HRM and swimming?

Options
Who has worn a HRM while swimming? My son is taking swim lessons next week, and as he is 17 months, I am in the water with him for 30 min monday-friday, and he isin't swimming...I am:smile: . I looked up the estimated calories burned here on MFP and a few other sites an get anything from 140 calories to 440 calories for my weight. I have a HRM which says its ok to 30 m, but am kind of chicken to wear it in the water. Anyone have experiences, and about how many calories are you burning doing easy leisurely swimming? Thx!

Replies

• GIBride01
    GIBride01 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Who has worn a HRM while swimming? My son is taking swim lessons next week, and as he is 17 months, I am in the water with him for 30 min monday-friday, and he isin't swimming...I am:smile: . I looked up the estimated calories burned here on MFP and a few other sites an get anything from 140 calories to 440 calories for my weight. I have a HRM which says its ok to 30 m, but am kind of chicken to wear it in the water. Anyone have experiences, and about how many calories are you burning doing easy leisurely swimming? Thx!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Check this website:

http://search.polar.fi/search?q=swimming&site=us-en&client=polar&proxystylesheet=polar&output=xml_no_dtd&op=Search

It's a list of articles on the Polar web site related to using their HRMs during water-based activity.
  • brocksmom
    brocksmom Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I had on my polar ft40 on last week in the pool, it did great.

Karen
  • GIBride01
    Options
    Thanks for the responses...just a FYI, tried my Timex HRM in the pool with no problems, the thing says it is water resistant on the face...don't know why I thought it might blow up. And FYI part 2..packing a 17 month old 29# toddler who did NOT want to go to the swim instructor for 30 mins burns about 165 calories for a tired mom...:tongue:
  • danielle1009
    danielle1009 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I tried mine in the pool one time and it didn't work for me. I have one with a chest strap and it kept slipping so it couldnt keep my heart rate. I also do competitive swimming so the pace was fast, my HRM couldnt keep up hahah.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I swim with my polar F6 all the time. It's fine.

BUT

don't hit any buttons under water, the seal is only watertight if you don't touch the buttons!

That's a BIGGIE!
  • LosingIt4good
    LosingIt4good Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Thanks for letting me know GL... I have a timex also and it says its waterproof. Been meaning to try it out in the pool, so Im going to do that tonight. I do water aerobics and alot of swimming so that was initially why I wanted it, to see how many calories I burn, but have been in love with it for so many other reasons I havent used it in the pool yet.

Good to know it works ok in there, Im gonna try it out tonight
  • GIBride01
    Options
    I swim with my polar F6 all the time. It's fine.

BUT

don't hit any buttons under water, the seal is only watertight if you don't touch the buttons!

That's a BIGGIE!

Crap...I hit buttons. Oh well, it worked for me today after being in the pool last night. Here's hoping it works tomorrow!