im losing more than my targeted 1 pound per week, need help

Options
hello there folks

my exercise and diet is based on just 500 calories cut = 1 pound to lose per week.
but something weird happens wich is that im actually losing more than that for no reason i can find

im actually happy for that but....i wish to know the reason and cause of it...is it activity level maybe? i always put it on sedentary cause i only cut down the exercise calories to balance my 500 calories cuts.

other than that im a kinda stay-at-home guy no more activity than that.

need explainations plz :D

stats :

- 28 old male
- 5"6 height / 133.6 kg = 293.9 lbs weight
- BMR = 2400 x 1.2 ( sedentary lvl ) = 2900 so i cut my 500 calories = 2300 calories per day
- activity lvl = sedentary i guess cause only calories i burn is the 500 calories for my plan

thx for reading

Replies

• jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    when you begin to eat healthy the first week you will lose a lot of water weight, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just stick to your plan
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    Options
    Well, if you just started, it's because everyone loses more when they first start.

About a month into it, it will even out.
  • tmoyer1209
    tmoyer1209 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    it could be that clean eating has increased your metabolic rate.
  • sabrekism
    sabrekism Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    well,

a friend of mine been 5.5 months into it and he still lose 1-2 pounds on a 1 pound program....reason?

thx for help again :D
  • tiffanymariebrown
    tiffanymariebrown Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The same thing is happening to me! I have been unexplainably losing more than the 1 lb per week that I put in for my settings. I originally thought it was a coincidence but its good to know I 'm not alone. Thanks.
  • sabrekism
    Options
    The same thing is happening to me! I have been unexplainably losing more than the 1 lb per week that I put in for my settings. I originally thought it was a coincidence but its good to know I 'm not alone. Thanks.

how much ur losing ? and how long its been?
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind there's nothing magical about what MFP recommends to you for calories per day. It's all estimates. Your mileage may vary, according to your activity level, how much you eat, and your metabolism.

Similarly, you can set you goal to lose 2 pounds a week, but there's no guarantee you'll lose at that rate. It all depends on the person and usually, how much they have to lose.
  • NewTeena
    NewTeena Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I asked a similar question last week, and as it was said to me then (and I've also seen it said on biggest loser), if you have a higher starting weight, it is not uncommon to see higher numbers when you are beginning to lose weight.

I've lost 5 lbs in the 2 weeks I've been making better choices. :)

Feel free to add me, always happy to have more friends.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Your math is slightly off, but I doubt that's it. (2900-500 is 2400, and you've posted 2300). But still I agree that you're starting the weight loss, so you're shedding extra weight right now.

Also, you might have a good metabolism. You're a young guy, and some people just burn more calories.

Enjoy it, unless it's bothering you or you feel it's unhealthy.
  • sabrekism
    Options
    Your math is slightly off, but I doubt that's it. (2900-500 is 2400, and you've posted 2300). But still I agree that you're starting the weight loss, so you're shedding extra weight right now.

Also, you might have a good metabolism. You're a young guy, and some people just burn more calories.

Enjoy it, unless it's bothering you or you feel it's unhealthy.

hello no i like it and i hope it last long lol....but as u can see im a knowledge lovin guy sir i like to know more...u never know maybe some other guy ask same question and i be the person to answer him :D love to help ppl as i love to get help :D
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... are you cutting 500 twice?

- If your maintenance cals are 2900 and you cut 500 to create a deficit, then you would eat 2400 per day (without exercise) to lose 1 pound a week (roughly speaking).

- If you exercise off another 500 (and don't eat anything extra) you now have a deficit of 1000, meaning you could lose up to 2 pounds a week.
  • avk9802
    avk9802 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. You lose a lot of weight in the beginning. I think I lost 9 pounds my very first week. Mostly water I'm sure.
  • sabrekism
    Options

- If your maintenance cals are 2900 and you cut 500 to create a deficit, then you would eat 2400 per day (without exercise) to lose 1 pound a week (roughly speaking).

- If you exercise off another 500 (and don't eat anything extra) you now have a deficit of 1000, meaning you could lose up to 2 pounds a week.

the calories i cut from exercise i eat it in food ...im using exercise as a way to be able to eat more :P
  • chicklidell
    Options
    when you begin to eat healthy the first week you will lose a lot of water weight, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just stick to your plan

^^^this! water weight
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options

the calories i cut from exercise i eat it in food ...im using exercise as a way to be able to eat more :P

OK, so you're eating 2900 and exercising to burn 500?

In that case, you're doing it right according to the numbers - either you have a great metabolism, or it's initial water weight or your food and exercise estimates aren't quite spot on.
    I'd give it a few more weeks and if you want to change things up a little, try manually changing your calories to add an extra 100 cals per day and see how this works out for you.
  • sabrekism
    Options
    so activity lvl has nothing to do with it ?
  • slowly_changing12
    slowly_changing12 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    When I first started losing weight I was losing 3 pounds every week. Sometimes it went to 4 pounds. After awhile my weight loss began to shift. One week I would lose nothing, another week i would gain weight back, and some weeks i would lose 5 to 6 pounds....one time i lost 7. Shocker lol. Once time I lost 4 pounds back to back for 2 weeks. My weight loss jumps around alot. I was worried at first too. But I began to understand that my body works in a certain i guess. So far during my journey, my weight loss has got a little more difficult now. I because I am mostly at my solid weight lol. For the most part, i think weight loss varies depending on the person. I am very sure that you are going to be fine :)
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Lifestyle may not be as sedentary as you think. Without real exercise my calorie burn can still be 500 more than other days just by more movement.
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    The numbers are never quite so exact... Either you're not accurately measuring portion size or exercise burn. It's fairly easy to estimate, but hard to measure exactly. If you find you continue to lose faster than you want to, you can slightly increase your calories.
  • RyanWilson1993
    RyanWilson1993 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    The most you can lose without losing muscle is 3lbs, anymore than that will result in muscle loss