Hello

Options
Hi! My name is Mary and I am a 32 year old mother of 3. I am at the heaviest I have ever been at 386 lbs and I need to loose weight . I have been heavy pretty much all my life. I am an emotional eater. Unfortunately with every emotion I eat Happy, sad, bored or in between. I dont know where to start and I get more and more depressed with each pound gained. I need HELP!! So my sister suggested I come here. Hope it helps. Thank you for listening.

Replies

• marys_irish_ise1976
    Options
    Hi! My name is Mary and I am a 32 year old mother of 3. I am at the heaviest I have ever been at 386 lbs and I need to loose weight . I have been heavy pretty much all my life. I am an emotional eater. Unfortunately with every emotion I eat Happy, sad, bored or in between. I dont know where to start and I get more and more depressed with each pound gained. I need HELP!! So my sister suggested I come here. Hope it helps. Thank you for listening.
  • forestdancers
    forestdancers Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hello Mary

My names Brenda and I'm glad your here. So what is your main motivation and driving force behind your wanting to lose weight?
    I found that once I had found what really motivated me it has made things so much easier because my motivation is stronger than my cravings.
    Strangely what I picked as a motivatior wasn't what I always tried to lose weight for in the past. Those past things were mostly about apperence and my motivator now is about function. My fat was standing between me and the thing I want to do.

So find your true motivator and see if it can stand up to your emotional eating.

Best of luck.

Brenda
  • Reen39
    Reen39 Posts: 9
    Options
    Hi sister dear! I'm sooooooo glad U decided to come here! This is the most awesome site. You will find so much support ! Remember, today is the first day and your first step towards a better, healthy life! I am so proud of you! I know you can do this! Welcome, Welcome Welocome!!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • RNLeslie
    RNLeslie Posts: 150
    Options
    I'm an "every-emotion" eater too! Fear not - it is definitely possible! Not that I've lost all that much yet (this time), but I would say to try and focus each day on what you need to do to work toward your goal. Set short-term goals, and work in rewards for yourself when you meet them (just not food rewards!). My biggest success this time has been truly thinking of this as a life-long process. So if it doesn't happen as fast as I want it to, well that's fine. And if I slip? Well that's fine too. Tomorrow is a new day. But no matter what, I am not giving up this time. Ever.
    Best of luck. No matter what, DON'T GIVE UP! You are SO worth it!
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • kymcgill
    kymcgill Posts: 13
    Options
    Hi Mary
    I am new to this site and am at my all time high of 329. I am pushing 50 and have 4 grandkids to keep me happy. I need to lose weight for me and for them. I want to be around until they are grown and have my great grandchildren. That will not happen if I don't lose some weight and get healthy. No one knows this better than me, I am a nurse. I see the effects of being overweight every single day that I work. I am only on the computer part time but I would love to be a support for you, if you can do the same for me. Thanks, Kyra
  • RNLeslie
    Options
    Kyra,
    I'm in nursing school right now! Do you feel like a hypocrite? I sure do! How can I tell a patient what to eat or not to eat when clearly I haven't been in control of my own body?!? I'm glad I haven't had to do any patient education regarding that yet...:blushing:
    Good luck... I know we all can do it!
  • kymcgill
    kymcgill Posts: 13
    Options
    I am most definately a hypocrite. I do teaching all the time regarding nutrition.
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Hi, and welcome to THE best site on the web!
    Between the easy to use food counter (which by the way is SUCH an eye opener!) and all the wonderfully supportive members, you WILL be able to lose the weight that you want to, AND, it'll "almost" be easy doing it!
    I recommend logging ALL your foods BEFORE you have them, rather than later, as it tends to lead to better food choices. (not to mention you'll know if you've got enough numbers left to have a night time snack, like I ALWAYS try to do!) Some people also like to weigh and measure some things, such as meats, rather than just estimating and possibly being WAY off!
    Also, drink lots of water, that seems to help alot too. :drinker:
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome MFP, the greatest website ever. You will love it here. I do. I find this site so helpful, supportive, motivational, and everyone is so nice and friendly here. I just wanted to tell you good luck on your weight loss journey. You can do this. :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • RNLeslie
    Options
    I am most definately a hypocrite. I do teaching all the time regarding nutrition.

Wow, I bet that's hard. I think I would have to start off by saying: "Look, I know I may not look like the best person to tell you about this, but..." At least now that I'm actually losing weight, I can talk about that. And maybe the patient can identify with you, since you can tell them that you struggle with it too, and that it is NOT easy.
  • marys_irish_ise1976
    Options
    To: kymcgill:

Thank you for the message and I will most definitely be here as a support for you. Thank you for the vote of confidence mary