I am trying

Options
Getting frustrated by the constant "Are you dieting and exercising enough?" questions I get from friends.

They are nagging me quite a bit, I did okay, lost a kilo in a week, which for me is progress. And my food intake is right down and exercise is up.

Jut need time to keep.

Thing that bugs me is that I am in Asia, meaning I am surrounded by the thinnest people on the planet, who seem to think they have a right to state "You're fat" anytime they feel like even to complete strangers...

I'm not fat, I am a little on the heavy side of healthy. And I am working on it... I just want to reach out and wring their necks at points because they really can be very insensitive.

Also, what's with the binge eating? I mean, I did fine for two weeks, then I had a day where I was so hungry I couldn't stop eating. Naturally hating myself for every bite... Anyway to control that? I mean what's the secret to avoiding days like that?

Replies

• Arvg
    Arvg Posts: 3
    Options
    Getting frustrated by the constant "Are you dieting and exercising enough?" questions I get from friends.

They are nagging me quite a bit, I did okay, lost a kilo in a week, which for me is progress. And my food intake is right down and exercise is up.

Jut need time to keep.

Thing that bugs me is that I am in Asia, meaning I am surrounded by the thinnest people on the planet, who seem to think they have a right to state "You're fat" anytime they feel like even to complete strangers...

I'm not fat, I am a little on the heavy side of healthy. And I am working on it... I just want to reach out and wring their necks at points because they really can be very insensitive.

Also, what's with the binge eating? I mean, I did fine for two weeks, then I had a day where I was so hungry I couldn't stop eating. Naturally hating myself for every bite... Anyway to control that? I mean what's the secret to avoiding days like that?
  • ThatDollSally
    ThatDollSally Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    In my book, losing a kilo in a week is pretty good! I think your friends just need to realize that this takes time. You can't just snap your fingers and the weight is gone, if so all of us would look like we belong on the cover of a magazine.

Just keep at it, you'll get there! :flowerforyou:
  • meryl135
    meryl135 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

Losing a kilo a week is great work, so don't dismiss it lightly ;)

As for being in Asia...try to keep a positive mind-set, understand that the genetics are different, the up-bringing is different (the people around you have probably been way more active than we are used to being in the West - even if it's just walking/biking around during the day on errands or work).

And now for the trickiest point: the "I've got a bottomless pit for a stomach" days. They hit me pretty hard too, and I DO reach for the junk. I find it's good to do a check-in first though, before I actually eat the food and ask what I could do that would distract me momentarily by making me happy or giggle (YouTube is always good for a laugh) - release the endorphins, drink a glass of water, and if you still want something to eat - portion out the junk in small, 100 cal portions and grab a piece of fruit afterwards.

ok...I'm done sounding like Oprah now.
  • lulubar
    lulubar Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Water Water Water - it's the only thing that keeps me from binging. I also log everything BEFORE I eat it - sometimes just the realization of how much of my daily calories will be taken up by what I'm wanting to stuff in my mouth will change my mind. Celery is always low calorie and crunchy and it usually satisfies my wanting to stuff myself.

As for cultural differences - and the insensitivity it includes, you have to not take that personally. I can imagine how disheartening that must be, and I'm sorry you have to deal with that, some things just suck. YOU do not though and you are on the right track - be strong, the destination is worth the journey. Good luck to you - you are doing a great job!!
  • muimuimui
    muimuimui Posts: 113
    Options
    Oh boy.
    Asia.
    Well. On the plus side the culture and general populous gives you encouragement to keep at your weight loss?
    I haven't wanted to go back there seeing as I'd be considered overweight there too;

Please ignore your friends. You're doing absolutely fantastic. Keep it up.

As for the binge eating, I can't suggest much more than whats already been said. But I think what helps me is eating smaller portions for breakfast/lunch/dinner. That way, when I do end up snacking in between (As I know I will :3) It'll still be in my calorie allowance. Plus smaller portions are healthier!
    Also. Healthy filling snacks.
    And as said before, lots of water : D

Good luck!