Here are the 8 reasons why you fall off the wagon

Options
1. No focus: you didn't set goals, you didn't put your goals in writing, and or you didn't keep your goals in mind daily (by reading them, affirming them, looking at a vision board, etc.)

2. No priorities: you may have set a goal, but you didn't put it on or near the top of your priorities list. For
example, your goal is six pack abs, but drinking beer and eating fast food on the weekend is higher on your priorities list than having a flat stomach.

3. No support system: you tried to go at it alone; no buddy system, training partners, family, spouse, friends, mentors or coaches to turn to for information and emotional support when the going got tough.

4. No Accountability: you didn't keep score for your own accountability - with a progress chart, weight record, measurements, food journal, training journal, and you didn't set up external accountability (ie, report to someone else or show your results to someone else)

5. No patience: you were only thinking short term and had unrealistic expectations. You expected 10 pounds a week or 5 pounds a week or 3 pounds a week, so the first week you lost "only" 1 or 2 pounds or hit a plateau, you gave up.

6. No planning: you winged it. You walked into the gym without having a workout in hand, on paper, you didn't plan your workouts into your weekly schedule; you didn't have a menu on paper, you didn't make time (so instead you made excuses, like "I'm too busy")

7. No balance: your diet or training program was too extreme. You went the all or nothing, "I want it now" route instead of the moderate, slow-and-steady wins the race route.

8. No personalization: your nutrition or training program was the wrong one for you. It might have worked for someone else, but it didn't suit your schedule, personality, lifestyle, disposition or body type.

Source: from Tom Venuto

Replies

• femme62209
    femme62209 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I like this!!! I can relate to a lot of them (for why I fell of the wagon in the past...) This also helped me reaffirm what I'm doing and exactly why its working for me. Thanks for sharing!
  • JennyZD
    JennyZD Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I have them all! Great post :) good reminder when I'm whining about something
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!
  • georgia98_98
    georgia98_98 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I didn't do #1 or 2... but I got the rest!! lol
  • crazywifewczx
    crazywifewczx Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    those are all so true and very important points.
  • stevemcqueengirl
    stevemcqueengirl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Love this - it is so true and a great reminder to stay on the wagon!
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • claresusan
    claresusan Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Shakes my head, so why didnt I write these - they are brilliant!!!
  • jenng38
    jenng38 Posts: 105
    Options
    Thank you for this! I recently fell off the wagon and it helps :) I am starting fresh (again) and I have set a goal to lose 10 lbs in February.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    #1 precisely why i'm having trouble right now, I have no small mini goals, I've reached all the ones I set from the beginning and I have yet to find any good middle of the road ones and I still have a long way to go. The last 5 lb and next 5 have been agony because I have no reason/reward for them. I keep trying to figure out why I want to keep going (aside from the obvious, better body/health/spirit) but that's the big goal, the small goals in between elude me.... :(
  • his_kid1
    his_kid1 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    good stuff
  • xonicolette
    xonicolette Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    BUMP!

This is soo true!
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options