Best foods to fight a cold/flu?

Options
I know the whole lots of liquids, Orange juice and clear fluids, chicken soup thing... Just curious if any of you have a specific food that helps you feel better quicker?

My boyfriend is a college professor and is coming down with a nasty something... I know he hates to miss class so I would like to help him feel better, ASAP.

Any tips appreciated!

Replies

• techigirl78
    techigirl78 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Ginger. The same they use with sushi. Helps with sore thoart. Just suck on it.
  • breeanreyes
    breeanreyes Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    if you can handle it, whole cloves of garlic will sear any sickness right out of ya! super good for a host of other things too :)
  • amythebaker
    Options
    Avoid the OJ...the citric acid will just irritate his sore throat. Not great calorie-wise, but a peppermint mocha always helps me! The warm coffee and mint soothe your throat and help clear your sinuses just a little, and the mocha...well...it's chocolate!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Chicken soup! I'm sure I have seen references to research that says it really does help.
    Personally I like toast with butter and vegemite when I'm sick but depending on where you live, that might not be so easy!
  • gayatrik
    gayatrik Posts: 173
    Options
    Black pepper in hot milk ...... it will help feel better..... or boil pepper in water and drink that decotion :)
  • Alkirra
    Alkirra Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Chop up 1 clove of Garlic
    Squeeze 1 wedge of fresh lemon

1 teaspoon of Honey if you must have it sweet

Pour hot water over the lot and make him drink it garlic pieces and all

If you have Fresh Sage the Herb - Chop 2 leaves of that up as well and put it in before pouring the water,

I raised my kids to adults on that home remedy, it makes you feel better almost instantly and lasts at least an hour. It also helps to kick the cold in the butt!
  • elainegreenfield
    Options
    My best advice is to take a whopping amount of echinacea capsules at the first sign of illness. I usually take 5 tablets that are 2500 mg. It's helped me to avoid the many big sicknesses going around here, even when I know I've been exposed. I try to keep it up for about a week, but it doesn't always have to be quite so much. I get EchinaMax at Walmart, they're 2500 mg. each. Tiny pills that pack a big punch!
  • auntdeedee87
    auntdeedee87 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Thanks yall!
  • ChanyRae
    ChanyRae Posts: 112
    Options
    Ginger. The same they use with sushi. Helps with sore thoart. Just suck on it.

I hate eating ginger, so I drink a lemon ginger tea and find it really helps :smile: