Am I really Burning this much?

Options
I just got my BodyMedia Fit LINK today, and put it on around 7-7:30 pm. It estimated that before that I had burned about 1500 calories total (based on my BMR I suppose). And Now it is 11:30 and it says my total is about 2450 calories! And today was a rest day! If I am burning this many calories, why aren't I losing weight quicker? Is it possible I'm in starvation mode? Or is my device faulty?

It's also saying I did moderate work, and the most moderate work I've done while wearing it was walking (and I'm talking about walking from one room to the next, or out to the car.). And I drove, but I sure as heck don't count that as work.

Any help would be appreciated!

I'm going to open my diary, please don't be mean to me, any friendly advice is wanted. Sometimes I'm just not hungry, sometimes I'm really hungry.

My stats are
5 foot 7 inches
195 pounds
19 years old.

Replies

• supershiny
    supershiny Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9" and 217 lbs and I burn about that much on a rest day. I don't know about the starvation mode, but thought I would corroborate that number :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    I just got my BodyMedia Fit LINK today, and put it on around 7-7:30 pm. It estimated that before that I had burned about 1500 calories total (based on my BMR I suppose). And Now it is 11:30 and it says my total is about 2450 calories! And today was a rest day! If I am burning this many calories, why aren't I losing weight quicker? Is it possible I'm in starvation mode? Or is my device faulty?

It's also saying I did moderate work, and the most moderate work I've done while wearing it was walking (and I'm talking about walking from one room to the next, or out to the car.). And I drove, but I sure as heck don't count that as work.

Any help would be appreciated!

I'm going to open my diary, please don't be mean to me, any friendly advice is wanted. Sometimes I'm just not hungry, sometimes I'm really hungry.

My stats are
    5 foot 7 inches
    195 pounds
    19 years old.
    Well your BMR is around 1750, so really another 700 calories doesn't sound unreasonable. But when I went on a roller coaster wearing my Bodybugg, I got a 150 calorie burn because of the accelerometer.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mdailey93
    Options
    I am 5'9" and 217 lbs and I burn about that much on a rest day. I don't know about the starvation mode, but thought I would corroborate that number :)

Well that helps... thank you (: I think I'm just shocked that I'm burning that much. But since you are 2 inches taller than me and just a little heavier, then It's probably right! Weird!
  • mdailey93
    Options
    [/quote]Well your BMR is around 1750, so really another 700 calories doesn't sound unreasonable. But when I went on a roller coaster wearing my Bodybugg, I got a 150 calorie burn because of the accelerometer.

IDEA Fitness member

[/quote]

Thanks for the advice! Do you still use yours? Do you find it's reliable, other than the roller coaster thing?
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Oh, absolutely. I've worn one for about 3 months now, and I usually burn maybe 1900-2000cal on really sedentary days, 2300 on moderate days and 2600 on days I do an hour of cardio.
    [I'm just under 5'7" and weigh 141lbs]

When I drive or sit, it gives just about the same METs as when I'm sleeping, so it's fine with differential movement like driving a car. Sitting at my desk at work isn't much better for burning cals...
    Amazing how many cals I burn by just cleaning the house, cooking and things like window shopping!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! Do you still use yours? Do you find it's reliable, other than the roller coaster thing?
    As of late, no. But I did use it consistently for 2 years and it was pretty accurate. I used it mostly to gauge my workouts and how many calories I burned exercising.

IDEA Fitness member
  • mdailey93
    Options
    Thanks guys! I needed the reassurance, I think I need to start eating more, I've been eating 1400 cals at the most usually, but I want to give my body as much as it needs, and apparently it uses more than I thought!
  • grannynickel
    grannynickel Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am curious about this. How does eating more help one to lose weight?
  • mdailey93
    Options
    I am curious about this. How does eating more help one to lose weight?

Well as far as I know (and I'm no expert) if you don't eat enough, your weight loss comes to a standstill. Now, I'm just not sure how much is enough for each person...