10k Race Strategy

Options
Hi guys,
I've been training for a half marathon for about 5 months, but 3 weeks ago I injured my hip flexors and had to stop running altogether for 2 weeks. I've just got back to running in the last few days. The race is this Saturday (3 days away!) and I'm not confident that I will be able to do the full 21km without re-injuring myself (plus its a small, fast field so run/walk or going really slowly isn't a good option).
I've decided to pull out of the half and enter the 10k race instead, it's not what I want to do but I think it is the smart choice.

The thing is - I have thought and planned for so long for the half marathon, now I'm a bit lost as to how to tackle 10km.
I'm the kind of person who likes to have a plan (ie, what pace for each section of the race, when to eat or drink etc) and I only have 3 days to get my head into gear. I'm not bothered about the distance, I know I've run much further during training, but I just don't quite know what strategies would be useful. I'd really love to hear your experiences or thoughts:
- do you eat/drink during a 10k? There will be drink stations and it is mid summer and seriously hot here, so I'm going to have to drink even if I don't eat.
- do you try for an even pace for the whole race or start slow then speed up or.... something else?
- do you break the race into sections and have an idea of pace for each of them
- am I just making this too complicated and I should just get out there and run??

Thanks for your thoughts!

Replies

• monkeymouse74
    Options
    Bump,Sorry I cant help, but I thought it was worth a bump to see if anyone has some ideas..:blushing:
  • jeffrey2584
    jeffrey2584 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I run 5K and 10K's and always go for negative splits......

works out best....and u end up finishing strong ....which looks a lot cooler than crashing and burning or stumbling across the finish line....
  • btdublin
    btdublin Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Bump.

Just reading about negative splits. Sounds a good strategy for a weak runner like myself.

Have just signed up for my first ever trail races: a set of three 8k runs over the next 3 months. Starting on 25th Feb. I am currently just about able to run 5k without walking. Slowly building up now.
  • malins2
    malins2 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Bump.
    I have my first 10K in about 3 weeks time and need a plan too.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You don't need to take anything like gels for a 10K.

Do you have any idea of what kind of pace you hope to run? Depending on the course I'd push it a little starting out, but not crazy, and once you get into your rythm, see how u feel and how much more you think you can push the last mile or 2.