IS IT BAD TO EXERCISE AT NIGHT?

Options

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I work second shift. That means I work late and I sleep late. There's NO WAY in heck I will get up earlier than I have to in order to workout.

I workout after work or later at night. Heck, I'm known for being at the gym at 1am or later.

I've heard some people say it throws off their sleep, but I never had an issue with it (maybe because I'm a night owl?).

I would love to be able to go to the gym at 1am.

As for sleep, I can sleep anytime, anywhere. It comes in handy when working shift work.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    It's fine.
  • 1Michigal
    Options
    I think it's good to do it anytime you can. It sounds like when the baby is asleep you can have a little "me" time. Your exercise routine will feel more relaxing and you can really focus on what you are doing. I never could make my self exercise at home, because I was trying for daytime, so maybe I will try night or evening . When everyone's in bed, you can exercise naked if you want! Talk about being aware of what shape your body is in! But it also makes you feel more connected to your body, clothes keeps us out of total awareness of ourself...that's how we get out of shape. It really DOES happen before we know it!
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    lol. EXERCISE ANYTIME YOU LIKE
  • Gioooo
    Gioooo Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I work out around 8/830 pm to about 10 1030 pm. Just my preference I hate morning workouts :p
  • illwillie
    Options
    I do it all the time....its the best if you go to sleep right afterwards-metabolism at high gear to burn of that fat.
  • stablesong
    Options
    My boyfriend and his friends go to the gym at like 10 pm every night.

I work out at a church gym because it's all I can afford, and it closes at 8, 5 on Fridays. I usually go to the gym around 4 straight from school or no later than 6 pm just because of that.
    If I don't go to the gym, I do a Hip Hop Abs video or two, usually right before bed. Sometimes it gets me wound up but sometimes it actually helps me sleep.

If I exercise in the morning, I'm usually mega tired or sore for the rest of the day.
  • Beckym1205
    Beckym1205 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I do most of my exercising at night, so I hope its not bad lol. I think its probably better to exercise in the morning because I usually have more energy throughout the day when I do. However, I'm usually not able to fit it in in the morning, so exercising at night is better than not exercising at all.
  • brittanidigby
    brittanidigby Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I don't think so. I exercise all hours of the day.
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I work out in the mornings to get me going and at night to burn off dinner! LOL I sleep just fine!
  • alisahaggard
    Options
    I sure hope it's not - it's the only time I have! My husband leaves for work before 6 AM and I don't get home until 6 PM. After spending time with my 2 kids and swim lessons, dance class, other activities, then tucking them into bed, I get to head out for my runs. Tonight, I didn't even leave until after 9. The only complication I have is that it doesn't give me a lot of time to eat back ca
    Ories, and sometimes I end up under 1200 net as a result.
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to hear that exercising at night isn't bad because I do it everyday! I usually don't get to sleep till about 3am due to having to get my BF up, fed, dressed and off to work at 2:30am. I am so not a morning person either. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and am usually pretty stiff in the mornings anyway. I hit the pool around 2pm for a couple of hours for swimming workouts, then home to do Power 90 or UFC Trainer DVDs. Sometimes I do find that I'm a little wound up after working out at night, so I read or watch Adult Swim till I fall asleep. I agree with what someone else said that any exercise, no matter what time of day, is better than NO exercise at ALL!!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    I used to work out at 12 midnight till 1am. Exercise is BEST when you can do it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ibme64
    ibme64 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't thnk it's bad anytime you exercise... I think everyone needs to find what time works best for them! Night time is no good for me, it tends to keep me awake and makes it hard for me to go to sleep. I already struggle getting and staying a sleep... good luck finding your time!!! :flowerforyou:

1013235.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I usually exercise at night, but the only way it's "bad" for me personally is that I have the whole day to talk myself out of doing it :)
  • beautyreaps
    Options
    Your body cannot tell time. So, you may exercise whenever you like (: Plus, think of it this way, it's better to get a workout in than not to.

Personally, I used to workout past midnight over the summer due to my schedule and it worked out just fine for me. Your body has its own rhythms and if you have the energy to workout at that time, then do so.
  • NewTeena
    NewTeena Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I once wondered the same thing and googled the question and pretty much got the same answers people here are saying, no. I find I enjoy exercising at night better than I do in the morning.
  • Bradyns
    Options
    Nope; 4am jogs are amazing!!!!! :D
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Not bad at all - do it whenever it fits into your schedule. If night suits you, go for it!

However, you might like to start thinking about your daytiime routine and how you can fit in some exercise.
    It's important to make time for you too - maybe take the baby for a walk in the stroller or a sling, do a DVD while the baby sleeps, or dance around and make baby giggle while it's awake!