• PirateJohn
    Options
    Go ask a few Olympic gold medalists how often they use DVD fitness videos.

(Hint: They don't)
  • lml1042
    lml1042 Posts: 121
    Options
    Go ask a few Olympic gold medalists how often they use DVD fitness videos.

(Hint: They don't)

lol, that's so true! Never thought of it that way. I think there are just so many videos on the market and every other post on this forum is about Jillian, so I got it stuck in my head that she is it when it comes to fitness.
  • 5050jnernst
    Options
    It is very important vary your workouts. This is to help prevent injury, to alleviate boredom, and to keep the body from getting use to one form of exercise. Strength training is also key. If you just run and do nothing else you are setting yourself up for injury down the road. I do not know if you belong to a gym, but your might want to consider that if you do not. Belonging to a gym will provide other machines for you to use, and also could get started on strength training.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I look to soldiers first and foremost for "fitness" these guys have very "basic" workouts that... first and foremost user their OWN body for resistance etc... pushups, running, obstacles...
    the only "problem" with these body-weight style exercises? You lose your excuse of no chance to make it to the gym or not enough videos etc... they use their body because it's the "one thing" they are guaranteed to always have available to them for a workout, wherever they are.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Some people can't or don''t like to run, so for them (and for me) the videos are a good change of pace and a good exercise routine to follow.
  • PirateJohn
    Options
    lol, that's so true! Never thought of it that way. I think there are just so many videos on the market and every other post on this forum is about Jillian, so I got it stuck in my head that she is it when it comes to fitness.
    Don't get me wrong, I've always said that the single best workout is the one you like to do so much that you'll do it as often as possible. There's absolutely nothing wrong with any of them, so if you enjoy them and running too, then you can certainly do both.
  • kdickey31
    Options
    From my experience running is way better than any videos!! It is probably one of the best core workouts you can get if you are using good form!! Way to go for the 5 miles!!! it is also a great way to build lean muscle since a machine isn't helping you! I think you are doing everything perfectly. When I was really fit in high school I used to fun 5 miles a day and do strength training once a week, it kept me in shape and relieved a lot of stress.
  • PirateJohn
    Options
    It is very important vary your workouts. This is to help prevent injury, to alleviate boredom, and to keep the body from getting use to one form of exercise. Strength training is also key. If you just run and do nothing else you are setting yourself up for injury down the road. I do not know if you belong to a gym, but your might want to consider that if you do not. Belonging to a gym will provide other machines for you to use, and also could get started on strength training.
    Yes and no. For calorie burning, varying your routine (aka cross training) is a good idea, but if you love running enough that you want to train for a marathon or something like it, then letting your body become used to running a lot might not burn as many calories, but it's still a good thing.
  • MaryDreamer
    Options
    You're def fine without any videos or DVD. Sometimes I just use a printed out workout from online or a book. I prefer the DVD's though.
  • lml1042
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I love running! 2.5 months ago I couldn't run a minute without being out of breath, now I'm running 45min-60 min everyday and loving it. I don't mind doing the videos, but I love just throwing on my sneakers and either hopping on my treadmill or going out and clearing my mind during my run. It relaxes me and I truly get that "runners high".
  • cgraylyon
    cgraylyon Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    34 lbs. lost? I think you know what's right for your body! Awesome!!!!!
  • lml1042
    Options
    Lol, it's actually 34lbs TO GO but I have lost 22lbs since thanksgiving :-) thank you!