frustrated!

Options
I was wanting to loose 8lbs befor may 5th when I go on holidays. It was recommended that I consume 1200 calories a day plus 45 min exercise. My problem is that the only way I can stay within my alloted calories would be if I was to eat one meal a day, some calories would come from coffee,milk,j vegetable juice during the day. As soon as I eat during the day I get hungry and cranky because it really doesn't take much to hit 1200 calories , then I over eat and hit the junk. I'm am having a really hard time eating such small meals. It's alot easier for me to follow one meal a day, and I don't get cravings or cranky, and I actually eat healthier food this way. Does it really matter if you eat one meal or six. I feel alot healthier and happier on one meal. Is there any medical proff that one meal is dangerous long term.

Replies

• tttrrr
    tttrrr Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I was wanting to loose 8lbs befor may 5th when I go on holidays. It was recommended that I consume 1200 calories a day plus 45 min exercise. My problem is that the only way I can stay within my alloted calories would be if I was to eat one meal a day, some calories would come from coffee,milk,j vegetable juice during the day. As soon as I eat during the day I get hungry and cranky because it really doesn't take much to hit 1200 calories , then I over eat and hit the junk. I'm am having a really hard time eating such small meals. It's alot easier for me to follow one meal a day, and I don't get cravings or cranky, and I actually eat healthier food this way. Does it really matter if you eat one meal or six. I feel alot healthier and happier on one meal. Is there any medical proff that one meal is dangerous long term.
  • mommachag
    mommachag Posts: 318
    Options
    i think it does matter. your matabolism needs consistency to run properly. perhaps looking at your choices of foods may help. portions and low calories filling foods help. combining lean protein and good carbs will help too. so will fiber

http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/4463.html
    plus i dont think you can get all the tings you need daily in one meal a day
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I'm a little confused.....you want to eat just one meal the entire day and eat nothing else??
  • mmackie
    mmackie Posts: 93
    Options
    I don't think eating one 1200 calorie meal a day is ideal. If you are doing that, I assume that you aren't eating very nutrient rich foods. Have you tried chewing gum to curb the in-between cravings? That helps me. Also, make sure that you are eating lean proteins and lots of fiber. I have a hard time staying under 1200 calories a day, but I find that if I eat a bigger lunch, I can usually get through the day.

Good Luck!
  • tttrrr
    Options
    I find it easier to yes only eat one meal at supper. During the day get calories from coffee, milk or vegetable juices. My one meal consists of lots of vegetables, meat and either a potato, rice or small pasta. This is much easier for me to stay in controll then eating 5-6 small meals.
  • tree43605
    Options
    Hey I understand your frustration. I too have to eat 1200 cals a day because of medical reason. But it is possible!! I eat 3 meals and 2 snacks. Portion control, lots of veggies and fruit, experiment with new things, tofu in smoothies so you stay full longer and can't taste it. I do weight watchers, (my own way low GI and 20 points equal 1200 cals). If you need any advice or anything that's what we are all here for. I understand your frustration...but it is possible!!! And your not alone!!!
  • tttrrr
    Options
    I should mention I have beem trying to eat small healthy meals for a long time. I just can not seem to stay in control that way. I could very easily consume 4200 calories in a day and not feel full. That might be why I feel more satisfied with one large meal then 5 small meals.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Have you considered just eating more calories throughout the day so you're not starving? You shouldn't feel like you're uncomfortably hungry all day.
  • tttrrr
    Options
    When I eat one meal I am never hungry and I never have cravings I am also very happy and relaxed tones of energy. When I eat more small meals I am always hungry, whicked cravings, cranky and tired. The exact opposite of whats expected. My doctor said it doesn't really matter when I eat. But alot of people seem to be so against one meal a day.
  • xbonbonx
    xbonbonx Posts: 170
    Options
    my opinion is do whatever works for you as long as you don't end up feeling faint or sluggish. and if your doctor says it's okay, then it should be okay.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    When I eat one meal I am never hungry and I never have cravings I am also very happy and relaxed tones of energy. When I eat more small meals I am always hungry, whicked cravings, cranky and tired. The exact opposite of whats expected. My doctor said it doesn't really matter when I eat. But alot of people seem to be so against one meal a day.

I did a lot of research on Intermittent Fasting back in the day. You wouldn't really be fasting if you're taking in calories during the day, but it's a similar concept. Most calories are taken in as two big meals around the workout. It doesn't really do much except leave your blood sugar low for the remainder of the day. If you feel better, it's not a big deal. But I'd still look into eating more. 1200 calories isn't a magic number for fat loss, and can be too low for many people.
  • Petunia_K
    Petunia_K Posts: 35
    Options
    Each person is so different. Generally its shown that smaller meals keep your metabolism and blood sugar steady,but it sounds like that doesn't work well for you. I don't see why you shouldn't eat that way if it works, as long as you are eating a balanced diet and don't end up pigging out at some point in the day because your blood sugar has crashed or you're just plain starving, and as long as you're keeping your energy up. Especially if your doctor gave you the green light and you're losing the weight you want. :flowerforyou: