54 Weeks, 187 lbs down, Half the Man I use to be at least we

Options
jhardenbergh
jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
So My wife and I began our trip down healthy lane on January 13th, 2011. We chose to forego Gastric Bypass after researching it and began a diet and nutrition plan with a local hospital. I lost 120-130 lbs in the first 6 or 7 months and since then have begun working with a personal trainer who has been very helpful in putting together a weight lifting/cardio program to shrink my loose skin. The weight is still coming off, and I still have a couple lbs to lose before I want to put on 10 lbs of lean muscle.

awesomeme-1-1.jpg

I use to walk 2 miles in about 40 minutes and now I can do two miles in under 20 minutes, I can run for an hour at a time. I love to run but now I am more focused on the muscle building side so limit my cardio to one full hour a week, but I do mix in short cardio sessions with my weight training for warm up and cool downs.

My wife and I have one goal left and that is to have a child, still a work in progress. Outside of having our life and health back we have had some interviews with a national magazine, our weightloss center did a promotional video with us, and on Thursday we are getting interviewed by the local NBC affiliate. We are super excited. We have met a lot of great inspiring people on here and MFP has become an integral tool in not only losing the weight, but helping us truely realize the contents of what we put into our body. My day before losing this weight was really three or four days worth of food, it's pretty eye opening.

Replies

• ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    amazing!!!!!
    no others word for it... you've done fabulous!
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    WOW!!! Incredible!! I can only imagine how amazing you both must feel!
  • Brandie1029
    Brandie1029 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Absolutely phenomenal!
  • cgraylyon
    cgraylyon Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Please post if you are on TV. I will have some of my family and friends watch. You and your wife are truely an inspiration!
  • Neize
    Neize Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    amazing!!!!!
    no others word for it... you've done fabulous!

^this... Congratulations!
  • jhardenbergh
    Options
    we should find out on Thursday when it's gonna air. we live in Mass near the RI border, it is NBC in Rhode Island. I would post the video that the weight loss did, but don't know how to paste it into a message
  • jhardenbergh
    Options
    I wish the pic was smaller, I tried resizing it, but basically the other pic is my profile pic
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    So inspiring!! Thanks for sharing!!!
  • hellotina
    hellotina Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    seriously amazing. & i love that you two did it together!! good luck with the future & having a child! :) such an inspiration!!
  • MamaMel71
    Options
    I am truly inspired by your story. I have recently been finding success myself after dealing with yo yo dieting and diabetes medications that put weight on me instead of helping me to get it off. I have now just been diagnosed with a thyroid problem too(under-active I believe) and am going for new medication next week. so am hoping that will also help me regulate and move things along. My sister was diagnosed last year with the same issue and put on medication and for the last 5 months has been able to lose 30 pounds when she never could before no matter what she tried.

It is a tough decision to finally decide to work your butt off when you are used to being sedentary but it is so worth it in the long run. My goal is too see if I can get rid of this diabetes once and for all when this 60 pounds I am going for is gone. Tell your wife all the best as well and to keep it going. I would love to hear more of her story as well.

I am glad I found this place as I need all the help and support I can get like most everyone on here does too. I love all the tools and stuff we can use on here. Here's to a healthier life!
  • jhardenbergh
    Options
    I am truly inspired by your story. I have recently been finding success myself after dealing with yo yo dieting and diabetes medications that put weight on me instead of helping me to get it off. I have now just been diagnosed with a thyroid problem too(under-active I believe) and am going for new medication next week. so am hoping that will also help me regulate and move things along. My sister was diagnosed last year with the same issue and put on medication and for the last 5 months has been able to lose 30 pounds when she never could before no matter what she tried.

It is a tough decision to finally decide to work your butt off when you are used to being sedentary but it is so worth it in the long run. My goal is too see if I can get rid of this diabetes once and for all when this 60 pounds I am going for is gone. Tell your wife all the best as well and to keep it going. I would love to hear more of her story as well.

I am glad I found this place as I need all the help and support I can get like most everyone on here does too. I love all the tools and stuff we can use on here. Here's to a healthier life!

I was a diabetic and didn't know it when I started, I had a fasting glucose level of 243 and an A1C of 10.0 and now my glucose level is 80 and A1C is 5.0. You can do it, just stick to your plan and don't give up. It's amazing what a little diet and exercise can do for you. What helped me is I made exercise a second job, but eased into, starting with only 15 minutes a day 3 days a week. I also change it up from time to time, so I don't get bored with it. I did the wii fit, once I got under the weight limit for it, I walked, I tried different machines at the gym.
  • j77r68
    j77r68 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    congratulations to the both of you, you must be so proud of each other. What kind of exercises are you doing to tighten up your skin? I have less than 100 lbs to lose but I have a feeling I will have some leftovers that will not look pretty whatsoever
  • jhardenbergh
    Options
    congratulations to the both of you, you must be so proud of each other. What kind of exercises are you doing to tighten up your skin? I have less than 100 lbs to lose but I have a feeling I will have some leftovers that will not look pretty whatsoever

Most of my loose skin is around my midsection, I have a little on my arms right next to my armpits, a little in my upper thigh. For the tummy area, I do a lot of core type exercises, crunches, crunches with medicine balls, leg lifts, bosu ball exercises (those half balls with platforms. burpees with bosu ball, rotational exercises with medicine ball, I do have a book Men's Health Big Book of Exercises which gives you different exercises you can do with varying difficulties as well. My trainer is planning on doing exercise videos and posting them on line as well. He wants me to do them with him. Sort of like a tutorial. The book is good, but making sure you have the right form in lifting is very important there is only so much a book can portray.
  • ahjenny
    ahjenny Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    That is fantastic! You look good, and completely different. And good luck in the baby department. :)
  • Beatlegirl66
    Beatlegirl66 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Words can't say how proud I am of the two of you. You have inspired me totally. I decided to get with it and lose weight because if my friends, who are just normal people that I know in real life, can lose all of that weight, then why can't I? I am now excited at the chance to be an "aunt" in the near future as well. You and G-funk will be great parents!
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to both you and your wife. Your story is inspirational. I had to do a double take: I was shocked that you lost so much weight in one year! Fantastic!

I have 80-100 lbs left (lost 30) and your story really helps motivate me. Thank you!
  • Emilia6909
    Emilia6909 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Congratulations !!!!!! You look amazing.
  • Jzslim
    Jzslim Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Incredible,good for you both.the 65 lbs i have to go seem a lot less daunting.
  • femme62209
    femme62209 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    WELL DONE!!!!! You are such an inspiration :) Congratulations on all of your success :):) ) Thanks so much for sharing!
  • rainman3k
    rainman3k Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Jay, you are an inspiration to many and I am one who would not be where I am today without having met you via this site!

Thanks my friend and keep up the awesome job!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!